Topic: Horn Bow Bowyers

I was wondering how many Korean bowyers are still making the horn bow and who is considered the best?  I also read somewhere that the horn bows of 20+ years ago where wider than those produced now; can anyone verify this?

Thumbs up

Re: Horn Bow Bowyers

There are thirteen bowyers recognized by the Korean National Archery Association and probably a few more 'unofficial' ones

Thumbs up

jbl wrote:

I was wondering how many Korean bowyers are still making the horn bow and who is considered the best?  I also read somewhere that the horn bows of 20+ years ago where wider than those produced now; can anyone verify this?

Yes, I think you are right.  Old Korean horn bows were wider than current ones.

Thumbs up

joomong wrote:
jbl wrote:

Why? What's the difference?

Thumbs up

NickAntz wrote:
joomong wrote:
jbl wrote:

Why? What's the difference?

I am not so sure, but I will ask around people. I saw old pictures of horn bows, and indeed they were wider.

Thumbs up

6 (edited by geoarcher 2020-12-09 14:16:12)

Having been on a horn bow/gak-gung kick recently, I have been watching a lot of videos and googling images on the subject.  While I'm not sure about all the ages of the bows I'm seeing exactly, I have been noticing many wider limb gak-gung, definitely wider than the one I have at least.  Here's an interesting pic:

https://i.imgur.com/mVsdY7Z.jpg

I'd wager to seay the three to the right may fall into the +20 year ago category, that is working back from 2015.  According to one article I read and posted excerpts from on a different thread, there are fewer than 20 people in the country who make gak-gung in Korea.

Would love to know myself who is considered the best.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by geoarcher 2020-12-30 23:01:31)

geoarcher wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/mVsdY7Z.jpg

Now that I have one at 60lbs@28', I see that most of these may just be in that draw range and rather that's why their limbs are so wide.  Hard to say exactly though.  Comparatively speaking, my first guk-gung rates 45@28" and the limbs are very narrow on that one.

Thumbs up

8 (edited by geoarcher 2021-01-29 16:50:24)

Found this interesting discussion that Bede did over at  the old ATARN forum regarding Joseon era hornbows:

https://atarn.net/phpBB2/forum2/topic25 … 79a2d05afb

Not sure if the design principles discussed influenced gak-gung over 20 plus years ago but its worth a read nonetheless.

Thumbs up

Interesting read, thanks for posting that.

Thumbs up

ShinLa wrote:

Interesting read, thanks for posting that.

You're welcome.

Thumbs up