Re: SMG laminated horn bow

Agree that SMG has gone to complete hell with customer orders/service.  However, its probably the best company for a modern Korean synthetic as their bows typically outperform the rest in all other categories and the bang for the buck factor is still good.  Shame though they screwed up the draw weight here.  Buying from Gungsulwon may be the better option here after all.

@ Greyhamster: what is the strung length of the bow?  Is it about 50 or 51 inches?

Thumbs up

Great looking bow. Wow. Unfortunately SMG just stopped communicating with me. Complete crap. Sent a mail to enquire. Response came 5 weeks later with order form, which I filled out and returned. Since then, nothing.
I have gotten the distinct impression that they really don't care for foreign customers. I may be wrong. How did you get in touch? I used pdm9059@hanmail.net but it bounced back saying bad server. Can anybody help me please!?

Thumbs up

(speaking from just my own experience with SMG)
I think they just lack resources to communicate with non-korean speaking customers. I speak korean and I gave them a call and texted the lady what I wanted, wired the money a few minutes later, and I saw my bow about 5 days later in Texas. Not to dig into their personal life, but the person that helped me seemed like a mother figure (kids, dogs, etc over the phone) and didn't seem like they have the resource for foreign inquiries.

Again, these are all just guesses from my perspective. I was extremely happy with the service... nothing bad to say. Coming from a Korean culture, its understandable that it is frightening to try to communicate in english when english is so heavily pushed to everyone...

Never had any experience with other distributors but i think it might be easier to obtain it from other sources if possible.

Thumbs up +1

54 (edited by NickAntz 2015-11-04 09:02:04)

I asked the lady over at koreanbow.com a question about the SMG and see answered very soon telling me that see phoned SMG about it. So I double djkoo's opinion.

Thumbs up

@geoarcher: What do you think I can do to buy a laminated horn bow like yours?

Thumbs up

Interesting discussion since SMG has an English version of their website!!  I wonder if anyone is taking into account that these bows have to be made by hand?  For the ease of communication and quality of bow you may want to contact bluelake and order a Hwarang.

Thumbs up

57 (edited by geoarcher 2015-11-05 12:59:55)

peterhaslund wrote:

I actually don't have the laminated horn bow.  Rather that's greyhamster's.  I do have a suggestion though: contact Korean Gungsulwon over at this ebay address: http://www.ebay.com/usr/luke1731.  They sell the SMG bows and just about every other Korean archery product you'd ever need.  I asked them about the one by SMG bow made out of all bamboo and they were even willing to sell that one to me.  Their mark up isn't too bad either.  Other than that you could always deal with Koreanbows.com and see what they'd do for you.

Thumbs up

58 (edited by Brad.Canton 2015-11-05 11:34:16)

I asked over at koreanbows.com the lamanted horn bow would be $430 including shipping to NZ I also got a response from warmachie on Facebook but he said that a 35pound one wasn't in stock at the moment

Thumbs up

59 (edited by Greyhamster 2015-11-05 22:26:01)

geoarcher wrote:
peterhaslund wrote:

I actually don't have the laminated horn bow.  Rather that's greyhamster's.  I do have a suggestion though: contact Korean Gungsulwon over at this ebay address: http://www.ebay.com/usr/luke1731.  They sell the SMG bows and just about every other Korean archery product you'd ever need.  I asked them about the one by SMG bow made out of all bamboo and they were even willing to sell that one to me.  Their mark up isn't too bad either.  Other than that you could always deal with Koreanbows.com and see what they'd do for you.

I contacted them previously. Their laminated bow is carbonbacked and not SMG but rather from another bowyer. I could look up the message if you want

marc wrote:

Interesting discussion since SMG has an English version of their website!!  I wonder if anyone is taking into account that these bows have to be made by hand?  For the ease of communication and quality of bow you may want to contact bluelake and order a Hwarang.

They´re not actually made by hand though, at least not entirely. The instruction booklet shows a few pictures of the construction process. And when the bowyer finally obtained the necessary horn it only took 5 days before it was finished and shipped.

