Topic: Parallel vs oblique stance

Isn't it way easier to use the back muscles with the left arm with a parallel (manchu, gao ying) than that oblique Korean stance?

Some Korean archers seem to shoot with the shoulders sort of oblique to the drawn arrow, while others just twist their body? Maybe to imitate shooting on a horse?

More info on that oblique stance would be interesting

thanks

Re: Parallel vs oblique stance

A more parallel stance is more stable since your bones are doing more work, the more oblique stance requires more muscle work since it's your muscles stopping the bow arm from being pulled in.

Thumbs up +1

Yeah... I'm just standing with feet parallel to the target now because of that. Rather than the Korean side step thing. I guess the advantage of the side step thing is that it allows one to have a shorter draw length while still drawing to the shoulder?

I believe Korean stance is from horseback archery, which the body face targets.  Koreans seemed to use different stances when they use heavy bows.  But current Korean shooting technique is focused on long distance target shooting. People do not use bows heavier than 50-60lbs because even 40lbs Korean bows can hit 145m target easily. They do not teally need to shoot heavy bows.
When both legs are straight and face the target, you have to use your back(spine) muscle to twist upper body and draw the arm pass the ear.  You also need to have strong lower body and spine strength to do the proper Korean technique.  Some people in Korea do the Korean archery to heal back problems.
Basically, Korean technique is a bit harder to learn compare to other styles.  The stance is different, the grip is different(torquing the bow, and low wrist grip), and focus on long distance target shooting, etc.
There are styles and techniques that make you hit targets(30-60yard) easily compare to Korean style for sure.

Thumbs up

5 (edited by NickAntz 2015-12-27 07:18:53)

I have always used the Korean stance of placing the feet but I would twist my body so that my shoulders would align parallel to the draw. This last few days I tried not to twist my body so much and the following things happened: First my draw reached farther back, far behind my ear, but the length was the same. Second I have my back hurting a lot. Third the torque technique was more natural and last my anchor point was forced higher.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=znwiVq6ZZek

Thumbs up

I can feel a large difference in how long I can hold the bow fully drawn without shaking with the parallel stance.. Gotta build up more strength for Korean stance to be as comfortable as parallel.

Thumbs up

I'm just sticking with parallel with back foot angled backwards because it's easier. Should stretch and practice twisting the body to allow me to move more if I ever do horse archery. Not having the back aligned just feels wrong..