1 (edited by Natasha 2017-02-01 01:34:50)

Topic: Arrow alternatives

Hi. I am using a kaya KTB bow, 48" 35#, with gold tip 600 (GPI 5.9) arrows. Is there an alternative arrow maker and type I can use?

Thumbs up

Re: Arrow alternatives

- korean arrows, contact Thomas Duvernay
- aluminum (Easton  platinum?) for short distance they're good. how far do you draw?
- Easton powerflight are pretty cheap but the weaker spine ones are shorter

I guess there's the Chinese carbonized tonkin bamboo arrows too, can be pretty cheap
There was some site that sold extra cheap carbon arrows...

Pedro C wrote:

- aluminum (Easton  platinum?) for short distance they're good. how far do you draw?

I guess there's the Chinese carbonized tonkin bamboo arrows too, can be pretty cheap

Thanks Pedro Draw is 64 cm. Who is Thomas Duvernay?

Thumbs up

4 (edited by Pedro C 2017-02-02 03:30:12)

Natasha wrote:
Pedro C wrote:

Thanks Pedro Draw is 64 cm. Who is Thomas Duvernay?

Bluelake, he runs this website

Are you doing a Korean traditional draw with thumb ring to behind the ear? Or 3 fingers?

Also the Easton Aviator are pretty cheap. And come in 31"! (78.74cm)

Gold Tips deliver pretty good performance as I found out when chronographing them with my Korean bow.  Just out of curiosity what are you trying to get out of exploring alternative arrows?  Korean ones are good for authenticity but not speed, the blunted end adds a bit too much weight.

Just some things to think about if you haven't already.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

Gold Tips deliver pretty good performance as I found out when chronographing them with my Korean bow.  Just out of curiosity what are you trying to get out of exploring alternative arrows?  Korean ones are good for authenticity but not speed, the blunted end adds a bit too much weight.

Hi Geoarcher.

I was hoping to buy some arrows in bulk (pack of 20 or 50 if possible) so hence the search for an alternative.

Pedro C, thanks for the extra info, I googled Thomas before getting your reply. Will look into the Eastern Aviators.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

bluelake found me some 7.5chix6.0don korean arrows, at about 8gpp with my ~45# bow at that draw.
Pretty light IMO. But 7x7 would be over 10gpp.

You can try ebay.  Sometimes you can find goldtip bundles at a discount price because they are blemished, meaning they have cosmetic flaws but otherwise shoot just fine.

Thumbs up +1

I would love to have more aluminum shaft choices, with 32" shafts.. wish there was more than just Easton. I'd like to play with stuff between .350" and .800" of deflection.