1 (edited by wayfarer 2016-02-10 17:12:00)

Topic: Wrapped Limbs question

Hey everyone I am wondering if anyone can comment on the strings used to wrap the bow limbs and their purpose or side effects. From my understanding its to help in areas with potential damage? and mostly found on actual horn bows.

Anyway I am mainly wondering if it would be a problem to wrap the limbs on my kaya ktb and what would the benefits be or side effects like maybe potentially slowing the limbs down or something?

Also is are their only specific areas that should be wrapped? From pictures I have seen there have been various spots that are wrapped.

Some examples of the wraps are on this link, The rack of bows (the ones on the right are wrapped) which is the third picture down under the one of the range.

http://www.theinfinitecurve.com/tag/kor … l-archery/

Thumbs up

2 (edited by morton509 2016-02-11 17:26:46)

Re: Wrapped Limbs question

I've always wondered about the wrapped limbs.  Some people wrap  around the tip and string.  It seems that you wouldn't unstring your bow very often  with it wrapped like that.  I loved the link you put up.  Gave me a bit of an idea what it might be like to shoot in Korea.  Thanks

Thumbs up

I had a samick skb which had a crack above the handle. I glued it, wrapped and didn't have a problem since. A friend had a delamination at the same spot. The wrapping is done where the bow is most likely to delaminate due to high stress. I've also seen some korean bows with the wrapping done more as a decoration. Probably at 30# it's not needed, but for stronger bows it is better to have it. The wrapping has to be tight and helps to enforce the critical areas.

The windfighter bows come without the wrapping. In our group, when somebody got a new bow, that was the first thing we did to the bow.

An example of a very strong bow which has the same wrappings:
http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2486

Thumbs up +1

morton509 wrote:

I've always wondered about the wrapped limbs.  Some people wrap  around the tip and string.  It seems that you wouldn't unstring your bow very often  with it wrapped like that.  I loved the link you put up.  Gave me a bit of an idea what it might be like to shoot in Korea.  Thanks

Yea its interesting to see how shooting is like over there the photos of ranges I have seen are beautiful.

Thumbs up

storm wrote:

I had a samick skb which had a crack above the handle. I glued it, wrapped and didn't have a problem since. A friend had a delamination at the same spot. The wrapping is done where the bow is most likely to delaminate due to high stress. I've also seen some korean bows with the wrapping done more as a decoration. Probably at 30# it's not needed, but for stronger bows it is better to have it. The wrapping has to be tight and helps to enforce the critical areas.

The windfighter bows come without the wrapping. In our group, when somebody got a new bow, that was the first thing we did to the bow.

An example of a very strong bow which has the same wrappings:
http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2486

I see that is what I was assuming the purpose might have been. That linked bow has massive poundage! Its good to hear that you had success with gluing and wrapping the crack on the bow. I decided to wrap my bow a little bit mostly for decoration and maybe it will help with potential stress.

Thumbs up

Have heard of a lot of the Windfighters breaking, likely because of the lack of wrapping.