1 (edited by Tom 2016-01-12 18:25:41)

Topic: Hello from Montreal, Canada.

Hi folks,

Proud owner of a Kaya KTB (#25) since one year (and still learning with it...).
My first bow (hey, I am just 44!) and just fell in love with it!
I am here to learn and share experiences with you, guys.
And this forum will fit the bill for sure.  wink

Tom.

Thumbs up

Re: Hello from Montreal, Canada.

hello, welcome

It is good that you chose a lighter bow, makes it easier to get proper form. Seems like korean style bows would do well at lighter weights with really light arrows...

Thank you and you are right, Pedro. Just tried to avoid usual beginner mistakes (heavier bow) and listened many advices posted on the forum... A week-end hobby is now, on year later, a real passion!

Thumbs up

Welcome Tom. Mid Missouri, USA here.  Still working on my first purchase. Glad to have you aboard. Do you plan on hunting with a Korean style after working into higher poundage?

Thumbs up

Welcome!

Montreal is a cool place....especially in the winter.  Sorry couldn't help myself but yeah I love visiting Montreal and Quebec in general so good to see a Quebecer pop in.

Good call too going for the low poundage for first bow.  It will make the initial learning process go smooth.

Thumbs up

Thanks WillS, but no hunting plan for the moment. Have many rifles to do the job...  ;-) Joke aside, I am not just good enough with a bow actually... But I think very seriously about that. Just need a higher poundage bow with our canadian laws.
A nice #50 Hwarang may solve the problem I guess...  ;-)

Thank you too, Geo, for your kind words. I just prefer Montreal IN SUMMER, like all other human beings ;-)) Winter is just a frozen hell... Low poundage makes all the difference, you are right, for the newbie I am.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by geoarcher 2016-01-14 05:06:41)

Tom wrote:

Thank you too, Geo, for your kind words. I just prefer Montreal IN SUMMER, like all other human beings ;-)) Winter is just a frozen hell...

I admit I haven't experienced a winter up your way yet but I hear it is definitely the real deal!  In regard to this someone told me once a long time ago that some Asian archery traditions encouraged practice in sub-optimal weather conditions in order to strengthen and toughen the archer in training.

Thumbs up

8 (edited by Tom 2016-01-14 01:57:52)

Sure, Geo, but five to six months each year of practice in such sub-optimal weather conditions is just to much for me...
Today's temperature was -4 F° (-19°C). Way too cold for my little thumbs!  ;-)

Thumbs up

Tom wrote:

Sure, Geo, but five to six months each year of practice in this sub-optimal weather condition is just to much for me...
Today's temperature was -4 F° (-19°C). Just too cold for my little thumbs!  ;-)

You definitely have quite the sub-optimal condition there. yikes

Thumbs up

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Thumbs up

11 (edited by Pedro C 2016-01-14 08:39:14)

Make an indoor target?

Maybe full leather gloves. Though using a leather glove for shooting w/ thumb draw made me used to sticking the index finger too close to the string, such that the string rips off skin off the index finger when shooting just with a thumb ring. Bad habit..

Make sure you have proper alignment (bow shoulder down..) and maybe practice drawing with big rubber bands for strength training, so that you don't get used to wrestling the light bow in a way that just won't work with heavier bows. But overall, it's much easier to get good form first with a lighter bow.

12 (edited by Tom 2016-01-14 15:28:43)

Indoor shooting range is installed and functional. No choice. Part of the basement is a 7 yards "arrows highway"!
Thanks for your tips. I am trying to focus on proper alignment, among other things, for a while now as YouTube KTB masters were my only instructors. I am a kind of self-taught bower in the KTB art... And it is always a challenging way! But efforts begin to pay of and this is highly gratifying.

Thumbs up

Just wait till you hit the target at 145 meters.

Thumbs up

Maybe in a decade...   big_smile

Thumbs up