Topic: Hello from Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to learn to shoot on my own for about 2 years now. Started with a Nomad bow from koreanbow.com, 40 lb. It was a pleasure buying from them. I shot that bow initially with the leather glove. I then tried a pool ball thumb ring, which wasn't great. Then tried a vermil classic thumb ring, adjusted with some light sanding and thats working very nicely.

I recently bought a SMG Carbon laminate with birch bark backing from Korea Kukgungwon. Everything worked out well with delivery with good support  from the seller. Been shooting the bow for about two weeks now. stepped up to 50 lbs draw weight. Don't know why but am shooting a lot better than with the Nomad. The bow is smoother to draw and the quality of the finish is a lot better.

I am shooting in my back yard so only 15 meters away. I have made up some arrows from bamboo shafts from Oulay that have worked out pretty well.

Been enjoying lurking on the forum and wanted to join in.

Regards,
Jairaj

Thumbs up +2

Re: Hello from Johannesburg, South Africa

Welcome.

Thumbs up

3 (edited by Pedro C 2016-08-26 08:46:57)

Welcome!

More temptation... haahahaha. Maybe I'll get myself a SMG Carbon for new year's..

I have a Vermil classic that's a bit too small, not so comfortable. And a Vermil Victory that's a little big, it works fine padded with leather but it feels like it bends with 55#..

And just recently did I get cheap plastic vernier calipers from ebay. Alibow's horn Korean style rings seem pretty cheap... and have custom sizing..

Hi Pedro,

I found the vermil ring was quite easy to resize a little if too small with sandpaper. Sanding it gave off pleasant smell too.

Thumbs up

Seems like you are doing well! No pain in the thumb, no arrows landing on the target with the tail to one side, but straight?

15 meters isn't too bad..

I'm having to get a larger thumbring as my thumb has grown a little and there are a few callouses. Also arrows seem to hit slightly tail to the left, any idea how to fix that?

What sort of accuracy are you getting? When I am on form I am hitting a 15cm +- diameter circle 2 out of 3 shots.

Thumbs up +1

7 (edited by Pedro C 2016-09-08 01:07:00)

On a very good day I could mostly hit the red at 18 meters most of the time, I have to practice a lot to get back up to that point. I think that's.. 25 cm?
On average I'd miss the target a couple of times every day and hit all over the place, which is maybe a meter in diameter or something. Maybe some more. The bow I got was too heavy for me.. and I need to get better arrows. And take my time more.
And my arrows almost always fly with tail to the right unless I try very hard to have a good release and manage to do it, but I shoot off the right side of the bow. I've had the Nomad over a year..
Do you shoot off the left side?

I am shooting off the right side too. I have noticed if I get the torque on the grip just right so that the bow rotates away on release the arrows fly straighter. I'm guessing the arrows may be underspined.

Thumbs up

9 (edited by Pedro C 2016-09-08 06:06:24)

Interesting; if they were underspined, I would expect them to land tail right. Maybe you're torquing too much? Or they're fishtailing..

What would cause fishtailing (and what is it)?

Thumbs up