Topic: Hi ho from Sweden

Hi my namne is gondoix im from Sweden  i have been shooting korean archery since  november 2015  and blackpowder shooting since 2013 . i stumbled upon the art of korean archery when i was looking for some type archery for just meditation and historical similarites. Well lets say i got hooked on korean archery and the techniques .  smile  What im shooting Now is an nomad ktb 60/31 . And just bought my first hornbow . But  i hope to learn and share info on techniques on the art of korean archery .

best regards from Sweden smile

PS sorry for my half twisted typing  wink

Thumbs up

2 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-03 03:52:41)

Re: Hi ho from Sweden

Welcome!

A hornbow? That would be interesting. what kind? pics? Don't twist it... (I twisted my magyar hornbow :\)

Korean hornbows are crazy to maintain.. good luck, if it is one

60lbs sounds quite heavy for learning, I just bought a 20lbs segye bow for tuning my form. I plan to get a 60lbs or more (70lbs?) Korean bow when I feel that my form is actually good and I can hit the 145m target with some frequency with the 41-45lbs. Though my horn bow is already 60lbs..

if you're strong and already have good general form, 60lbs might be fine though tongue

However, this light bow stuff is more common in modern western archery teaching (Gao Ying text said ~40lbs, no reason to go lower, but we go lower), but I did it because my accuracy really sucks and I'm sick of it, and I notice it is difficult to rotate my bow arm properly with a not-very-light bow, I hunch my bow shoulder, and my release is not as clean as I'd like. Even with these faults, I was told to just do pulling exercises with a 41lbs bow.. breathing in, then out after releasing (or un-opening the bow - never dry firing)

Though I guess one never stops learning? :\ I guess for "maintaining" good form, a heavy bow is good.

Korean bows are fast. a western recurve with wood arrows at 20lbs is good enough for 18 meters, so a 20lbs Korean bow with light carbon arrows is more than fast enough..

3 (edited by Gondoix 2016-11-03 18:37:16)

thank you ^^

Ah the horn bow is the taegeuk (gakung) :-) it Will arrive about an Week  smile 
Will post pics when it arrives
Well i actualy jumped straight at 60  to get som extra  exercise  smile but for some wierd reason i dont think its that heavy but i feel it in my thumb if i dont use the right padding  smile 

How did you sucseed to  twist ur hornbow ?

Thumbs up

4 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-03 22:46:21)

Oh, that one will be fine, cool. it's not sinew backed, but uses carbon or something instead, increasing stability. Still, horn belly..

So... I decided to be cheap for $40 (!!), and try to make my own tepeliks (equivalent of Korean dojigae). My excuse being that I thought I could tackle tepeliks for free and learn something about woodworking in the process. Oh boy.
Mine were/are bad and uneven. And also, I was doing the step-through method like the bowyer did on the video. That bow is too long and doesn't have the hooky tips to string it step-through like a Korean bow, so it has to be at an angle.. (rather than perpendicular to the legs). I find it too easy to twist bows by stringing step-through. Unless they're the Korean bows with synthetic materials, I guess.
I found it's better to string it sort of like a yumi, but it's too late. Until I fix the twist and that blemish in the back, anyway.
More here http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2808

Yeah I asked koreanbow about their Taegeuk 'hornbow' and it isn't really a hornbow, just a fiberglass bow with horn belly. They do sell a real hornbow for $800

Thumbs up

6 (edited by Gondoix 2016-11-04 02:54:16)

When I spoke  to them they told me its all natural material  the taegeuk gakung but  when it arrives  I will double check  under the protective backing  on the bow

But  if  it is carbon backed with  wood horn carbon  it's still an Hornbow.  the one with sinew is usaly called an composite bow . but if my  guess  is right    and what others told me it is horn  wood sinew  with modern glassfiber epoxy

Thumbs up

7 (edited by Gondoix 2016-11-04 02:49:12)

Pedro C wrote:

Oh, that one will be fine, cool. it's not sinew backed, but uses carbon or something instead, increasing stability. Still, horn belly..

So... I decided to be cheap for $40 (!!), and try to make my own tepeliks (equivalent of Korean dojigae). My excuse being that I thought I could tackle tepeliks for free and learn something about woodworking in the process. Oh boy.
Mine were/are bad and uneven. And also, I was doing the step-through method like the bowyer did on the video. That bow is too long and doesn't have the hooky tips to string it step-through like a Korean bow, so it has to be at an angle.. (rather than perpendicular to the legs). I find it too easy to twist bows by stringing step-through. Unless they're the Korean bows with synthetic materials, I guess.
I found it's better to string it sort of like a yumi, but it's too late. Until I fix the twist and that blemish in the back, anyway.
More here http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2808

alright  if u still have the twist  my best bet would be heat the bow and twist it back

Thumbs up

8 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-04 08:38:15)

Eh, a real sinewed Korean hornbow would have a much higher chance to break and/or twist and shed the string. Tough to tame... you most likely won't have any of those problems with that Taegeuk bow.
I guess it is similar to this one - http://www.smgung.co.kr/2010/english.htm "gae-ryahng-gak-gung"

Here I think the "gae-ryahng" is 개량 or "improvement" according to google translate tongue The owner of the gungdo page also calls it improved horn bow. Now I'm not sure how different it is from the carbon bow in feel..

