Re: YT bow reviews ...

No.
I only have an "enforced"Google/YT  login, once created for an Android device, and and named after it (the device). I very rarely do login or comment to any YT site.
I've seen my comment then for an hour or so.

What that implies IMHO - we might not see all comments criticizing reviewed bows ...

Thumbs up

52 (edited by geoarcher 2018-12-02 19:50:57)

Amazing level of transparency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIEu_kz … L7-UQUdx-8

Ronald really comes through here and exposes all the problems with testing, warranty, and overall dealings with a problematic manufacturer that weren't addressed by the other reviewer.  Not for a second do I think this guy would take a kick back from a manufacturer for a good review in a video or any other incentive.  Alot of integrity.

I'd also like to take a second to mention that to proclaim any industry as being too small to buy a YT review is either naive or  misleading.  YT review buying is actually a pretty significant problem regardless of the industry.  I know this from being interested in custom guitars.  Alot of these smaller guitar companies that will try and buy YT reviews are hardly as large as the two major manufacturers and have a very narrow consumer reach.  If you don't believe me feel free to check out this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … qm8SH90POs

He reviews alot of guitars that are no where near the level as the major industry movers yet is often offered money for a positive review.  And so when this guy says he delivers truly unbiased reviews, I believe him as I should know, because he is absolutely merciless on guitars that I would consider decent.  Not everything is good by a long shot in his book.

And while I'm not going to explicitly say that any YT reviewer is taking kick backs for giving a manufacturer a good review, I will say that a company with the  consumer reach, and manufacturing capabilities (tons and tons of bows and arrows manufactured in a relatively short amount of time) such as AliBow would more than likely be easily able to make such offers.

But that's really not the ultimate or only qualifier the way I see it anyway for such activity.  Anyone willing to make a name for themselves could easily throw money out there to a YT reviewer for a positive review.

Of course, absolutely no one could be taking money for good YT reviews for bows.  And maybe its just other reasons why most reviews come out a certain way on a youtube channel.

Thumbs up

Not much to add for me.

He reviews alot of guitars that are no where near the level ...

The guy is a freak.
That's what you are called today if you stand by your own opinion, even if it hurts. The channel would perhaps be one of my favourites if I was into music ...

I will say that a company with the  consumer reach, and manufacturing capabilities (tons and tons of bows and arrows manufactured in a relatively short amount of time) such as AliBow would more than likely be easily able to make such offers.

It wouldn't matter to me from which manufacturer the "reviewer" accepts a pre-payment. All reviews would be tainted in my eyes.
BTW, didn't visit the discussed channel for about two month now.
And I passed a chance to buy a used Alibow bow last week.

Thumbs up

54 (edited by geoarcher 2018-12-01 19:06:47)

ragnar wrote:

The guy is a freak.

Haha.  When I read this line I wasn't quite sure where you were going at first but then I read on....

ragnar wrote:

It wouldn't matter to me from which manufacturer the "reviewer" accepts a pre-payment. All reviews would be tainted in my eyes.

If money is taken for one review, then its easily being taken every time its being offered.  I'd imagine the reviewer initiates the offer in many cases as well.

ragnar wrote:

BTW, didn't visit the discussed channel for about two month now.

I'll pop in every now and again and see what Armin has to say.  Its a fun channel but in no way 100% reliable for one to base a final decision as to whether or not a bow is good to purchase.  There are times when he does the comparative analysis thing that I feel he is actually doing a proper service and his Friday short segments are kinda nice but I'd almost always contact Ronald before purchasing anything that Armin shows on his channel.

Of course I understand not wanting to visit at all due to monetization issues and the censorship you faced not too long ago.

Thumbs up

Haha.  When I read this line I wasn't quite sure where you were going at first but then I read on....

I've been seen as freak by many others most of my life. But I don't care anymore...

I'll pop in every now and again and see what Armin has to say. ...

Not because of reservations about Armin. But at the moment, I have more than enough bows of that kind.
And if I consider a new one, I will definitely try it before I buy.