His Hwarang´s area carbonbacked though and the reason I went through all this trouble is because I wanted a horn-backed bow. It´s also cheaper to buy from SMG. Horn Bow with sock, 2 strings, 2 sets of reserve rubbers and a very sturdy and handy case cost me 420 dollars, compared to the 450 Bluelake asks (No offense to his products or his quality, they are very good as well and he does offer good customer service from what I hear.)

peterhaslund wrote:

Www.koreanbows.com can sell them to you. They have a markup though (430 with shipping vs 395 with shipping)

djkoo wrote:

I think they just lack resources to communicate with non-korean speaking customers. I speak korean and I gave them a call and texted the lady what I wanted, wired the money a few minutes later, and I saw my bow about 5 days later in Texas. Not to dig into their personal life, but the person that helped me seemed like a mother figure (kids, dogs, etc over the phone) and didn't seem like they have the resource for foreign inquiries.

Again, these are all just guesses from my perspective. I was extremely happy with the service... nothing bad to say. Coming from a Korean culture, its understandable that it is frightening to try to communicate in english when english is so heavily pushed to everyone...

Never had any experience with other distributors but i think it might be easier to obtain it from other sources if possible.

I suppose you are right. I´m just kind of pissed it took 3 months to order a bow and especially because I heard nothing for a month after paying them and because I received a bow 5 lbs above draw weight.

geoarcher wrote:

Agree that SMG has gone to complete hell with customer orders/service.  However, its probably the best company for a modern Korean synthetic as their bows typically outperform the rest in all other categories and the bang for the buck factor is still good.  Shame though they screwed up the draw weight here.  Buying from Gungsulwon may be the better option here after all.

@ Greyhamster: what is the strung length of the bow?  Is it about 50 or 51 inches?

40 inches unstrung, 48 inches when strung. By far the smallest bow I´ve ever seen. It´s the second larges size (advertised as 127 cm, forgot the name)

Brad.Canton wrote:

I asked over at koreanbows.com the lamanted horn bow would be $430 including shipping to NZ I also got a response from warmachie on Facebook but he said that a 35pound one wasn't in stock at the moment

Do keep in mind that their bows are measured at 31.8 inches, so you´ll want to order one about 10 lbs above your regular draw weight (a bow gains about 2,5 lbs per inch)

------------------

On to the bow itself!

I´ve been shooting it for a week now, shooting a few arrows every day. I still suck due to the effort required to draw it, I regularly fuck up the gripping but still, I can see and feel that this is a very, VERY good bow. It has some shock (Using the lightest weight arrows allowed with the bow) but I don´t actually feel it because the grip absorbs the shock. It´s also very quiet. It´s also blisteringly fast. I don´t have access to a chronograph but just by eyeballing I´d say it´s probably the fastest traditional bow on the club, possibly tied with a hunting recurve from a friend. My previous 35 lbs fibreglass hungarian had trouble hitting the 25 meter and I´d see longbow shooters with 40 lbs longbows arcing at the 25 meters as well. This bow just flatlines at that range. I´ve shot a few arrows at 30, 40 and 50 meters just to see how it performs and it´s only at 50 meters that I really have to start aiming quite a bit higher.

I also can´t express just how wonderful the bow feels. It´s light and small and weighs pretty much nothing. The limbs are also slightly bent, so the bowstring rests just to the right of the centre of the bow which is a far more elegant solution than cutting a shelf. The limbs themselves are also wonderfully thin, about the thickness of my thumb.

I do have some gripes though: The grip is a bit small. I can fit my hand on but I have rather small hands (latex gloves size S, size 7 for surgery gloves should anyone be familiar with those sizes) and I do sort of wish it was a bit bigger. I also REALLY hate the nocks.
http://www.hornbow.com/hktb2.jpg
It´s part of the Korean bow design but MAN, do I hate them. The loops on the bowstring are so large they can twist and slip over the nocks on to the limbs so you´ve got to be really careful when stringing it. You also can´t twist them or make the loops smaller because the loops themselves fall in two grooves to ensure they are in the right place. Stringing it is a bit harder than my hungarian bow. It´s also a bit of a shame that there´s brightly colored markings and stickers on the nocks.
Like I said, I recieved a bow 5 lbs heavier than ordered and it´s thus a good 10 lbs above my previous bow. I can´t really draw it back to my full 32 inches but I have not noticed any stacking so far.

