1 (edited by peterhaslund 2015-12-12 13:23:00)

Topic: SMG laminated horn bow from Gungsulwon

Having spent months waiting in vain for a response from SMG or Mechwar, I finally decide enough was enough. Based on advice found especially here on this forum it appeared senseless to persist.
Koreanbow were helpful and very reasonable in their fee, but tried mostly to sell their own products and did not want to contact YMG over the bamboo look carbons. It grew tiresome.
Gungsulwon on the other hand were only too happy to help, for a fee of course. We negotiated a price of 420 USD for the SMG laminated horn bow and 170 USD for 10 YMG arrows. They also offered great advice on care and use of the horn bow, which I feel will only prolong the lifespan of the bow.
Anyway, here it is in Seoul. Christmas can't come soon enough this year, I feel like a kid again. If anyone has experience with these bows please let me in.

Post's attachments

SAM_5682.JPG 1.61 mb, 3 downloads since 2015-12-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up +1

Re: SMG laminated horn bow from Gungsulwon

My bow package arrived yesterday, just one week after shipment from Korea. That's fast service for ya  big_smile What's even better it looks whole and unharmed in transit which is no mean feat from around the world. Yes, I've seen bagage handlers at airports.
Christmas eve is in 5 days or 119 hours from now. In Scandinavia we open our presents, brought by Santa because we behaved this last year, on the 24th. I can wait. For now, a few pics. One fun detail is the stamp:

Post's attachments

10564726_10153867519684903_1803794542_n.jpg 76.6 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up

Wrong pic.

Post's attachments

12395179_10153867519779903_1512590396_n.jpg 76.5 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-12-19 

Thumbs up

Hey, we want to see more than a stamp.  big_smile  Bow review too!  cool

Thumbs up +1

Show us some pictures smile

Thumbs up

Oh tidings of comfort and joy...

Post's attachments

12399434_10153885176209903_1827732979_n.jpg 68.02 kb, 4 downloads since 2015-12-25 

Thumbs up

Don't know if it translates through the screen but this bow is so well made. I bent it ever so gently at first and after another 15 minutes of admiration I just stringed it to have a look. It bends so softly. The brace height appears no more than 5 inches tops. It is even smaller than my Khan, see pic for comparison.
Must say the handle is very small but will try the grey grip material before I gripe on.

Post's attachments

12443771_10153885185904903_1995891863_o.jpg 159.58 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up

Last for today. We have a wood oven so after some drying out I intend to try and pull it some half way tonight before the Cavaliers play the Warriors.

Post's attachments

12435754_10153885179759903_2010989848_n.jpg 61.24 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up

On with the review. I just shot 50 arrows of varying length and weights, pulling about halfway back to ease into action. Now how to describe the experience of shooting this bow? It's smooth. When drawn it makes an appealing wooden sound, like any natural material would under strain. It looks perfectly tillered - slightly to the right (arrow) side. It permits an effortless draw, like a rubber band. Upon release it whips. Tremendous speed without any noticeable hand shock. It makes my Khan seem crude and sufficient. Mind you, it's not as powerful on paper (52#@31,6"). My first impression though is it just might be in reality. It's effortless, calm, relaxed, peaceful. As I read through what I just wrote I become aware just how impressed I am. A big thank you to Ginni who reviewed different makes of KTB on these pages and declared this his favourite. Without his expert advice I would not have dared to invest 420 USD in an untried commodity. Cheers!

Thumbs up

Finally my modern horn bow is ready to draw to the full length of the arrows that came with it. They are carbon but look like bamboo. The brass points are stump, for use on a traditional hard target at 145 meters distance. It's mid winter in Western Norway now and the cold has set in. Heeding the advice of the helpful guys at Gungsulwon, I will refrain from using it in very cold weather. What they wrote was keep it inside your coat when the temp drops. In actual fact I place it adjacent to the wood stove and wait for it to gain body temperature before stringing. When I unstring it I take care to do it slowly and follow thorugh with my hand easing the bow back into c-shape. It's a joy and I intend to keep it that way.

Post's attachments

12431243_10153885176309903_6616501_n.jpg 85.49 kb, 1 downloads since 2016-01-03 

Thumbs up

Last pic for now...

Post's attachments

12435798_10153885177404903_1314251602_n.jpg 81 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up

On with the review. Now that the bow is getting into its own, let me assess which arrows are better.
The ones that came with the bow as requested are YMG carbons that look like bamboo with plastic vanes. I asked for as long as the bow would tolerate and got 83cm total length/27g. These predictably work nicely with the bow, although I must assume they will be even better at 145m? At any rate I was informed that drawing the bow no longer than they accomodate would help it live longer.
I also tried my Penthalon bamboo hunter full lengths (85cm end to end, 23g). If anything to discern from the YMGs, they may just be a tad more fun. Unlike the Korean they are feathered. Aiming seems easier with the Penths.
Last, but not least I also must mention my traditional Chinese, inexpensive bamboo (80cm, 34g). They just somehow seem to swing with the horn and produce a wonderful natural feel. My favourites so far. Am in now in the process of buying more bamboos, slightly longer and somewhat lighter, around 26-27g. Will update later when the winter allows for some outdoor shooting.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the review glad to hear it is shooting well

Thumbs up

14 (edited by pclgorman 2016-02-18 12:51:50)

Just ordered the SMG OEM Laminated bow they have in their shop. The seller says it's made with "carbonic layers" and that it is very similar to the carbon bow that SMG sell on their website, but is an OEM product with some differences. Anyone have an idea what the differences might be? Anyways, after not getting any replies from SMG, and seeing the high mark ups on other sites I decided to give these guys a try. Now the waiting begins. Will post pics and review once it arrives.

Thumbs up

Spring is here! Well, it was yesterday. A old friend visited and we got out into the open and shot some long distance. He was using a standard western recurve and I enjoyed my horn bow. Well, it is buffalo horn. Just with glass fibre. Using the Korean arrows was soo smooth and easy. They don't center very well but flight shooting is brilliant. Their tips are blunt but they stick well enough in the field. It's been too long since I shot thumb. I think it's actually shrunk a millimeter or so in circumference from lack of exercise. Is that even a rational thought? Anybody else experience this after lengthy lay-offs?

Thumbs up

Quite the opposite, actually. If I go to the range after a week's break my scores impress me. Well, sometimes. lol
When things are good and I can manage to shoot three or four days a week there doesn't seem to be much progress.

But if your thumb shrinks you gotta be doing something about it!! big_smile

Thumbs up

After languishing in Chinese Customs limbo for around a month, I was finally able to pick up the SMG I had ordered through Gungsulwon. The box it came in offered little-to-no protection (no padding or other protection, just cardboard sides of the box) and was the worse for wear (never again will I order anything remotely fragile that needs to be delivered through China Post). Fortunately the bow looked undamaged, and after use I was able to confirm that it was alright. It's a great bow that I am happy survived shipping. Unfortunately Gungsulwon won't tell me what model this is or how exactly it differs (if it does) from the SMG models on the company website (just that it's made of "carbonic material" and is laminated). I'm guessing it's the fake horn/ fiberglass horn bow as opposed to the carbon bow model. Can anyone tell based on the code on the siyah?

http://imgur.com/a/7ggWa

Thumbs up