Topic: Bowstring Troubles

I have a Taegeuk horn bow that I have been shooting for a little over a year now. I recently put a new string on it (an SMG string if it matters) as the string that came with the bow finally wore out. I had taken a few dozen shots with the new string, but after I released the string on the next shot, the bow flipped into the unstrung position. Upon closer examination, the bottom loop of the string had slipped off one side of the bow. I inspected the bow, and it did not seem to have any damage, and did not look crooked in any way. I figured I would put the string back on and give it a few more tries just in case what happened was a fluke. After the next shot, I noticed that the bottom loop of the string had already offset itself to one side, and was close to slipping off again. At this point I packed it in, and figured I would come here for some help. Should I just get a new string all together, or is there some trick I am missing to make this one stay on?

Thumbs up

2 (edited by geoarcher 2019-01-10 20:44:45)

Re: Bowstring Troubles

So you checked for limb alignment and structural damage.  No problems there.  A new factor was however introduced: a new string.

So maybe verify or check the follow:

1) Check with manufacturer to see if SMG string is an appropriate replacement. 

The Tageuk's apparently are armed with Fast Flight strings.  I doubt SMGs would be significantly different but just check anyway.  Manufacturer may have specifics here.

2) Check with manufacturer regarding brace height.  Your new string may not have enough twist in it to effectively keep the bow stable.  Check with them on this matter and then adjust brace height if needed.

3) Verify your string length is correct.  It may be but just verify somehow.

I know the manufacturer may not be directly reachable so you may have to go to koreanbows.com and ask Freddie.  Other than that, that's all I got.

Thumbs up

Thanks! I'll give all that a try.

geoarcher wrote:

So you checked for limb alignment and structural damage.  No problems there.  A new factor was however introduced: a new string.

So maybe verify or check the follow:

The Tageuk's apparently are armed with Fast Flight strings.  I doubt SMGs would be significantly different but just check anyway.  Manufacturer may have specifics here.

2) Check with manufacturer regarding brace height.  Your new string may not have enough twist in it to effectively keep the bow stable.  Check with them on this matter and then adjust brace height if needed.

3) Verify your string length is correct.  It may be but just verify somehow.

I know the manufacturer may not be directly reachable so you may have to go to koreanbows.com and ask Freddie.  Other than that, that's all I got.

Thumbs up

I would do that especially.
Not sure if the distance between neck of the string nock and the string pad is the same for the Taegeuk and the SMG.
Differences here would require different string loop sizes.

Thumbs up