1 (edited by Moose 2018-02-22 03:22:40)

Topic: Serving & nocking point strink?

Hey guys,

Im getting a bit bored of the string on my bow so im looking to swap it up, does anyone know the serving and end loop string used on ymg bows?

Also ive been tieing a single knocking point, but ive found the bulky knocking point hits the end of my thumb and has caused a callus, ive tried fixing my release over the past month but no matter what i hit it. Regardless,  because of this im looking to swap to a korean style of nocking point but i dont know what kind of string I should use for that.

Any help would be greatful, thanks!

Thumbs up

Re: Serving & nocking point strink?

The string is FastFlight...  (TBH, I'm not exactly sure of the serving)

Thumbs up

I have a similar nocking point, but above.
In other words, I nock the arrow below the nocking points.
That allows me to put the arrow somewhere at the string (close below, to be more precise), push it up against the nocking point, and only then pull it fully on the string.
Advantage is, you can do it blindly, i.e. looking at the target, not the bow.

Thumbs up

An endless string is probably best to start with. Are you using the wide Korean type nocks? where'd you get your arrows? either way, ideally I'd just go with a thick enough serving to fit without double serving, from the middle of the string up about 6"/15cm. The tricky thing is knowing how many strands of material, and what thickness of serving material is needed for a good fit

It may be easier to just modify your current string or buy a string for that bow, and double serve for at least about 3" so the nocks fit, if needed. Then tightly tie a nock point that sits atop the nock like ragnar says.
Should be more durable with dyneema/spectra braided material. or could use a brass one if you have the tools

Regarding a nocking point, Koreans will usually just serve a little dental floss (or similar) at that point.  I sometimes go over it with a marker, just so it's obvious...

Thumbs up

6 (edited by Pedro C 2018-02-23 00:04:19)

also, I think master Heon Ku Kim does a little bit of a "fixed crawl", allowing some space between the thumb ring and the nock, about one arrow diameter's distance? I'm not sure of how common this is. Might help with the bulky nockpoint discomfort

I follow this method for creating a nock point on the string:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZYx1O … 0&t=0s

I had the same problem, and if you follow this man's video exactly you will have a nock point that is not too bulky but with just enough width to nock appropriately and comfortably.

Thumbs up +1

ragnar wrote:

I have a similar nocking point, but above.
In other words, I nock the arrow below the nocking points.
That allows me to put the arrow somewhere at the string (close below, to be more precise), push it up against the nocking point, and only then pull it fully on the string.
Advantage is, you can do it blindly, i.e. looking at the target, not the bow.

Yeah thats what I had, however i think i mde it too bulky, and now it catches on the tip of my thumb after release.

This is completely my fault and am trying to fix my release. What I believe is happening is that im just relaxing my hand to release with too much of a hook. Then the bulky knocking point runs up my ring and catches the tip of my finger.

When I get a clean release my accuracy at 18m is quite good, im almost even able to keep up with the scores at my club which has surprised me. But when it catches my thumb it starts to hurt and then go numb which just affects my accuracy.

Ive tried fixing this issue with repetition but its hard to do when it hurts. Haha.

Pedro C wrote:

An endless string is probably best to start with. Are you using the wide Korean type nocks? where'd you get your arrows? either way, ideally I'd just go with a thick enough serving to fit without double serving, from the middle of the string up about 6"/15cm. The tricky thing is knowing how many strands of material, and what thickness of serving material is needed for a good fit

It may be easier to just modify your current string or buy a string for that bow, and double serve for at least about 3" so the nocks fit, if needed. Then tightly tie a nock point that sits atop the nock like ragnar says.
Should be more durable with dyneema/spectra braided material. or could use a brass one if you have the tools

Im using the standard north american knocks on alibow carbons at 33." i need to buy new shafts at 300 i think as these are very bendy at that length.

Ill give those materials a try. I had a brass one on my youthbow while I waited for my SMG & YMG to come in the mail. If I wasnt insane that knock would've stopped me from continuing as I had the same issue except instead of a string knock it was a metal knock catching my thumb.

Thumbs up

Pedro C wrote:

also, I think master Heon Ku Kim does a little bit of a "fixed crawl", allowing some space between the thumb ring and the nock, about one arrow diameter's distance? I'm not sure of how common this is. Might help with the bulky nockpoint discomfort

I've seen this, ive given it a try, the issue is that my index finger that pushes my arrow into the bow doesnt keep enough force to hold the arrow onto the bow.

Ill give moving my hand down a bit more another shot. Might help with another issue im having.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

I follow this method for creating a nock point on the string:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZYx1O … 0&t=0s

I had the same problem, and if you follow this man's video exactly you will have a nock point that is not too bulky but with just enough width to nock appropriately and comfortably.

I tried the korean method of this but i suck and the nocking point came undone. Ill give this method a try.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Thumbs up

Moose wrote:

I tried the korean method of this but i suck and the nocking point came undone. Ill give this method a try.

No problem.  What exactly is the Korean method?

