1 (edited by pclgorman 2016-05-08 13:33:19)

Topic: Thumb ring problems and numbness

I'm new to Asian/Korean archery. First started at the end of last year practicing with a friend's Zhang Li Han bow. gradually getting used to heaver bows, and picked up my first bow back in March (45lb SMG laminated fiber glass). Before using the SMG I had borrowed the friend's leather thumb ring.  I started shooting with what I was told was a more modern horn ring (first of two pics below):

http://imgur.com/a/Oszd6

and I found it very difficult to pull back without having the string slip or at least lean in a bit on the joint of my thumb. After one session, I found the tip of my thumb was a little numb/tingly. I stopped shooting for a few weeks to let it recover, but I've been wary about returning to the ring, instead opting for a more traditional style (second pic). Anyone else encountered this problem? Any advice for how to correct it?

Thumbs up

Re: Thumb ring problems and numbness

From my experience a absolutely perfect fit it necessary, if the rings sits on the thumb "about right" you're likely to run into problems. Even a selfmade leather guard is better than a poor fitting ring.

It usually takes some trial and error to find a ring that suits the style of shooting and the anatomy, just keep trying.

Thumbs up

Thanks. I think it may be more a problem of style of shooting.

There is a pretty active traditional archery community in China, and this guy came highly-recommended for his horn rings. You send him your thumb measurements and he sends three rings (one with the exact measurements, one smaller, one bigger). You use the rings for two weeks and then keep the one that fits. After shooting for a while, and after my thumb developed some callousing, the horn ring I kept fits perfectly imo. But I find it very difficult to get the angle right for that the string doesn't slip off and into the joint. The other ring, on the other hand, while being a little loose, is much easier to use because of the lip, that allows a deeper draw. If I can't correct the draw with this ring, I guess I'll stick with the more traditional one (or try to find a traditional one with a slightly smaller fit)

Thumbs up

Leather in my opinion is the way to go.  Never got a feel for the horn ring.  Too bulky and you cant really feel the string.  You'll need to harden up your thumb to be comfortable with the leather guard, but I feel its way more versatile.

Thumbs up

morton509 wrote:

Leather in my opinion is the way to go.  Never got a feel for the horn ring.  Too bulky and you cant really feel the string.  You'll need to harden up your thumb to be comfortable with the leather guard, but I feel its way more versatile.

I disagree totally. I was lucky to find a ring with perfect fit, the Kaya Hornring. It's ultra light weight, slim and feels as if its part of my thumb. Even my other rings, a plastic and a metallic one give me a way cleaner release than every leather design I have tried.

Thumbs up +1

pclgorman wrote:

The other ring, on the other hand, while being a little loose, is much easier to use because of the lip, that allows a deeper draw. If I can't correct the draw with this ring, I guess I'll stick with the more traditional one (or try to find a traditional one with a slightly smaller fit)

My ring doesn't sit snug on the thumb, it is a rather loose fit and works perfect this way. But that's me only, other folks may prefer a tighter fit. A ring thats too big can always be custom fitted with a piece of soft leather glued in so in general I would recommend a larger ring over one that may be too tight.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by Tom 2016-05-09 15:34:07)

I bought a ring from koreanbow.com which was way too tight. I though my thumb measure was correct but apparently, it wasn't!
So I took my Dremel with appropriate deburring stones. After 5 minutes of easy work, it is now a perfect fit but, as a noob, I have to practise a LOT... This is the traditional way... but not the easier one!

Thumbs up +1

8 (edited by morton509 2016-05-09 17:15:55)

Here is a link to a good design for a leather thumb guard.  You will probably need to tweek the design a bit to your liking.   I  make a couple more lacing holes than the example and use sinew twine for the braiding, its thinner and stronger. 

https://picasaweb.google.com/jtma04/How … bedwebsite.

Thumbs up +1

Looking good, thanks for sharing!

Thumbs up

Thanks! I will try it for sure.

Thumbs up

The angle of the lip is far too steep for a beginner, you want something a bit more shallow

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips and suggestions!

I am happy with the fit of the ring but I think Mule is right that the angle of the lip is just too difficult for me to get used to. I have enlarged the shelf with a small file and it seems to have helped a little, but I think I still prefer a bit more protection around the joint. 

I used a leather thumb ring before and agree that for me at least, it's the easiest to control, but pulling anything beyond 35 lbs starts to feel uncomfortable, especially after a few rounds of shooting.

I've actually been thinking of picking up a vermil classic thumb ring with the string guard (either brass or silver). Anyone had any experience with their stuff?

Thumbs up

morton509, tough looking leather thumb ring. If I go back to using leather I think I might give this design a try and make my own. Thanks for the link!

Thumbs up

I currently use a Vermil classic brass. With a 60# bow, I do get a bit of soreness after a long shooting session though.

I'd like to try the new Victory (I think the cut out would be more comfortable) but they haven't made a metal version yet

Thumbs up