Topic: Hiya from NY!

Hi! I'm a 2nd Dan/ Kyo Sah Nim in Korean sword art but I've been practicing traditional Korean archery since last year when my martial arts academy made the momentous switch to a new federation. The bow is just as important as the sword in their curriculum and it didn't take long for me to fall in love with it. My daily life can be hectic and I love the sense of calm that comes from an hour of shooting. In both my own practice and as we begin teaching these new skills to the students; its very important to me that I demonstrate the techniques correctly. I know I have tons upon tons still to learn and I'm thrilled to have found this forum. A lot of your discussions and questions have already been incredibly helpful.

Thumbs up

Re: Hiya from NY!

Interesting, there's a school for Gungdo in NY?  By any chance is this around Bayside? 

Anyway Welcome! big_smile

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard!
A lot of very nice and helpful fellows in this forum...

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

Interesting, there's a school for Gungdo in NY?  By any chance is this around Bayside? 

Without knowing, I would guess it might be Kuksoolwon, which incorporates gungdo into its activities.

Thumbs up +1

bluelake wrote:

Without knowing, I would guess it might be Kuksoolwon, which incorporates gungdo into its activities.

Is that word by any chance the equivalent to Japanese 'Budokai'? 

I did a quick google search and actually found the one in Rochester and even one by me, though I doubt my state's offers Gungdo.  However I will ask.  Can't hurt after all.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

Hi and thanks! Unfortunately, we're in Suffolk county but its also mostly a sword art/ tae kwon do school. The sword half of the school switched to the Kummooyeh Federation which still primarily focuses on swordsmanship but incorporates some kuk kung as well (and a bit of meditation). The school may eventually offer classes/ range time for anyone who just wants to practice archery but right now we're still learning. We're also not large enough to have anything near the full 145m range...though I'm not opposed to knocking down a wall to make room:P

Thumbs up +1

7 (edited by geoarcher 2016-12-02 13:21:03)

BladeandBow wrote:

Hi and thanks! Unfortunately, we're in Suffolk county but its also mostly a sword art/ tae kwon do school. The sword half of the school switched to the Kummooyeh Federation which still primarily focuses on swordsmanship but incorporates some kuk kung as well (and a bit of meditation). The school may eventually offer classes/ range time for anyone who just wants to practice archery but right now we're still learning. We're also not large enough to have anything near the full 145m range...though I'm not opposed to knocking down a wall to make room:P

Interesting.  Yeah I'm trying to keep track of how many Korean archery schools/centers of learning there are here in the States.  As of now I think the only learning resources would be Master Kim's out in California (and maybe one other out there), bluelake's seminar in Michigan, and now what you guys are trying to establish although I thought I heard something about a school up in Massachusetts.  Compared to Kyudo in the states, Gungdo seems to have a smaller foot print in terms of these resources.  On the east coast alone I can name off at least three Kyudo learning centers that are fully established and there's probably a few more.  For Gungdo its barely even one.  hmm

But anyway I wish you luck and success in establishing your curriculum.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:
BladeandBow wrote:

Interesting.  Yeah I'm trying to keep track of how many Korean archery schools/centers of learning there are here in the States.  As of now I think the only learning resources would be Master Kim's out in California (and maybe one other out there), bluelake's seminar in Michigan, and now what you guys are trying to establish although I thought I heard something about a school up in Massachusetts.  Compared to Kyudo in the states, Gungdo seems to have a smaller foot print in terms of these resources.  On the east coast alone I can name off at least three Kyudo learning centers that are fully established and there's probably a few more.  For Gungdo its barely even one.  hmm

But anyway I wish you luck and success in establishing your curriculum.

The problem with gungdo is that the governing body in Korea is highly political, so they only grant status to places that have a political connection to them.  Anyone who establishes an association, club, etc. outside their control gets blacklisted (and anyone who joins becomes persona non grata).

Thumbs up +1

That sounds pretty bad. Is "kukgung" a different thing at all?

10 (edited by geoarcher 2016-12-03 03:47:18)

bluelake wrote:

The problem with gungdo is that the governing body in Korea is highly political, so they only grant status to places that have a political connection to them.  Anyone who establishes an association, club, etc. outside their control gets blacklisted (and anyone who joins becomes persona non grata).

I see.  Well, I just did a little more research and found two learning centers in neighboring states that are associated with an actual federation/Korean master that offer Gungdo.  So that makes it I guess two or three learning centers or maybe even four on the East Coast but naturally these all seem tied to the 'sword curriculum' (Kummoyeh?) and not 'stand alone' Gungdo.  So its often the sword aspect that dominates more.  The one Korean weapons center in my state just offers 'Gum' as I was told apparently.  So naturally I will not be visiting for even free lessons (I just have too many things I do at the moment, don't need to take up another). 

I find with Kyudo on the east coast, you can actually participate in weekly or bi-weekly classes with a group dedicated strictly to just Kyudo in a Kyudojo setting with targets appropriately placed and a Kamidana etc.  Naturally, no place by me is going to have anything remotely close to how you can learn Gungdo in Korea with targets at 145 meters and what not.  Nonetheless, I may go to one of the seminars offered connected to the 'sword curriculum'.  Apparently, an actual Korean master comes in for these seminars as well.

Thumbs up

11 (edited by morton509 2016-12-03 08:53:47)

All this makes me really appreciate Master Kim in Valley Center, CA.  His shooting range is open to everyone interested.  No weird formalities, just nice normal people shooting in a beautiful setting.

Thumbs up +1

Pedro C wrote:

That sounds pretty bad. Is "kukgung" a different thing at all?

Same thing, different name.

Thumbs up

morton509 wrote:

All this makes me really appreciate Master Kim in Valley Center, CA.  His shooting range is open to everyone interested.  No weird formalities, just nice normal people shooting in a beautiful setting.

My son and I visited him back in 2004 when we took my late parents on a cruise from LA to Ensenada.  His sajeong was still under construction, but we still enjoyed shooting for the day (and a delicious meal back at his place).  I'm happy to call him a friend, and really like what he's doing.

Thumbs up

Master Heon Ku Kim is the best. Can't wait to start attending regularly next year. I am really lucky to live this close to him. Need to step it up and get a driver's license...

Nice to meet you everybody!  smile

Thumbs up

rickcampbell81 wrote:

Nice to meet you everybody!  smile

Welcome!

Thumbs up