Thumbs up

56 (edited by ragnar 2018-12-03 18:29:16)

BTW, here one of my favourite channels in regard to compounds (slightly off-topic here, too).
Like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ObkuYRc54, where he's speaking a simple truth that holds for archery in general (at the 5:00 mark).
"Do you need a <add flagship bow of favourite company here> to shoot better ? No, you don't. You need to practice."

Thumbs up

57 (edited by geoarcher 2018-12-04 00:46:11)

ragnar wrote:

"Do you need a <add flagship bow of favourite company here> to shoot better ? No, you don't. You need to practice."

No.  Although it does help to have something fairly well made and is comfortable to you and can rely on.  Those factors are fairly important for making one feel confident in what they do.  Of course nothing can substitute hard work, sheer raw talent, dedication, discipline etc.  And some of course tout that its never the object or instrument that makes you great.  Its been said a good guitarist could pick up the crappiest of guitars and make them sound good.  The tone is in the fingers accordingly.  Likewise, I suppose a truly good archer could be great with any bow.

Still though, you can't shoot with a total piece of crap.  Safety reasons alone should qualify that statement.

Returning back to the subject, YT videos really do feed well into what's known as GAS throughout a multiple of hobbies/interests:

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Not a sure fire cure but a good way to fight it: cut down on YT review watching and go out there and shoot.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

Returning back to the subject, YT videos really do feed well into what's known as GAS throughout a multiple of hobbies/interests:

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Not a sure fire cure but a good way to fight it: cut down on YT review watching and go out there and shoot.

Exactly. Cited reviewer operates in a range very suspceptible to this syndrome. As said somewhere earlier, more than 95 per cent of compound bow "reviews" are blatant sales pushes. And compound manufacturers indulge deeply in planned obsolescence.
To explain his quote, there are no "crap" bows from established manufacturers, even cheap model use to shoot better then 90 per cent of the average shooter. Except some cheap & dangerous Chinese/Hongkong rip-offs.
Spending more money has no positive effect on the scores, only on the ego. Like with cars, for example. But that is another deep (mine) field...

Thumbs up

ragnar wrote:

As said somewhere earlier, more than 95 per cent of compound bow "reviews" are blatant sales pushes. And compound manufacturers indulge deeply in planned obsolescence.
To explain his quote, there are no "crap" bows from established manufacturers, even cheap model use to shoot better then 90 per cent of the average shooter. Except some cheap & dangerous Chinese/Hongkong rip-offs.

I've never been into compounds let alone technically shot one, something I can say along with the late great bowyer Ed Scott.  However, if someone wants to use one for a good reason I respect that and know alot of guys who only feel comfortable using them for hunting over other hunting weapons.  Its interesting though you bringing up obsolescence in this regard because what I sometimes refer to as the 'bow'-tech industry or compounds has always seemed very much predicated upon that since the very first time I walked into one of those self designated 'pro'-shops with the word 'tech' in it.  They pretty much 'have you' so to speak because the servicing of the bow seems almost exclusively geared to revisiting the shop every season and every season seems to bring new gear that you 'must have'.

My experience with shops like those is typically not positive as even though they'll sell arrows and other supplies that are fine for my interests, they hate it when you show up with a korean or long bow and often try and shame you into using compounds in which they demonstrate much ignorance in the process.  Even others who share their experiences about going into shops like that note how the shop's main guru often tries to gouge naive, unsuspecting newbies out of money for things they really don't need and 'services' usually not typically billed for.  So naturally when you show up with a real bow in hand, they know they won't make the money off you and will nearly refuse to help you in various servicing matters and what not even if they sell things that can go with my bows. 

Ergo, I am not the least bit surprised to hear what you are reporting about that industry from a YT perspective. 

ragnar wrote:

Spending more money has no positive effect on the scores, only on the ego. Like with cars, for example. But that is another deep (mine) field...

True although sometimes you get to a point in life where you want something customized or tailored more to your exact needs and liking.  And you just won't settle for anything else because you are at that point in life.  So if you want something nice for yourself, I say get it. 

