Topic: Bow Recommendations

Hello!

Just joined not to long ago and looking for some recommendations on a new Korean bow. I see all these acronyms online and I'm not to sure what it all means. Just looking something more traditional and not too expensive so I can get into Korean Archery and if there is anything else that I should be getting as well.
Thanks!

Thumbs up

2 (edited by Xesigi 2020-02-29 01:53:47)

Re: Bow Recommendations

Follow up on my previous question. Just looking around and found the KTB Kingdom or Black Shadow on koreanbow.com since it's around my price range. Looking at 40-45#@ 31". Not to sure how good this bow is since there are no reviews on it, so I thought I'd ask here. Also I'm not sure if I should be shooting at lower poundage since I'm new to Korean archery but around 40# is where I am comfortable at doing shooting other bows.

PS. I haven't noted it yet but my budget as a new shooter is around $500 for everything (bow, arrows, ring?/glove, possible tong-ah cause I thought it was interesting). Budget might change depending on what I want/need.

Thanks!

Thumbs up

3 (edited by geoarcher 2020-02-29 13:48:15)

Usually you want to start off with a set (inlcudes bow, case, and maybe some arrows).  Kaya's is usually pretty good for price and quality but I'm not seeing it offered at the moment.  May have dig around though and see if it pops up.

As for the bow kits at Freddie's site, the Nomad looks like a winner to me but I've no experience with it. 

Regarding draw weight, ideally what you'd want to do here is start off with a cheap beginner bow (50 to 90 dollar price range) that is rated at say 20 pounds @ 28 or 31 inches or so.  Obviously, this is not really feasible with Korean made traditional bows since they usually start at 200 dollars.  There used to be a Chinese company that I'd recommend here that made a beginner's bow designed to be utilized with a thumbdraw just like I mentioned at those specs and price but I am not recommending them anymore due to their unreliability in construction and poor customer care.  The bow is dangerous and will break on you.

Word of caution:  I'd hold off on the tonga until you gain balance and stability with the bow.

Thumbs up

4 (edited by Xesigi 2020-02-29 22:24:54)

geoarcher wrote:

Usually you want to start off with a set (inlcudes bow, case, and maybe some arrows).....

As for the bow kits at Freddie's site, the Nomad looks like a winner to me but I've no experience with it.

Yea I thought about a set but the sets are nearing my budget (and don't seem worth it). It comes with a glove and I do have a Japanese thumb draw glove, yugake, but probably wont be the same. I am also not sure if I should use a thumb ring. Plus the arrows included aren't or don't look feathered either. I might have to get everything separate sadly. sad

geoarcher wrote:

Word of caution:  I'd hold off on the tonga until you gain balance and stability with the bow.

Yea I looked around more and it was pretty expensive.

Thumbs up

Xesigi wrote:

Yea I thought about a set but the sets are nearing my budget (and don't seem worth it). It comes with a glove and I do have a Japanese thumb draw glove, yugake, but probably wont be the same. I am also not sure if I should use a thumb ring. Plus the arrows included aren't or don't look feathered either. I might have to get everything separate sadly. sad

The Nomad set over at Freddie's site is just 277 USD and comes with arrows that have the synthetic fletching which is standard for Korean carbon arrows.  They are fine to use. 

No, do not use the yugake.  Yes, do use a thumbring.  If you need to use a beginners glove that is typically sold with Korean bow sets in the beginning, that's totally fine.

Xesigi wrote:

Yea I looked around more and it was pretty expensive.

Price should not be your number one deterrent here.  Rather, its what I said.  You'll have to gain mastery of the thumb draw firstly if you are ever to use a tonga.

Besides, you can actually somewhat easily make a tonga yourself by just harvesting a good piece of bamboo and cutting it to the specifications known for this device.  As I have said before to someone here, consult Saracen Archery book for the specs on the tonga.  I  successfully made one doing just that and you can too if you just google search for the text and download it.

Thumbs up

Thanks Geoarcher!

I'll start off with that and get a thumb ring. I'll start looking into making a tonga once I get used to the technique.

Thanks again!

Thumbs up

Xesigi wrote:

Thanks Geoarcher!

I'll start off with that and get a thumb ring. I'll start looking into making a tonga once I get used to the technique.

Thanks again!

You're welcome and I wish you luck on your journey here into KTA.

Thumbs up