Topic: Brace height on an SMG?

Hi, I am wondering is someone can answer this. I am wondering about the brace on on Korean bows, my 61.5# SMG in particular. I found some old topics that pointed to 5.5-6", but I am unsure from where brace height is measured on a Korean bow, and how much it actually matters. When I shoot with Master Heon Kim I he topic never comes up, we just string them up and shoot them at whatever brace height they are at. His accuracy does not seem to be at all effected, I am curious if maybe brace height matters less at such extreme range at 150m? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thumbs up

Re: Brace height on an SMG?

yeah I'd maybe ask him, I'm not sure if it's measured from the grip or arrow pass. 6" works well for me

Measured from the grip.

Thumbs up +1

Wow.. then I guess mine is 5.5"

That's about where it should be.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Measured from the grip.

From what spot on the grip? Since the back of the grip is angled, would you measure from the center? Or from the bottom closest to the string?

Thumbs up

About center...

Thumbs up

Wow, then my brace height is probably below 5.5". If it was at the top of the grip, I think it'd be around 5.5".

Pedro C wrote:

Wow, then my brace height is probably below 5.5". If it was at the top of the grip, I think it'd be around 5.5".

It's usually between 5.25 and 5.5...

Thumbs up +1

I got a new 47-inch smg today from my teacher (locomotive was there too) and I smacked my wrist more times than I could count. I checked the brace height after I got home. Oh, 4.5''.  Twisted the string 30 times to get it just above 5. Will see how it shoots tomorrow.

Thumbs up +1

Are you shooting with a thumb draw?  It seems weird that it would hit you wrist.

Thumbs up

Yup, shooting thumb.  Getting hit right where my watch would be.  I raised the brace height to above 5, no more slaps.

Thumbs up +1

My 47" SMG has a brace height of exactly 5.5" with the original string untwisted when I measure to the belly directly above the grip. Meassured to the middle of the grip (as Bluelake suggests) it's less of course.
So is the string usually twisted somewhat?

Thumbs up

Thilo wrote:

My 47" SMG has a brace height of exactly 5.5" with the original string untwisted when I measure to the belly directly above the grip. Meassured to the middle of the grip (as Bluelake suggests) it's less of course.
So is the string usually twisted somewhat?

Yes.  You twist the string until you get the brace height you want out of it.

Thumbs up