Topic: Adding "dogoji" to the bow

I have noticed that more traditional-looking Korean bows have a small round thing that looks like a button, on the siyah under the string, at the point where the string comes into contact with the bow, at both ends (I hope this description makes sense). This round piece is called a "dogoji."
However, the "modern" KTA bows with fiberglass laminated construction seem to frequently be missing the dogoji. I've found a vendor online that sells them, and I was wondering if there would be any advantage to attaching these to the bow. Does it help with string tension, balance, etc.?
Thank you.

Thumbs up

Re: Adding "dogoji" to the bow

BumblingBodkin wrote:

I have noticed that more traditional-looking Korean bows have a small round thing that looks like a button, on the siyah under the string, at the point where the string comes into contact with the bow, at both ends (I hope this description makes sense). This round piece is called a "dogoji."
However, the "modern" KTA bows with fiberglass laminated construction seem to frequently be missing the dogoji. I've found a vendor online that sells them, and I was wondering if there would be any advantage to attaching these to the bow. Does it help with string tension, balance, etc.?
Thank you.

Other bows in other cultures have them as well and as such can be found on Crimean Tatar bows.  Sometimes they are just called string rests. 

I've heard multiple reasons why they're added such as to simply help the string rest in its proper place after strung as well as something to do with acting as a protective feature for that part of the upper limb particularly for bows at heavier draw weights.  Though I'll admit I'm not sure on what the definitive answer is or if one answer is more definitive than the other.

Thumbs up