Topic: left thumb protection

I shoot every day and recently i've been ripping up my left thumb quite a bit. It will begin to bleed after a few shots but a band aid normaly gives my thumb just enough protection. I think it's got to do with the fact that i wrap quite a bit of string around feathers to keep them on and they are quite sharp on the thumb. I never used to do that though and it was still a problem occasionally.  I know they sell left hand gloves but i hardly see any one using them, particualy really good korean archers. Is that true? maybe the is some thing i'm missing here?I should probably just shoot with a glove. Or maybe if it press the arrow into the bow more that might help.

Thumbs up

2 (edited by Mule 2014-04-24 11:12:00)

Re: left thumb protection

Raise your nocking point a little and your arrows won't hit your thumb

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12212152/2014-04-24%2013.10.25.jpg

Thumbs up

What do you use to make your nocking point? Mine is bare at the moment.

Thumbs up

The point on the string where you nock your arrow. Raise it instead of having it at the level your thumb is. Then the arrow will pass over your thumb instead of sliding across it

Thumbs up

Just shot then, works really well. thanks mule

Thumbs up

This method works for an average man's hand.  If shooting thumb ring style, find the nocking point on a Korean bow by balancing the string at the bottom of the center serving with a knife-hand, and then flatten your hand to where your pinky finger rests on the serving; that is your nocking point.  Otherwise, it's almost 3" up from the bottom of the serving--a little above even with the top of the grip.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by chalshokhi 2015-12-31 09:55:40)

It will begin to bleed after a few shots but a band aid normaly gives my thumb just enough protection. I think it's got to do with the fact that i wrap quite a bit of string around feathers to keep them on and they are quite sharp on the thumb. I never used to do that though and it was still a problem occasionally.  I know they sell left hand gloves but i hardly see any one using them, particualy really good korean archers. Is that true? maybe the is some thing i'm missing here?

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

This method works for an average man's hand.  If shooting thumb ring style, find the nocking point on a Korean bow by balancing the string at the bottom of the center serving with a knife-hand, and then flatten your hand to where your pinky finger rests on the serving; that is your nocking point.  Otherwise, it's almost 3" up from the bottom of the serving--a little above even with the top of the grip.

Can you please post a picture of your explanation? I try but find it difficult to imagine what you mean with knife-hand.. thanks!  smile

Thumbs up

Han wrote:
bluelake wrote:

Can you please post a picture of your explanation? I try but find it difficult to imagine what you mean with knife-hand.. thanks!  smile

Hope this helps...

Post's attachments

13918642_10153807616037045_1464702163_o.jpg 93.31 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

13918948_10153807616552045_1066952563_o.jpg 89.48 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up