Topic: minimum arrow weight

Which minimum arrow weight (gpp) would be safe to shoot out of a Hwarang? Even with light to medium draw weight bows it wouldn't be a problem to go below 8 or so grains per pound. Especially carbons come in incredibly light shaft weights these days.

Any requirements from the Hwarang bowyers? Or reports of bows exploding due to too light of arrows used?

Thumbs up

Re: minimum arrow weight

Personally, I've never had a problem with gpp.  As a matter of fact, I used to shoot pyeonjeon (half-length arrows) with no ill-effects.  However, with that said, if you go with a standard minimum, you generally can't go wrong.

Thumbs up +2

Thanks a lot, sounds good to me.

Ah, while you're around: if a bow of a certain draw weight is ordered how precise do they usually hit the desired weight?

Thumbs up

Azawakh wrote:

Thanks a lot, sounds good to me.

Ah, while you're around: if a bow of a certain draw weight is ordered how precise do they usually hit the desired weight?

Usually, it's fairly close, but may vary slightly depending upon how others measure.

Thumbs up

I have had three Kayas in the past, still own two of them. Only one is spot on the others are way off.

We have a shop owner here who measures each bow he gets and publishes the draw curves. Sometimes KTB's and Windfighters differ as much as 5 pounds from the label. Might not sound much but with low weight bows such as 35 or 40 pounds that's more than 10%.

Thumbs up

Azawakh wrote:

I have had three Kayas in the past, still own two of them. Only one is spot on the others are way off.

We have a shop owner here who measures each bow he gets and publishes the draw curves. Sometimes KTB's and Windfighters differ as much as 5 pounds from the label. Might not sound much but with low weight bows such as 35 or 40 pounds that's more than 10%.

The Hwarang bows are generally pretty close, but if they are measured from point A to point B by the bowyer, and someone else measures to point C, they can certainly be off (an inch or so of draw can greatly change the measured weight).

Thumbs up