Topic: Korean Archery Book

Thought I'd bring this over here for those who haven't seen it.  I will mention, however, that the price is now $30 and not $25 (I have to update the page).

http://www.koreanarchery.org/images/bookcover.jpg

http://www.koreanarchery.org/index.php? … ;Itemid=82

Thumbs up

Re: Korean Archery Book

As far as I know, this is the only book about korean archery in English. So it's a must have for people interested in the subject. I also have a Korean book, with many good drawings on shooting form, how to brace and adjust a hornbow (including the use of dogigae) etc. Now, I wish I could read Korean...

Thumbs up

Jose: What is the name / reference to your Korean book?

Thumbs up

It was offered to me by the people of "Korea Gungsulwon" as "Korea archery book for shooting technique". Of course, the original title is in Korean, so I'm clueless if that's the exact translation of the title.

Thumbs up

It was probably Joseoneui Gungsul (조선의 궁술), which was originally written in the 1920s; it is the basis for all books written on the subject.  The original was written in an archaic form of hangeul, the Korean alphabet, along with a lot of hanja (Chinese characters).  Some people were working on an updated version, which you might have.

Thumbs up

Thomas, out of curiosity, is there a bilingual edition of your book (Korean with English), or one of the joseoneui gungsul?

Thumbs up

naddum wrote:

Thomas, out of curiosity, is there a bilingual edition of your book (Korean with English), or one of the joseoneui gungsul?

Aside from definitions, no on the first part.  Regarding the second book, not that I know of.

T

Thumbs up

Thomas, I think mine is a different book. I can't see Korean characters in my computer, but when I googled your title, I got images of different books.

Thumbs up

Original book:

http://user.chollian.net/~untitle1/2006/60226/60226_11_front.jpg

New book:

http://www.mooye.net/imgdata/mooye_net/201003/2010031522287651.jpg

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing!

Thumbs up

Probably starting this next year, I'll be working on a new, revised edition of my book.  It's hard to say when it'll be finished, as I hope to add a lot to it.

With that said, I'd like to ask for your suggestions, so that the new book will be everything you hoped for in a book on Korean traditional archery.  First, let me mention a few things I am aiming for (pun definitely intended).  I hope to make it a color edition (if possible), rather than b/w.  Also, I plan to use revised romanization, rather than the McCune-Reischauer method.  I plan to add more chapters (such as one on using tong-a/pyeonjeon).  I also hope to make it a lot less academic and more fun.  Still, I'd like to have all of your input!  smile

Thomas

Thumbs up

I have a first draft of my revised, color book edition finished, but there is still more to go.  Here is the cover in any case:

http://koreanarchery.org/skybookcover.jpg

Thumbs up

If you're still looking for input, the thing that's vexing me when I practice right now (three-finger on a kaya khan, but still) is grip.  I find the lack of a concavity difficult to hold onto without torquing on release, so a discussion of how to hold the small grip consistently and steadily would be great to see.

Thumbs up

Columbarius wrote:

If you're still looking for input, the thing that's vexing me when I practice right now (three-finger on a kaya khan, but still) is grip.  I find the lack of a concavity difficult to hold onto without torquing on release, so a discussion of how to hold the small grip consistently and steadily would be great to see.

Thanks, Columbarius.  In my original edition, I covered how to grip the bow consistently; it is also in the new one.  Also, my new edition is updated, and, as it will primarily be in electronic form, I can keep it updated, so if something needs clarification, I can do it.

Thumbs up +1

15 (edited by Pedro C 2016-09-09 20:13:40)

1. How does the kta "clicker" technique work? How do you know you've reached exactly full draw?

I find it hard to feel the arrowhead exactly, and there are two ridges so it's hard to know which one is touching the back I guess - do you feel the arrowhead touch the bow's arrow pass/back..., or feel with the thumb, and/or index of the bow hand?

2. Some details about amgakji and sugakji use would be nice, ie should the thumb be relaxed? which parts of the thumb? little/middle/ring finger tight in a fist like in Ottoman locks? How angled should the thumb be near the beginning and at the end of the draw? Is there some sort of unintended back tension release or something?

Looking forward to it!

16 (edited by geoarcher 2016-09-09 22:24:08)

I've always wondered about appropriate left hand technique.  I thought it was supposed to be something akin to what this guy who pops up on youtube suggests here and the purpose to allow the arrow to clear the grip area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDn7bb-OBPY

Also what is the purpose of putting a twist on the string again and how is it supposed to look like exactly?

Thumbs up

Pedro C wrote:

1. How does the kta "clicker" technique work? How do you know you've reached exactly full draw?

I find it hard to feel the arrowhead exactly, and there are two ridges so it's hard to know which one is touching the back I guess - do you feel the arrowhead touch the bow's arrow pass/back..., or feel with the thumb, and/or index of the bow hand?

Generally, it will be with it touching your bow-hand thumb.

2. Some details about amgakji and sugakji use would be nice, ie should the thumb be relaxed? which parts of the thumb? little/middle/ring finger tight in a fist like in Ottoman locks? How angled should the thumb be near the beginning and at the end of the draw? Is there some sort of unintended back tension release or something?

Whew!  Many questions...  When drawing, the thumb will be rigid; it relaxes upon release.  For the most part, the tension is at the knuckle.  Yes, the rest of the fingers are often in a bit of a fist, as you said; however, it really depends upon the archer, as each has his/her style.  The tip of the thumb is at a 90 degree angle, and maintains that throughout the draw.  Not quite sure about your last question, but I will mention that there are muscles one uses in archery that most people do not.

Looking forward to it!

Thumbs up +1

18 (edited by Pedro C 2016-09-11 10:39:02)

Thanks. I think, the more information of how to have a clean release, the better..

maybe close up pictures of the bow hand and the thumb touching the arrowhead

Are these books currently available? Not much of an eReader.

Thumbs up

madschaf1 wrote:

Are these books currently available? Not much of an eReader.

Yes, they are still available.  I don't currently have them in stock, but check with Freddie Won (ktb@koreanbow.com); he might have them right now...

Thumbs up

I just read Bluelake's Traditional Korean Archery on my Kindle.  To a newbie like me it's a great primer for Korean archery.

Thumbs up

I too bought this on kindle, it was a real help. Thanks Bluelake!

Thumbs up