I am almost sure that it has no sinew and it isn't all natural. A bit weird that they said it was all natural? But it has horn, so it's a hornbow..
I still want a real Korean hornbow, but not any time soon. And not without personal guidance.
Anyway I'd love to see full draw 32" from the side!

9 (edited by Gondoix 2016-11-04 12:14:01)

Pedro C wrote:

Eh, a real sinewed Korean hornbow would have a much higher chance to break and/or twist and shed the string. Tough to tame... you most likely won't have any of those problems with that Taegeuk bow.
I guess it is similar to this one - http://www.smgung.co.kr/2010/english.htm "gae-ryahng-gak-gung"

Here I think the "gae-ryahng" is 개량 or "improvement" according to google translate tongue The owner of the gungdo page also calls it improved horn bow. Now I'm not sure how different it is from the carbon bow in feel..

I am almost sure that it has no sinew and it isn't all natural. A bit weird that they said it was all natural? But it has horn, so it's a hornbow..
I still want a real Korean hornbow, but not any time soon. And not without personal guidance.
Anyway I'd love to see full draw 32" from the side!

Yup its technicaly similiar to the smg  but im gonna check it when it arrives

i Will get u an picture when bow is  full drawn  when it arrives i Will also Do an unboxing video on youtube

Thumbs up +1

http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/view … 4028#p4028

Pics of it unstrung here, it's just a laminated bow with horn belly. My SMG laminated horn is the same

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/view … 4028#p4028

Pics of it unstrung here, it's just a laminated bow with horn belly. My SMG laminated horn is the same

sinew backed bows are also laminated wink

but even if it has  wood horn and carbon ts the same performance as an normal horn bow

i heard the smg one is highly regarded by some smile

Thumbs up

No, it absolutely cannot have the same performance as a real hornbow. Without sinew the bow can't be reflexed as much, which reduces the preloading that gives hornbows their smooth draws. Having horn on the belly doesn't help that. The bow shoots just the same as a carbon, just a wee bit slower because horn is heavier than carbon.

At draw weights lower than ~40 pounds, carbons shoot better because they're lighter and more efficient. At heavier draw weights horn/sinews shoot better because of the energy advantage. Carbon bows with horn bellies shoot with the lower energy of a carbon bow with slightly less efficiency. The main advantage is that it looks good.

Horn/carbon hybrids shoot with 10% less energy than horn/sinews at ~50 pounds

Thumbs up

13 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-06 23:09:19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cicYRzWss74#t=16m33s
Horn/sinews do seem to have plenty of hysterisis though, it seems.  They take a lot of string follow, shape almost approaches that of the carbon bows when it's unstrung seconds after just having pulled to full draw. But of course, since the horn/carbon is less reflexed when rested, it would take even more string follow...

so it's been tested that horn carbons shoot worse at 50#? good to know

14 (edited by Gondoix 2016-11-07 02:47:39)

But i spoke to One of the guys  of the forum he also told Me that the bow is all natural material but with modern resin so something tells Me the that the bow Has sinew mixed with either fiberglas/carbon resin  but as said im gonna take alook under the wraping when it arives

Thumbs up

got the bow today smile  and i checked under the wraping  and yep it has carbon instead of glassfiber or sinew but it feels better to draw than my nomad ktb bow  smile

so the bow has

horn belly wood core and carbonic backing   but well its gonna be fun to se how it shoots smile

Thumbs up

Welcome.  What part of Sweden are you from?  My wife and I are thinking of moving there and this is the first time anyone from Sweden and chimed in at this forum.  Plenty of good places to shoot in the country side.  I got into archery for the meditation aspect as well.  After you get comfortable with your bow then you start to shoot allot with the mind. I Love that aspect of it.

Thumbs up

17 (edited by Gondoix 2016-11-10 17:49:12)

morton509 wrote:

Welcome.  What part of Sweden are you from?  My wife and I are thinking of moving there and this is the first time anyone from Sweden and chimed in at this forum.  Plenty of good places to shoot in the country side.  I got into archery for the meditation aspect as well.  After you get comfortable with your bow then you start to shoot allot with the mind. I Love that aspect of it.

thank you ^^
i live in the main capital stockholm ^^  right now its snow alot of it  here tongue 
but i can recommend  sweden but visit first before moving here smile  to see if u like the climate and the people `.

actualy gonna test the bow in next thouesday smile itr pretty nice to draw a little cracky tough tongue

and yes the archery meditation is good it helps  to relax ^^

Post's attachments

14915185_201022447010564_4760670675917107996_n.jpg 99.03 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

18 (edited by Gondoix 2016-11-14 18:24:27)

tried the horn bow today at the range and it broke hmm

Post's attachments

15086798_203560936756715_1608068068_n.jpg 32.09 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up