Bottom line: I really like this bow. I bought it as my competition bow (it being horn backed, completely traditional, small, light and having top-notch performance) and it certainly delivers. I´m sure I will feel comfortable doing field shooting or 3d shooting with this bow. I´ll certainly be able to giggle at folks carring a 70 inch longbow around and snagging it on branches tongue It´s a great bow in many regards even though I do have some issues with it. I would heartily recommend it to anyone, although perhaps obtained through other channels.

Finally, a question from me: What´s a good way to maintain the birch bark cover?

Also, what arrow spines for what bow weight do you guys use? It looks like I might have to get 11/32 shafts which feels kind of thick. But I´m getting a required spine of 65-70 with my 55lbs SMG bow.

Thumbs up

60 (edited by joomong 2015-11-05 22:59:50)

Greyhamster wrote:
geoarcher wrote:
peterhaslund wrote:

I contacted them previously. Their laminated bow is carbonbacked and not SMG but rather from another bowyer. I could look up the message if you want

marc wrote:

They´re not actually made by hand though, at least not entirely. The instruction booklet shows a few pictures of the construction process. And when the bowyer finally obtained the necessary horn it only took 5 days before it was finished and shipped.

His Hwarang´s area carbonbacked though and the reason I went through all this trouble is because I wanted a horn-backed bow. It´s also cheaper to buy from SMG. Horn Bow with sock, 2 strings, 2 sets of reserve rubbers and a very sturdy and handy case cost me 420 dollars, compared to the 450 Bluelake asks (No offense to his products or his quality, they are very good as well and he does offer good customer service from what I hear.)

peterhaslund wrote:

Www.koreanbows.com can sell them to you. They have a markup though (430 with shipping vs 395 with shipping)

djkoo wrote:

I suppose you are right. I´m just kind of pissed it took 3 months to order a bow and especially because I heard nothing for a month after paying them and because I received a bow 5 lbs above draw weight.

geoarcher wrote:

40 inches unstrung, 48 inches when strung. By far the smallest bow I´ve ever seen. It´s the second larges size (advertised as 127 cm, forgot the name)

Brad.Canton wrote:

Do keep in mind that their bows are measured at 31.8 inches, so you´ll want to order one about 10 lbs above your regular draw weight (a bow gains about 2,5 lbs per inch)

------------------

On to the bow itself!

I´ve been shooting it for a week now, shooting a few arrows every day. I still suck due to the effort required to draw it, I regularly fuck up the gripping but still, I can see and feel that this is a very, VERY good bow. It has some shock (Using the lightest weight arrows allowed with the bow) but I don´t actually feel it because the grip absorbs the shock. It´s also very quiet. It´s also blisteringly fast. I don´t have access to a chronograph but just by eyeballing I´d say it´s probably the fastest traditional bow on the club, possibly tied with a hunting recurve from a friend. My previous 35 lbs fibreglass hungarian had trouble hitting the 25 meter and I´d see longbow shooters with 40 lbs longbows arcing at the 25 meters as well. This bow just flatlines at that range. I´ve shot a few arrows at 30, 40 and 50 meters just to see how it performs and it´s only at 50 meters that I really have to start aiming quite a bit higher.

I also can´t express just how wonderful the bow feels. It´s light and small and weighs pretty much nothing. The limbs are also slightly bent, so the bowstring rests just to the right of the centre of the bow which is a far more elegant solution than cutting a shelf. The limbs themselves are also wonderfully thin, about the thickness of my thumb.

I do have some gripes though: The grip is a bit small. I can fit my hand on but I have rather small hands (latex gloves size S, size 7 for surgery gloves should anyone be familiar with those sizes) and I do sort of wish it was a bit bigger. I also REALLY hate the nocks.
http://www.hornbow.com/hktb2.jpg
It´s part of the Korean bow design but MAN, do I hate them. The loops on the bowstring are so large they can twist and slip over the nocks on to the limbs so you´ve got to be really careful when stringing it. You also can´t twist them or make the loops smaller because the loops themselves fall in two grooves to ensure they are in the right place. Stringing it is a bit harder than my hungarian bow. It´s also a bit of a shame that there´s brightly colored markings and stickers on the nocks.
Like I said, I recieved a bow 5 lbs heavier than ordered and it´s thus a good 10 lbs above my previous bow. I can´t really draw it back to my full 32 inches but I have not noticed any stacking so far.

