Topic: true traditional arrow smoothing

What is the true traditional Korean method of smoothing off bumps from arrow shafts? I saw a video a man running an arrow shaft through what is presumably two blocks of wood. He would periodically submerge the two blocks of wood (?) in a bucket filled with lsome sort of liquid which I guess is abrasive? See the following video at the 05:06 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5INvoNTdk

Thumbs up

Re: true traditional arrow smoothing

If you ever watch my DVD on bamboo arrow crafting (available from Three Rivers Archery), you will see the fletcher do it with sandpaper.  Traditionally/historically would have been similar using abrasives.

Thumbs up

Blackrain wrote:

What is the true traditional Korean method of smoothing off bumps from arrow shafts? I saw a video a man running an arrow shaft through what is presumably two blocks of wood. He would periodically submerge the two blocks of wood (?) in a bucket filled with lsome sort of liquid which I guess is abrasive? See the following video at the 05:06 mark.

That video has subtitles you know...

Thumbs up

WOW! Quite different from the way I've seen Americans do it.  Very impressed as to the care in matching each shaft to one another. This is a great video.

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:
Blackrain wrote:

That video has subtitles you know...

I can't see them. Could it be because I'm on a mobile device? Can you tell me what they said?

Thumbs up

C'mon man, I spent hours subtitling that video and you can't be bothered to get onto a computer to watch it?  neutral

He's using wooden blocks and the liquid is water with sand in it.

Thumbs up

Mule, thank you for the subtitles. smile

Thumbs up

8 (edited by Pedro C 2016-01-21 23:19:09)

Great video, thanks for the subtitles.
Do you know what glue was used for the fletchings? Is it the same fish glue? Was the whole part of the arrow where the fletchings go coated in it?
You think that size of fletchings is good for shorter distances?

Pedro C wrote:

Great video, thanks for the subtitles.
Do you know what glue was used for the fletchings? Is it the same fish glue? Was the whole part of the arrow where the fletchings go coated in it?
You think that size of fletchings is good for shorter distances?

Nowadays, fletchers often just use a white wood glue.

Thumbs up