I find the real aspects of ego come out more in archery among those who obsess over things like draw weight in that they must shoot the heaviest pound bow out there in a means to show superiority over others in some manner.  Any good dojo or teacher would wisely tell students its not in how much the draw weight of the bow is but rather are you able to learn how to shoot a bow well.  Often, using too heavy of a draw weight does not allow for this well and is usually purchased by your more ego driven practitioners unfortunately.

Thumbs up

Ergo, I am not the least bit surprised to hear what you are reporting about that industry from a YT perspective.

I like compound shooting because I need to slow down and concentrate - even more then with a KTB. Getting and keeping the pin on the target and release clean is not as easy as it looks. Some things are the same - bow grip, backtension, and drawlength / draw hand position. So I think shooting compound supports my thumb shooting as well.
My compound is (supposedly) designed to hold up at least 20 years, and the company is known to still produce spare parts for it's old bows. We will see.

I find the real aspects of ego come out more in archery among those who obsess over things like draw weight in that they must shoot the heaviest pound bow out there in a means to show superiority over others in some manner.

Interestingly, draw weight is an important factor for the success of compounds. Because of it's almost rectangular draw weight vs. draw length curve, a compound stores almost twice the energy compared to  a recurve. And with letoff, you hold almost nothing. That allows a lot of guys to bowhunt which would not be able to control a recurve or longbow of the required energy.
But still, you see many reviewer struggling to pull back. Perhaps an ego thing, I have mine turned down to slightly about 52#, which I can draw comfortably in every position.

Thumbs up

61 (edited by geoarcher 2018-12-05 11:54:23)

ragnar wrote:

Interestingly, draw weight is an important factor for the success of compounds.

As far as I'm concerned, the compound world can do whatever it wants here.  I was referring to the unbroken traditions of Kyudo and Gungdo regarding draw weight for appropriate development and tutelage within these arts.  Which are of course more relevant to this forum.

Returning more towards the subject of this thread, I just realized what I see as a positive for Armin: he doesn't demo bows at an unnecessarily heavy draw weight.

Thumbs up

Returning more towards the subject of this thread, I just realized what I see as a positive for Armin: he doesn't demo bows at an unnecessarily heavy draw weight.

I guess it would be obvious otherwise, and look ridiculous. I think I've seen YT videos with kids/teens frantically trying to pull a heavy bow ...
And I believe to remember Armin giving sensible recommendations regarding draw weights.

I was referring to the unbroken traditions of Kyudo and Gungdo regarding draw weight for appropriate development and tutelage within these arts.  Which are of course more relevant to this forum.

Not sure if it had been brought up here, but almost no reviews of KTBs, except for the Black Shadow. I remember no logical explanation for his "dislike" of this bows. He shoots turkish bows of similar length and weight, and draws other bows to 32" and more.

Thumbs up

ragnar wrote:

And I believe to remember Armin giving sensible recommendations regarding draw weights.

He deserves a pat on the back for that at least.

ragnar wrote:

Not sure if it had been brought up here, but almost no reviews of KTBs, except for the Black Shadow. I remember no logical explanation for his "dislike" of this bows. He shoots turkish bows of similar length and weight, and draws other bows to 32" and more.

Yeah don't know either.  Not going to speculate as well.  But don't forget he did do the Taqeuk as well.

Thumbs up

64 (edited by AsaMil 2023-12-11 13:54:09)

geoarcher wrote:
ragnar wrote:

And I believe these rangefinders for hunting are even better to remember Armin giving sensible recommendations regarding draw weights.

He deserves a pat on the back for that at least.

ragnar wrote:

Yeah don't know either.  Not going to speculate as well.  But don't forget he did do the Taqeuk as well.

Was Armin not giving good recommendations in the past?

Thumbs up

65 (edited by geoarcher 2019-02-18 22:53:46)

AsaMil wrote:

Was Armin not giving good recommendations in the past?

Let's just say his 'promotion' of Jackal bows and Alibow were somewhat controversial.  The details are in this thread.

Thumbs up

And let's add that some people here had real-life experience with some of the advertized bows, and experienced censorship on the YT channel.
As geoarcher said, details are in this thread.

I for one like the part of bringing otherwise "obscure" bowmakers to my attention. The due diligence is everone's own responsibility.
Caveat emptor.

Thumbs up