Topic: Curricula

I am currently working on putting together curricula for different subjects, which I plan to eventually offer online, including the following:

Korean traditional archery (practical/instructional)

Horn bow crafting

Bamboo arrow crafting

The last two I hope to enlist a Korean horn bowyer and fletcher.  As my horn bow video bowyer has been paralyzed for the past dozen years, I will need to find another, but I believe I can interest my fletcher friend into reprising his role from the bamboo arrow video.  The traditional archery course would be something I teach myself.

I would like to get others' input as I prepare the curriculum for each.  What are important subjects/steps that you would really like covered in these courses?

Thumbs up

2 (edited by WillScarlet 2014-11-16 18:49:40)

Re: Curricula

Looking forward to this Thomas! In bamboo arrow making would like more "in depth" how to with the heating and straightening aspect.  smile

Thumbs up +1

3 (edited by geoarcher 2015-02-08 16:34:07)

Glad to hear this.

In terms of crafting, I'm always interested in seeing how splice pieces for the bows core are shaped and how the splices are cut so it all fits perfectly together. 

For arrows, I'm curious how dowels for the nock ends are shaped and glued on plus what type of glues are used.  Same technical aspects for fletching as well.  Oh, and more detail on how blunted heads are installed.

Thumbs up +1

I have a friend who time to time visit China.He can buy me some Issinglas "MAW" from croacker fish. But - problem is select that right one - from many products MAW in Chines magazines…I think ,koreans bow masters  use same or close species  MAW-isinglass.  Can you , Thomas  ask for very detail name of this isinglass in Korea /China ?I know Korea - not China…but maybe same fish- same product...

Thumbs up

For China, I'm not sure, but in Korea, it's 민어 (民魚) 부레풀.

Thumbs up

Thanks,Thomas.Maybe its help me. But still needed chines real name. Because was menu variation /names too/ ,evan source (different fishes) .

Thumbs up

You might like to ask Stephen Selby over on ATARN.  There are different varieties of croaker, including yellow and brown, so I understand what you mean.

Thumbs up

Yes, thats what i do.Now i evan hear about "free" post costs from china- maybe not only cell phones and other "s…its" but isinglass too  smile

Another interesting question is bamboo. Kor. masters work with dry seasoned bamboo , or "green" bamboo ?Cose carving work with dry bamboo was very problematic , vith very small chance to good result ( 15-10 % ).In  you tube films i think -see that some % of carved bamboo billets was cracked in longitude - ame like in mi work- and K.msters still use him .(?)

Thumbs up

Dusan1 wrote:

Yes, thats what i do.Now i evan hear about "free" post costs from china- maybe not only cell phones and other "s…its" but isinglass too  smile

Another interesting question is bamboo. Kor. masters work with dry seasoned bamboo , or "green" bamboo ?Cose carving work with dry bamboo was very problematic , vith very small chance to good result ( 15-10 % ).In  you tube films i think -see that some % of carved bamboo billets was cracked in longitude - ame like in mi work- and K.msters still use him .(?)

A few clips from my video...

Post's attachments

hbvid035.JPG 28.42 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-02-09 

hbvid038.JPG 27.23 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

hbvid042.JPG 22.32 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

Yes…thanks.Thats what i remember  from your video and what i afraid…green bamboo.In central EU little problem found good green bamboo.

That crisscross lines vith knife is logical - i make it too.But vith lines if curved dry bamboo - some longitude cracs was always observed. Evan in another Korean masters videos i see long cracs in half finish bows before sinewing…Still use in finish prices...

Thumbs up