Topic: Correct thumb ring use? and manchu thumb rings.

Hi every one,
I recently bought a kaya KTB along with one of their small thumb rings. The bow is great for the money but the thumb ring is so painful it's unusable. It slips over my thumb on the side like it should but I don't think it's a great fit as i have a very long thumb for it's thickness if you know what I mean and it sits so low on the thumb. Any way, My question is , should the string rest on the lip of the ring or in the groove under the lip. I've seen people with different thumb rings say both. I was originally using it in the groove but that really hurt my thumb so I'm thinking it should be on the lip. I've had real problems in making my own ring but I've seen these manchu thumb rings and they seem alot more

Thumbs up

Re: Correct thumb ring use? and manchu thumb rings.

There are topics on thumb ring use that I'm sure someone here can direct you to. Hang tight. smile

Thumbs up

In fact, .... click on "Thumb Rings" topic above.

Thumbs up

Best explanation/guide for the Manchu style rings I've seen:

http://mandarinmansion.com/articles/Usi … Dekker.pdf

Thumbs up

That looks REALLY tricky!      yikes

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

That looks REALLY tricky!      yikes

Nah, it'll take about 50 shots before you realize how terrible every other draw method is.  As of now I can't shoot without a ring, and it feels like an extension of me.  I can't stress how vital it is to make your ring perfect for you (and only you).  a couple of millimeters off messes everything up which makes it feel clunky and bad.

Thumbs up

Any advice for those of us who don't have the opportunity to handle a 'professionally made' ring, or be fitted by someone who knows what they're talking about?  It looks plenty easy to make one, especially the Manchu style, but figuring out whether it fits right or whether I just think it does seems like a challenge.

Thumbs up

I've bought like 2 off the net and made like 4 so far. The ones off the net don't seem so great as the deffinition of what is a small and large thumb is different ( i have a particularly long thumb for it's diameter).I've made a few but simply through the matteral they were made out of and bad design they have turned out bad. That said now I have a manchu that works with my low weight bow and that feels awesome. I'm definitely going to keep making them untill I get a good one. I think the truth is the only real thing you can do is to make them out of good materal and keep trying them untill they feel good. That's what I'm doing.It's costly though i've spent a not insubstantial sum on this, I think it will be worth it in the end though.

Thumbs up

The Manchu style ring looks as though the string pressure is pulling straight off the large knuckle of the thumb, whereas with rings that require bending the thumb and placing the fore finger over the thumbnail puts the pressure more on the first thumb joint or divided between the two. Am I correct on this, or no, and if correct, which is the stronger method? As of now I have never used a thumb ring. Just trying to determine which way to start.

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

The Manchu style ring looks as though the string pressure is pulling straight off the large knuckle of the thumb, whereas with rings that require bending the thumb and placing the fore finger over the thumbnail puts the pressure more on the first thumb joint or divided between the two. Am I correct on this, or no, and if correct, which is the stronger method? As of now I have never used a thumb ring. Just trying to determine which way to start.

In my experience, amgakji, without a groove carved into it, put all the pressure on the under side of the last joint of the thumb and all the tension on the middle knuckle of the thumb. The end digit may as well be for decoration as, for me, it's the fingers that keep the digit pressed into the cove of the ring and the ring in place.

Manchu rings, worn on top of the end knuckle, rely on the inherent friction from the fit of the ring on your thumb and the friction created by bending your thumb within the ring. So they perhaps distribute weight more evenly. You don't really feel it though. What you feel the most, assuming you're not using your index to lock your thumb, is having to squeeze your thumb into your middle finger while trying to bend your thumb within the ring. If you lock your thumb with your index the whole thing is much easier.
You can wear them under the knuckle and successfully shoot like that if you stuff some leather up the back to take up the slack. This would rely on friction and the width of the knuckle to stop it coming off. The feeling is pretty much the same.

Thumbs up

11 (edited by misterwonky 2013-12-15 06:02:52)

"Columbarius wrote:

Any advice for those of us who don't have the opportunity to handle a 'professionally made' ring, or be fitted by someone who knows what they're talking about?  It looks plenty easy to make one, especially the Manchu style, but figuring out whether it fits right or whether I just think it does seems like a challenge.

I can't offer advice on "professional made" rings, because I've never bought any.  I guess I figured that I know my thumb better than they do, and I needed to learn from scratch.  If you look back in the thumb ring section you'll find a post by me looking for advice, and the guys here helped me resolve my obstacles (If I had to pick the best thing about the Korean community, it's the very dense amount of great people that want to help).

Make some rings out of cueballs....it sounds like a pain, but it works EXTREMELY fast (I can make one by hand with a dremel in about 30 mins or so...excluding polishing).  When I first started I wanted to get horn, bone, or metal, but all of these would've been a terrible idea as they're expensive materials and I didn't know how to properly make one yet.  My first 4 rings were trashed if that tells you anything, and my 5th and 6th one weren't very good either (but usable); the hardest part about making rings is you know from experience what works and what doesn't.  The rings that I've trashed all looked PERFECT, but they didn't create a good synergy with my lovely bow, and without the synergy it messes up everything out from the foundation of your gear.

The only tip I can offer is to not change the style around a lot, as there's many different origins, and because it isn't comfy doesn't mean it's the style, but rather that you messed up somewhere (this is tedious, but vital for bettering them).  Also, flair out the top part of the ring to distribute the pressure.

Remember, a properly fitted ring will feel good, be as small and as thin as you can make it for how you shoot (no excess/bulk...it's protection not jewelry).  However, I have made on PERFECT ring that, once put on, I can't even feel it, and that doesn't change when I draw back towards the 60lb area (with my draw length).  Reading over tutorials and comments, there was a lot of talk about swelling of your thumb with a good ring, and I assumed there was a certain level of pain involved, but there isn't, and the swelling should be very minimal (like a regular finger ring that you keep messing around with....you know how that makes it swell a little).  Anyway, good luck man, and don't forget to post some pictures of your ring(s) when they're done!

Thumbs up