Topic: Opening up the Korean Bow

So I've been studying Kyudo for about a year now and in this genre of archery you're told to open up the bow in a way that it's almost as if you don't have any arms at all although at the same time 2/3rds of the bow or pushing arm are utilized while only 1/3rd of the pulling/string arm are used.  A metaphor of 'drawing back the curtains is used'.  Energy is focused to your 'tandan' (lower core area) and all this is supposed to bring about a smooth draw and stable 'kai' (holding the bow in position). 

When I go back to some Korean/Gungdo videos it looks like sometimes the arms are used more here to open up the bow although I'm not completely sure.  I thought I came across text in the past that said the energy is focused to your core are as well to ensure stability.

So what in more detail, is the appropriate way to open up the Korean bow?  Is there (an) approach similar to how its specified in Kyudo to open up bow?

Thumbs up

Re: Opening up the Korean Bow

geoarcher wrote:

So I've been studying Kyudo for about a year now and in this genre of archery you're told to open up the bow in a way that it's almost as if you don't have any arms at all although at the same time 2/3rds of the bow or pushing arm are utilized while only 1/3rd of the pulling/string arm are used.  A metaphor of 'drawing back the curtains is used'.  Energy is focused to your 'tandan' (lower core area) and all this is supposed to bring about a smooth draw and stable 'kai' (holding the bow in position). 

When I go back to some Korean/Gungdo videos it looks like sometimes the arms are used more here to open up the bow although I'm not completely sure.  I thought I came across text in the past that said the energy is focused to your core are as well to ensure stability.

So what in more detail, is the appropriate way to open up the Korean bow?  Is there (an) approach similar to how its specified in Kyudo to open up bow?

"Push the high mountain and pull the tiger's tail"  You push out on the bow (energy will be in the bottom of the grip, which is buried in the heel of the palm of the bow hand), while at the same time you draw the string.  Generally, the bow will be started to be drawn a little bit over the head (hence, the high mountain).

Thumbs up +2

Re: Opening up the Korean Bow

bluelake wrote:

"Push the high mountain and pull the tiger's tail"  You push out on the bow (energy will be in the bottom of the grip, which is buried in the heel of the palm of the bow hand), while at the same time you draw the string.  Generally, the bow will be started to be drawn a little bit over the head (hence, the high mountain).

Wow, very different.  The arms are actually the most important thing it sounds to open the Korean bow if I understand correctly.

Thumbs up