1 (edited by Pedro C 2017-01-31 09:28:40)

Topic: Hello

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to archery, though I've had an interest in it for a long time.

I've considered buying some sort of Korean style bow but my "full"/longest draw length appears to be around 39"/99cm, (I'm at least 6'1"/185cm tall) and I'd like to be able to draw that far. It'd probably be 36-38", but I would just like to play it safe... and I don't think I've seen any commercial bows that can be safely drawn further than 36". I did make a ~50" long nock to nock PVC bow with a lot of string follow that I ended up snapping by trying to draw it all the way to my shoulder.

...Perhaps a Hwarang janggung will actually be enough for me. I might get one once I get better, hopefully not too late. I'm thinking, perhaps 40#@28"/65-70#@35" or so

I have a hungarian type fiberglass/bamboo bow and a long, hickory flatbow. I took an interest in Korean archery because of the beauty and efficiency of the Korean bow, and because of the distances they shoot them at.

I've thought of eventually getting a korean laminated bow when I get better, but just drawing to right underneath my ear (probably around 32-33"), which I can already do with my flatbow. Or I could build a PVC bow with really long ears of bamboo...

Oh well. Yeah. This forum is really interesting. Shame it's so inactive now

edit 2017: haha that draw length was so ridiculous. I mean, I'd probably have something similar to that if I did Kyudo because of the high wrist and the long extension, drawing to behind the head and sometimes behind shoulder even. 33" is more than enough with Korean form, in fact it feels like really stretching it, at least with the very open Korean stance (or maybe it's the draw weight..). I'm going with a 31.5" draw length (2ja 7.5 chi arrows) - enough to draw a bit past my ear, under my ear

Re: Hello

Welcome!  Activity comes and goes (often seasonally).

Thumbs up +1

3 (edited by morton509 2015-08-25 18:02:50)

I'm 6ft and recently got the larger Hwarang.  I draw roughly 32" under the ear.  I don't feel like I'm maxing out the bow at that draw length.  With the Kaya windfighter I also have, I do feel like it reaches the maximum draw length capabilities at 32".  The 36"-38" draw you want seems wild, I don't know if the janggung Hwarang can reach that.  I'm pretty sure they can make custom length bows for a little extra cash.  Message Bluelake for more info,  he can answer all your questions.  What part of California are you from?  There is a traditional Korean archery festival in Valley Center outside of San Diego in the beginning of Oct.

Thumbs up +1

morton509 wrote:

I'm 6ft and recently got the larger Hwarang.  I draw roughly 32" under the ear.  I don't feel like I'm maxing out the bow at that draw length.  With the Kaya windfighter I also have, I do feel like it reaches the maximum draw length capabilities at 32".  The 36"-38" draw you want seems wild, I don't know if the janggung Hwarang can reach that.  I'm pretty sure they can make custom length bows for a little extra cash.  Message Bluelake for more info,  he can answer all your questions.  What part of California are you from?  There is a traditional Korean archery festival in Valley Center outside of San Diego in the beginning of Oct.

Thanks for the info. I'll actually be in UCSD during October.