Topic: Hello friends!

Hello friends. I'm 23 y.o. Korean immigrant currently residing in DFW Texas area.

From researching my relatively new found interest in archery, I've found you guys and could not thank you enough for all the help I've received from creeping on your forums.

I wanted to introduce myself here and also ask some questions regarding selecting the perfect bow for a beginner like me. ( I could also move this question part to the bow section if that would be more appropriate!)

I've been shooting for about a few months now at a local archery group and I feel it is time for me to invest a big chunk of change for my own Korean bow.(!!!) Here are few things that I had some questions about in regarding purchase of one of these beauties.

1) Still being very new to archery, and being a relatively smaller guy (5'9'' 145~#), I found 30# to be comfortable. Most online stores I've looked at only carry 35#+ for Korean bow. Will this be a problem for me? is 29'' draw appropriate as well?

2) Regarding the online stores, I saw on other threads directing people to certain admins here and few websites such as 3 rivers etc. What is the most reliable place to purchase my bow to be shipped to North America? (TX)

3) From several brands that I've seen recommended, what would be the more appropriate fit for a beginner such as me? Kaya KTB, Khan KTB, Kaya Nomad, YMG, SMG, KMG, etc etc. All of these bows look beautiful to me and I have a hard time choosing one. If you can help me narrow down to a few or explain pros and cons I'd truly appreciate your help.

4) What other accessories are necessary for a beginner? I understand thumb ring is required (also how do you measure your thumb ring size?!) and arrows with appropriate nocks are necessary, what else should I be shopping for? Arm guard, gloves, etc etc. Should I rent for now at my range or do I need a specific glove due to not having a rest?

I apologize for asking so many questions with my introduction. But thank you for reading my post and all the help you've given me so far in the forums. Hope to talk to you guys more in the future!

Thumbs up +1

Re: Hello friends!

Hi djkoo and welcome to the forum!!
Starting with 35# pull for thumb ring is great if you're already pulling 30 lbs on your current bow.
The only bow listed that would not work for thumb release is the Kaya Khan as I think it made for shooting off the shelf.  The Kaya ktb or nomad are good intro bows and cost less than the Hwarangs that you listed.  You shouldn't need and armgard or glove if your shooting off the right side of the bow.  Please read the threads in bows and thumb rings for better info from more experienced archers such as bluelake.  Have fun!! smile

Thumbs up +1

Thank you for your response marc!

I was initially interested in Kaya KTB however I could only find it on 3rivers dot com for ~300 usd. Is that an appropriate distributor and price for it?

Thank you again!!

Thumbs up

4 (edited by dziki 2015-10-13 12:15:21)

Hi
I use Kaya KTB (XL version) and in my opinion is good for beginner, good price for the quality it offers but i paid half your price (jvd dot nl). If I had a choice Kaya KTB for $ 300 or Hwarang bow from blulake (basic for $ 450?) I would choose Hwarang. About shiping ask Freddy from koreanbow dot com

Thumbs up

5 (edited by Pedro C 2015-10-13 17:53:44)

hey

You could use a glove or leather thumb guard instead of a thumb ring.

The shipping from koreanbow.com is free as far as I know. You could get a 30# nomad for $250 which could take about two to three weeks to arrive. I guess the 48" version would be fine

You don't need a glove for the bow hand as long as you make your nock point high enough. I think you're less likely to hit your arm with the string than in Western style archery. Just don't hyperextend (don't straighten out your bow arm so much that it seems to bend the other way like some people can... I can't).

koreanbow.com also have a relatively cheap bamboo bow listed. Not sure what to say about it, it seems more like a toy

I guess you could make a bhutanese style bamboo bow or a PVC bow if you wanted to? maybe

Thanks for your response pedro and dziki.

Although I would love to own a Hwarang (drool), $450 might be a bit out of my price range. Is it possible to ship from jvd dot nl to north america? I cannot seem to find much information about their shipping policy etc. I would buy the Kaya KTB if I could buy it from that distributor which seems reliable and at 180 euro..  hmm

I've been wanting to shoot with a thumb ring so I think I'll learn it first. Nomad KTB for 250 usd also sounds like a great deal if its free shipping. Does anyone recommend Nomad or Kaya KTB over one of the other? They were the main 2 I was looking at from the beginning.

Thank you again for your help!

Thumbs up

jvd.nl is a supplier, not a shop, They don't sell directly to customers

Thumbs up

gah! I see. Any suggestions on where to find Kaya KTB that will ship to US? Thanks for the response.

Thumbs up

djkoo wrote:

gah! I see. Any suggestions on where to find Kaya KTB that will ship to US? Thanks for the response.

garysarchery on Ebay has KTB bows for $270 + $12 shipping

Thumbs up

Kaya bows are generally overpriced in the US compared to EU, not sure why.

If you speak Korean you should give SMG a call, they make much nicer bows than the KTB. You can get a bow for $230 and about $30 shipping

http://www.smgung.co.kr/

Thumbs up +1

Mule wrote:

jvd.nl is a supplier, not a shop, They don't sell directly to customers

Yes, that's right but in any archery shop in Europe you order any goods which is jvd.
I buy a lot of things in stores in Poland because they are much cheaper than the same in other EU countries.
Good archery shop online in Poland http://www.e-luk.pl/ At the top of the left is to change the language.

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Kaya bows are generally overpriced in the US compared to EU, not sure why.

If you speak Korean you should give SMG a call, they make much nicer bows than the KTB. You can get a bow for $230 and about $30 shipping

http://www.smgung.co.kr/

Yea I've been contacting EU stores since their prices seem to be much lower but with shipping cost it usually ends up near 300usd. I think I'll give the SMG a ring, thanks for the suggestion!

Thumbs up