Topic: Am I shooting with wrong arrows?

Hello,

A newbie has a few questions to experts.
I got my first bow, which is 48" 30# Kaya KTB 4 days ago.  This is my first bow ever.
I believe my draw length is 27.2".
I ordered Easton genesis blue v2 arrows.  Size is 1820.  The length is 30". I ordered them from Amazon because it says its for target practicing.  I also found out that the arrows are for youth.
The fletch of arrows is little less than 3". Can this be a problem for my bow?

Today was my first time, actually shot arrows.  Wow what an exciting and great feeling!  I was afraid that the arrow or the string, or the fletch will cut my arm, hand, and my face.  Luckily, I did not have any of this problems!!! Except every time I shot arrows, they all went to right.
I tried it 10 feet away from my target, 8 feet, and even 5 feet, all the arrows went right.

I am sure its my form that I need to work on, but I am wondering whether I am using a wrong arrow for Korean bow.
I searched here, and I found that increasing draw length will help arrows not going to right.  Ill try that when I shoot next time.

Any advice will be great help for me!

Thank you.

Thumbs up

Re: Am I shooting with wrong arrows?

Definitely draw farther. Ideally draw until you almost feel the point on your thumb. This is safer with longer points, not sure what points your arrow has.

Also you should hold the bow slightly turned away from you (so there's a larger than necessary gap between the bowstring and your forearm). This twists the bow when you shoot and helps the arrow avoid hitting the bow.

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Definitely draw farther. Ideally draw until you almost feel the point on your thumb. This is safer with longer points, not sure what points your arrow has.

Also you should hold the bow slightly turned away from you (so there's a larger than necessary gap between the bowstring and your forearm). This twists the bow when you shoot and helps the arrow avoid hitting the bow.

Thank you for the advice Mule.
Ill try to draw farther next time.  I am trying to make a gap(about 3-4fingers between my arm and the string). Is this enough gap?  Or should I make more gap?

So 3" fletches of arrows are not really problem?

Thumbs up

Just for the update.
I havent really shot arrows because I am in process of making my own thumb ring.  I will shoot a lot once I finish making my ring.
Anyway, I made a nocking point as followed bluelake's instruction. 
I only shot 2arrows because my thumb can't handle more than that.  The arrows flew straight! 
It seems like the solution was, drawing a bit farther, proper nocking point, and changing the arrow fletch direction.
Im very happy.

Thumbs up