1 (edited by geoarcher 2019-01-10 15:23:52)

Topic: Authentic Horn KTB I (Gakgung)

Saw this over at koreanbows.com:

http://www.koreanbow.com/shop/index.php … ;id_lang=1

Is labeled as an 'authentic gakgung' yet specifications include fiberglass in addition to horn among wood and other elements.  No sinew to be found.  Sells for 845 USD and then there are the ones at ~500 USD.

Interesting.

Thumbs up

Re: Authentic Horn KTB I (Gakgung)

Interesting.

Indeed, but a bit above my budget for such a bow.

... specifications include fiberglass in addition to horn among wood and other elements.  No sinew to be found.

It would be interesting to know where the fiberglass is located.
BTW, I remember several real horn/sinew bow offers here in Europe, between 1500 ... 5000€. Not quite Korean, but very similar.
Being on another archery forum with hobby bowyers (successfully) building horn/sinew bows and recalling their build-along descriptions, I'm a bit suspicious of the "authenticity" of said Freddie's bow...
Sinew preparation is a tedious process, and glue drying takes weeks in each step.

Thumbs up

ragnar wrote:

BTW, I remember several real horn/sinew bow offers here in Europe, between 1500 ... 5000€. Not quite Korean, but very similar.
Being on another archery forum with hobby bowyers (successfully) building horn/sinew bows and recalling their build-along descriptions, I'm a bit suspicious of the "authenticity" of said Freddie's bow...
Sinew preparation is a tedious process, and glue drying takes weeks in each step.

Its very confusing how this item is being marketed.  Labeled a 'true' gakgung yet the picture suggests its some fort of continuation from that ~500 USD series.  Specs of course in the picture seem to suggest its a synthetic with horn belly.  Tageuk and SMG have made similar products for quite a bit less.  The price of this item nearly approaches the price of an actual gakgung.

However, I suspect the marketing behind this is it to have something so close in specs and aesthetics to a gakgung but without actually being one (less hassle for maintenance, operation, stringing).  And so the term 'authentic' is being used somewhat clumsy to convey this.

Anyway, at 800 plus dollars I doubt we'll hear any user reviews on this item anytime soon.

Thumbs up

The $845 one may draw "softer" but the $500 one is just as attractive from an authentic point of view.
I've just bought a Hwarang & have too many bows to consider more purchases tongue

Thumbs up

oni wrote:

The $845 one may draw "softer" but the $500 one is just as attractive from an authentic point of view.
I've just bought a Hwarang & have too many bows to consider more purchases tongue

Interesting, so I have you tried it before?

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

Interesting, so I have you tried it before?

No, that's why I said "may" have a softer draw.  Call it an educated guess.  Extrapolating from my grozer bio composite which has horn plate on the belly.  It has a "softer" draw than my other short turkish style bow which is a regular laminate.

Thumbs up