Topic: Low profile feathers

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK or Europe where I can get hold of low profile barred feathers suitable to copy a Korean traditional arrow? I've looked at feather cutters, but nobody seems to offer blades anything like the profile of a Korean fletching.

How difficult is it to hand cut with scissors from full length turkey feathers? Any tips?Does the slightest irregularity in the cut throw off the arrow in flight?

TIA.

Thumbs up

Re: Low profile feathers

There is no need to dramatize the cutting feathers manually. In the past it has also been cut by hand (just as they do today). It takes a steady hand and sharp scissors.

Thumbs up

jchocz wrote:

There is no need to dramatize the cutting feathers manually. In the past it has also been cut by hand (just as they do today). It takes a steady hand and sharp scissors.

Agreed.         wink

Thumbs up

If you want to be consistent, make yourself a template to lay along side each feather, and cut to the template. Cutting before or after attaching the feathers to the shafts shouldn't pose any problems either way. Just a matter of preference.

Thumbs up

You need a 5~5.5 inch parabolic or shield cutter. Now what you do is raise the feather inside the cutter so the feather doesn't get cut to the full size. Using a 5.5 inch cutter, instead of a 140mm long and 16mm high fletch you'll get a 110mm long and 9mm high fletch which is perfect for Korean arrows.

http://herbsarchery.com/variosize.JPG
"The fletches above were all cut with a 4" parabolic blade by adjusting the base plate for height and length." from http://herbsarchery.com/herbsfeathercutter.html shows what I mean

If cutting feathers with scissors, taping the feathers with drafting tape makes them much stiffer and easier to cut. Alternatively you can heat up a hacksaw blade over a stove and use it to burn the feathers to shape.

Also if you're going to be cutting/burning feathers by hand, don't use turkey fletches. They're expensive and honestly don't look or feel very good. Get some pheasant feathers instead and strip the feathers yourself. You end up with a much thinner stem/quill and the feathers just look better overall

Thumbs up

roll  Dramatise? Hardly...

Thanks Mule and Will S.

I had no idea you could adapt the cutter blade. Mule, I'll try your suggestions for hand cutting as I can get pheasant and wild goose feathers.

Thumbs up