Topic: jum-tong(grip)

My Song Mu Gung has some blue foam for the jumtong that actually seems rather nice, feels good without a wrapping over it. I wonder where I could find more of that blue foam, or actual jum-tong to be glued onto a bow.

Thanks

Re: jum-tong(grip)

Meh, I think I'll just get cork; it was the traditional material? I wonder if it was also used in that Joseon last king's target bow.. i think the jumtong was grey.. maybe just the covering

No, wood. No cork in Asia. You don't need a spongey material, they use sponge so it's easier for the user to trim to the size of their hand, not for some shock absorbing property.

Thumbs up

4 (edited by Pedro C 2016-10-27 21:30:46)

weird, it seems like they used cork in Manchu bows at least. or something like it..
I also read somewhere that some kind of paper might've been used for jumtong. might just layer grocery paper bags ...

There's cork in Manchuria but it's not the same cork they make wine corks and stuff out of. The bark is thin, and used as a wrapping, not as a building material

Thumbs up

6 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-01 18:15:54)

I think I read somewhere that this cork was used for bow grips and possibly imported into Korea (joseon?) for bow grips
maybe paper's close enough