Bottom line: I really like this bow. I bought it as my competition bow (it being horn backed, completely traditional, small, light and having top-notch performance) and it certainly delivers. I´m sure I will feel comfortable doing field shooting or 3d shooting with this bow. I´ll certainly be able to giggle at folks carring a 70 inch longbow around and snagging it on branches tongue It´s a great bow in many regards even though I do have some issues with it. I would heartily recommend it to anyone, although perhaps obtained through other channels.

Finally, a question from me: What´s a good way to maintain the birch bark cover?

Also, what arrow spines for what bow weight do you guys use? It looks like I might have to get 11/32 shafts which feels kind of thick. But I´m getting a required spine of 65-70 with my 55lbs SMG bow.

I heard you can use bee wax to maintain the birch bark.  But I am not so sure.

I use 50lbs SMG, and my arrows are Gold tip traditional hunter carbon arrow 5575 spine with 100g or 125g tips.

Thumbs up

Greyhamster wrote:

That's interesting.  They certainly made it out to look like an SMG that they sell and when I asked them about the bamboo SMG they made it sound like it was basically SMG but they stamp it or something with their own brand name.  I was a bit hesitant though to buy as their message to me was in rather confusing English and if this is true then I'm glad I did. Yeah I'm definitely interested in who they use for their laminate/synthetic bows.

Greyhamster wrote:

Ah, yeah that is tiny.  I had a YMG at that size though I prefer sizes more in line with 'janggung' so I eventually sold it. 

Anyway glad to hear you're enjoying the bow a bit more now.

Thumbs up

62 (edited by Pedro C 2015-11-06 07:23:34)

Nice
The ears look nice and long compared to my Nomad's
I do thumb draw with my right hand, with my 45#@31" (I draw to 32-33") nomad the arrows still go to the right, they're 11/32" spined 55-60
My 45-50 spined bamboo shafts fly pretty much straight or a bit to the right depending on my inconsistent release and how far I draw back.
Shrug.

not sure if you saw this -- are you keeping it in a heat box?

Pedro C wrote:

good luck! Looks beautiful
I want to try doing wide pull-ups and inverted rows to help up my draw weight. It can't be that hard to get used to 5lbs more, right?
would it be necessary to keep it in a heat box at all??

"To maintain optimum level of function of the bow, it is recommended to keep the bow in the heating box once every 5 days."
http://www.smgung.co.kr/2010/english_12_13.htm

@greyhamster: I looked at koreanbow.com. The SMG is a carbon, not horn http://www.koreanbow.com/shop/index.php … er=product
Your bow looks great, man I wish I could buy one. Sigh...

Thumbs up

Oh, and shoe wax is ok for the bark. Not black, perhaps?

Thumbs up

peterhaslund wrote:

@greyhamster: I looked at koreanbow.com. The SMG is a carbon, not horn http://www.koreanbow.com/shop/index.php … er=product
Your bow looks great, man I wish I could buy one. Sigh...

On request they will buy an SMG bow and ship it to you. It´s not offered on their site though. I mailed them about it:

`Dear Alwin,

Thank you for your inquiry.
We are planning to deal with Song mu gung soon.
And if you want it now, I will supply it for you.

Artificial horn bow : $300 (include shipping)
Laminated horn bow : $460 (include shipping)

Thanks,

Silvia

geoarcher wrote:

That's interesting.  They certainly made it out to look like an SMG that they sell and when I asked them about the bamboo SMG they made it sound like it was basically SMG but they stamp it or something with their own brand name.  I was a bit hesitant though to buy as their message to me was in rather confusing English and if this is true then I'm glad I did. Yeah I'm definitely interested in who they use for their laminate/synthetic bows.