Thumbs up

12 (edited by Moose 2018-02-25 18:41:24)

geoarcher wrote:
Moose wrote:

No problem.  What exactly is the Korean method?

https://youtu.be/6fOCDJ5Cf50

Similar but you dont feed the string through a loop.

Out of curiosity what kind of string do you use for your serving and nocking point?

Thumbs up

13 (edited by geoarcher 2018-02-26 01:42:33)

Moose wrote:

Out of curiosity what kind of string do you use for your serving and nocking point?

Oh I see.  Yeah that could get a little bulkier than needed for comfort sake.  I use this product meant for fletching but seems to work relatively well for establishing a nock point also:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/pure-silk-thread.html

It may not be that appropriate as I've never investigated this stuff further.  I just happened to have it lying around from the days when I used to make my own arrows and wrap them with threading.  If you follow the man's method exactly, it should stay on fairly well even without a dab of say Ducos Cement.

Thumbs up

14 (edited by Moose 2018-03-31 04:51:27)

geoarcher wrote:
Moose wrote:

Oh I see.  Yeah that could get a little bulkier than needed for comfort sake.  I use this product meant for fletching but seems to work relatively well for establishing a nock point also:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/pure-silk-thread.html

It may not be that appropriate as I've never investigated this stuff further.  I just happened to have it lying around from the days when I used to make my own arrows and wrap them with threading.  If you follow the man's method exactly, it should stay on fairly well even without a dab of say Ducos Cement.

Just as reference theyre called fuji quilter silk, sewing thread.

Edit. Tried tying it like the videos above and it just snapped when pulling it through itself.

Do not recommend.

Thumbs up

To try out other serving materials use your existing string. Count the number of strands first. Then serve an empty area with a material of your choice and test. If too thin, add a couple of extra strands alongside the existing string and serve-again. If too tight, try to estimate how many strands you have to take off.

I used 20 strands of fast flight plus and a single serving with BCY halo (.019" diameter) and it fits perfectly all western carbon plastic nocks.

I have some carbon arrows from Korea and the nock is wider, so the recipe above would not work for them.

For nock point I simply use duct tape above the arrow nock. I cut a 2-3cm wide strip and then wrap it around the string 5 or so times -until it's about 2mm thicker than the serving. I do this because I tend to put pressure on the string with the index finger. This also helps in blind nocking because I nock low, then lock the finger below the nock, then push the nock up until it reaches the nocking point.

Thumbs up

This also helps in blind nocking because I nock low, then lock the finger below the nock, then push the nock up until it reaches the nocking point.

Me too, but I use cotton thread instead of duct tape.
The disadvantage, as I realized - with bulkier thumb rings, the arrow often gets squeezed away from the bow during draw.

Thumbs up

I use a leather thumb ring, so no issues there.

Thumbs up

Leather works for me, too.
But Alibow's "painless thumbring" just kicks the arrows off.

Does anybody know where nockpoints had been made historically (if at all) ? Above ? Below ?
I see some youtube guys shooting without one, usually on very short distances.
And I suppose a nocking point is really helpful when blindly nocking on at full gallop.

Thumbs up

ragnar wrote:

Leather works for me, too.
But Alibow's "painless thumbring" just kicks the arrows off.

Does anybody know where nockpoints had been made historically (if at all) ? Above ? Below ?
I see some youtube guys shooting without one, usually on very short distances.
And I suppose a nocking point is really helpful when blindly nocking on at full gallop.

Found this discussion on reddit a while ago.

There is this site, called http://www.archerylibrary.com/ that hosts a few books about archery. I've gone through a few of the older ones to check, but wasn't able to find anything. That is, until I happened upon "The English Bowman" (from 1801), and more specifically, this page (and more specifically, the second paragraph)  https://www.archerylibrary.com/books/en … l/125.html  Note that it talks specifically about wrapping the string. At the bottom end of that paragraph, the author notes that when the string is succifienctly streched, nocking points should be put on either side of the arrow.

While "The English Bowman" does mention it, "The Art of Archerie" does not. This chapter https://www.archerylibrary.com/books/ar … ter06.html goes into detail about the string, and mentions wrapping the string, but does not mention any nocking points.

2 points 2 years ago 

Thing is, that there are almost not strings intact left that are older than 200 years.

http://i.imgur.com/jUBQviE.jpg is a pic from a few years back, an ottoman bow from the 2nd half of the 16th century with it's silk string still on, hence it's so badly twisted. It's not exactly visible if the serving marks the nocking point, but it could be. Silk strings like these need serving in certain intervalls, because they tend to tangle up really badly. Bede Dwyer told me that a silk thread was used to mark the nocking point in these bows much later, in the 19th cent.

The Cagaan Chaad bow http://i.imgur.com/TzHXDHU.jpg from the 13th century doesn't have a nocking point

Id like to point out that serving has been used a lot in history and it could be that it was wrapped multiple times at the nocking point.

I know in kyudo there isnt a nocking point but it is marked, and its reinforced with serving.

Thumbs up

20 (edited by Moose 2018-03-31 04:58:02)

storm wrote:

To try out other serving materials use your existing string. Count the number of strands first. Then serve an empty area with a material of your choice and test. If too thin, add a couple of extra strands alongside the existing string and serve-again. If too tight, try to estimate how many strands you have to take off.

