1 (edited by MJKarcher 2013-09-24 21:51:49)

Topic: Leather thumbrings and string placement?

Hello,

I got my Samick MIND 50 #30 this monday. I have been shooting with bows about 6 years (first with olympic target, then traditional bows and now with this Samick).

I made my first leather thumb rings today and I have a question regarding them.

What is the correct string placement when using the leather tab?

Green or red place on the photo?

Blue: on the thumb pad
Green: on the thumb joint
Red: below the thumb joint

And how how much you need to bend the thumb? Kay's Thumbring book says that you should not bend thumb too much (with "hard" rings", maybe it's not same with leather ones).

Post's attachments

Untitled.jpg 58.68 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

Re: Leather thumbrings and string placement?

I have a hard ring and a leather one, I can get about three shots in a row with my leather one before I have to switch. I haven't devoted a pile of time getting used to my leather ring but I find I shoot a little better with it than I do with my hard ring.

I would say the green line is where the placement will be and your thumb will bend more with leather than horn as the horn is thicker and not flexible.

Thumbs up

Re: Leather thumbrings and string placement?

I'm no expert by any means on the use of a Thumbring, but on my leather one it would be the Green line.  I wanted to learn the thumbring as my favourite Bow is a Grozer Avar, and it seems more in keeping with the philosophy.  I had a terrible time with hard rings and couldn't find one that didn't give me a lot of pain.  I bought an old leather belt from a secondhand store and made my own.  I found it so much easier and less painful with my home made leather one, once my thumb had toughened up a bit.

Thumbs up