This is what they told me:
`Thank you for your question. Materials are the very same ones with other laminated bows, Layers of Bamboo & Carbonic materials. But our best good point is ours have more bamboo layers in it and have advanced processing technique for carbonic material. And the maker's name is the best brand in Korea under our judgement. Thank you. H. J. Lee KOREA GUNGSULWON`

And I bought the Jung-Gung bow which is an inch shorter and it´s fine for me.

Pedro C wrote:

Nice
The ears look nice and long compared to my Nomad's
I do thumb draw with my right hand, with my 45#@31" (I draw to 32-33") nomad the arrows still go to the right, they're 11/32" spined 55-60
My 45-50 spined bamboo shafts fly pretty much straight or a bit to the right depending on my inconsistent release and how far I draw back.
Shrug.

not sure if you saw this -- are you keeping it in a heat box?

Pedro C wrote:

good luck! Looks beautiful
I want to try doing wide pull-ups and inverted rows to help up my draw weight. It can't be that hard to get used to 5lbs more, right?
would it be necessary to keep it in a heat box at all??

"To maintain optimum level of function of the bow, it is recommended to keep the bow in the heating box once every 5 days."
http://www.smgung.co.kr/2010/english_12_13.htm

No, no heatbox. Muleo has had one for two years and hasn´t kept it in a heatbox so I assume it´s not wholly necessary. It´s also made with modern glue and glue is and was the greatest weakness of ancient composite bows.
That said I do try to keep it dry and carry a soft cloth with me to dry it when I´m done shooting. I also warm it up a bit when shooting (draw 26, 28, 30 inches with the first 3 shots) Not sure if it´s even necesarry but can´t hurt to be safe tongue

Thumbs up

Thank you. If I may repay some amount of favour I want to recommend this video of shoulder exercises done right. No bucket lifting here (o;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piFvGEL-md0

Thumbs up

Yes clear shoe wax gives the birch bark enough protection.  Beeswax may get a bit sticky when warmed by the Sun.

peterhaslund wrote:

Oh, and shoe wax is ok for the bark. Not black, perhaps?

Thumbs up

I'm glad you like the bow, I knew you would wink

Greyhamster wrote:

I also REALLY hate the nocks. It´s part of the Korean bow design but MAN, do I hate them. The loops on the bowstring are so large they can twist and slip over the nocks on to the limbs so you´ve got to be really careful when stringing it.

How are you stringing it? As long as you hold the string in place with one hand while you string the other nock with the step-through method, there shouldn't be any risk of them slipping off the nocks. Those tiny nocks and resulting low tip mass is part of what gives these bows their speed

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Greyhamster wrote:

I also REALLY hate the nocks. It´s part of the Korean bow design but MAN, do I hate them. The loops on the bowstring are so large they can twist and slip over the nocks on to the limbs so you´ve got to be really careful when stringing it.

How are you stringing it? As long as you hold the string in place with one hand while you string the other nock with the step-through method, there shouldn't be any risk of them slipping off the nocks. Those tiny nocks and resulting low tip mass is part of what gives these bows their speed

Mule wrote:

Greyhamster wrote:

Hmmm, how can I hold it in place with one hand while stringing it? I'm used to keeping the string tensed with the loop hooked around the lower nock as I did with my hungarian and while it works okay it's not nearly as carefree as it is with the hungarian.
I do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYuadxL04Ms
Pretty much to the letter, it's how I thought myself to string my bow

And it's your enthousiasm and praise which drew me to these bows ^.^
I've been out of the country for an internship for a month now and still got about 3 weeks left before I go home. The only thing I really miss is my bow XD

Thumbs up

Hey. Thought I'd give you a heads-up about the white laminated from SMG. I was told they did not really want to sell any above 50# because the bows would not be sufficiently tough. Maybe Greyhamster was right abot the stringing? In any case I chose a standard laminated and is advised not to shoot it at cold temperatures and not overdraw it too often. It is a living thing and must be treated as such: dry out between shoots to get rid of excess moisture. Don't shoot in the rain. You bow may not break today, but following this simple advice might just add to its longevity. Good luck.

Thumbs up