I used 20 strands of fast flight plus and a single serving with BCY halo (.019" diameter) and it fits perfectly all western carbon plastic nocks.

I have some carbon arrows from Korea and the nock is wider, so the recipe above would not work for them.

For nock point I simply use duct tape above the arrow nock. I cut a 2-3cm wide strip and then wrap it around the string 5 or so times -until it's about 2mm thicker than the serving. I do this because I tend to put pressure on the string with the index finger. This also helps in blind nocking because I nock low, then lock the finger below the nock, then push the nock up until it reaches the nocking point.

Yeah i do the same thing. Nock low and slide up, as well put pressure on the string with the index finger its cause a callus on my index finger which is why i recently picked up a knuckle protector from freddie archery, just shaped it to my hand, planning on using it this weekend. Still a few issues but ill work through them.

I would use tape but i have an issue with making things look neat and aesthetically pleasing and having tape on my bow would drive me crazy.

Thumbs up

21 (edited by geoarcher 2018-04-01 02:20:04)

Moose wrote:

Edit. Tried tying it like the videos above and it just snapped when pulling it through itself.

Do not recommend.

Thanks and wow really?  I've never encountered that problem but have had it come off sometimes.  Then again maybe I'm tying too loose?

Moose wrote:

I know in kyudo there isnt a nocking point but it is marked, and its reinforced with serving.

There are people who mark their nagajikake (serving) when first learning although if you showed up to a shinsa (exam) and the honchi (top ranking sensei) saw it he would fail you.  So after a while you are just supposed to know where to nock it.

In kyujitsu however, a bulky knot is made toward the top end of your nagajikake and acts as the nocking point much like in Korean archery.  It was and is still done to this very day as kyujistu is the actual martial style of Japanese archery that the Samurai would have practiced.  Having a knot in your nagijikake so you could nock effectively without looking was crucial for when the Samurai shot off horseback.  Kyudo grows out of kyujitsu and falls in the modern era of Budo along with a few other arts that the Samurai initial developed during the initial Budo era.  Kyudo was modified from this tradition by Buddhist  monks so that's why certain things are not kept over from the original Budo era.

Thumbs up

22 (edited by Moose 2018-04-01 16:20:10)

geoarcher wrote:
Moose wrote:

Do not recommend.

Thanks and wow really?  I've never encountered that problem but have had it come off sometimes.  Then again maybe I'm tying too loose?

Moose wrote:

There are people who mark their nagajikake (serving) when first learning although if you showed up to a shinsa (exam) and the honchi (top ranking sensei) saw it he would fail you.  So after a while you are just supposed to know where to nock it.

In kyujitsu however, a bulky knot is made toward the top end of your nagajikake and acts as the nocking point much like in Korean archery.  It was and is still done to this very day as kyujistu is the actual martial style of Japanese archery that the Samurai would have practiced.  Having a knot in your nagijikake so you could nock effectively without looking was crucial for when the Samurai shot off horseback.  Kyudo grows out of kyujitsu and falls in the modern era of Budo along with a few other arts that the Samurai initial developed during the initial Budo era.  Kyudo was modified from this tradition by Buddhist  monks so that's why certain things are not kept over from the original Budo era.

Yeah if it comes off its not proper, and or wont keep a consistant point, though idk how important a milimeter or two of movement on a nock is to our type of archery.

Ah thanks! is it just a knot in the string instead of just another string served around it.

I figure lots of cultures wouldve just marked where they wanted the arrow to sit and just knot the string on itself at that point.

Though i dont know what that would do to the dynamics of the string.

Thumbs up

23 (edited by geoarcher 2018-04-01 17:16:11)

I've had some instances where it would move although I've had it on my Saluki Damascus for a while now and its pretty stable.  Maybe some Ducos cement would help?  But just a little because otherwise it will be too hard and cause calluses.

The serving for a yumi's string (nagajikake) is traditionally made out of hemp fibers and wrapped around the string while wet with glue.  This is done a few times until you get a thick enough surface so when nocking the arrow it stays in place.  Its kinda like how composite bowers work with sinew.  However, the upper part would be bulked up a little more in order to ensure the nock point.  So actually it is more like an extra layer of material around upper part of the nagajikake.  I used knot above to describe it which I realize now was probably the wrong term to use.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

I've had some instances where it would move although I've had it on my Saluki Damascus for a while now and its pretty stable.  Maybe some Ducos cement would help?  But just a little because otherwise it will be too hard and cause calluses.

The serving for a yumi's string (nagajikake) is traditionally made out of hemp fibers and wrapped around the string while wet with glue.  This is done a few times until you get a thick enough surface so when nocking the arrow it stays in place.  Its kinda like how composite bowers work with sinew.  However, the upper part would be bulked up a little more in order to ensure the nock point.  So actually it is more like an extra layer of material around upper part of the nagajikake.  I used knot above to describe it which I realize now was probably the wrong term to use.

Ah ok. Makes sense thanks!

Thumbs up