Topic: were these bows even meant to be shot?

https://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/grays … -bow.shtml

Wood on the belly with that much reflex... what
seems like some were completely sinew wrapped
Did I already make a thread about this..

Re: were these bows even meant to be shot?

Totally meant to be shot.  I think the bark may be flexible.  Im pretty sure the Hwarang has real bark on the outside, maybe its the way they slice it and glue it on that allows it to bend.  Not totally sure.

Thumbs up

Maybe it would've been deflexed with heat a lot more after seasoning, gradually being opened, and might've ended up looking like Alex Wittenaar's wood/sinew bows? Maybe a bit more reflex if bamboo is more elastic...

4 (edited by Pedro C 2016-07-30 01:40:45)

morton509 wrote:

Totally meant to be shot.  I think the bark may be flexible.  Im pretty sure the Hwarang has real bark on the outside, maybe its the way they slice it and glue it on that allows it to bend.  Not totally sure.

It's not the bark. It has no horn, only some mystery wood on the belly... apparently? Yet it looks like a ridiculously reflexed horn bow. This is the most one'd usually tie the ears into reflex when seasoning a horn bow...

5 (edited by Pedro C 2016-07-30 01:43:20)

Even the mokgung Thomas was selling... so short and reflexed, I wonder how far back it could be drawn without taking damaging set or breaking. Wonder if bamboo really can compress a lot more than woods.

I have a feeling that the bow from that museum was meant for practicing bowyery or for ceremonial purposes.. or maybe it'd be some sort of reaction wood, I dunno

I wouldn't doubt that they used such wood bows, I am sure that many couldn't afford to get full horn bows (I may be wrong though just assuming).

Thumbs up