Topic: KTB review

The brown truck of happiness came screeching into the driveway a few hours ago and dropped of a KTB that draws 50#. I've about thirty arrows shot with it so far.
Impressions,
Bad first; The wrapping on the handle is, well, for want of a better word, unattractive moving to ugly. This is offset by it looking to be easily replaced. The covering on the limbs is not nearly as bad looking as it appears in the photographs published by Kaya, in fact it's sort of subtle. The string is listed as fast flight which has a breaking strength of #70 per strand so the twenty strand string that comes with the bow is needlessly heavy, the up side is if I get my truck stuck and need another four feet of cable I'm set. The "leather?" wrapping where the arrow passes will likely last another 100 shots, this is most likely due to my own sucky form. Non the less I'll make a 1/16" horn plate to glue in this area.
The good.
This sucker is fast! If I'm consistent with my form it's putting the arrows right where I'm pointing at 20 m. I'm drawing 31" because that's what I have for arrows at this time, I'm getting no stack with the point resting on my thumb and feel as if there at least two or three inches more draw left before I do.
Tomorrow I'll go over to the beach and see what It does for distance.
I consider what I paid for this bow, money well spent, and feel I got extraordinary value.
Z

Thumbs up

Re: KTB review

Yeah, I've mentioned to the Kaya people that the coverings need to be changed, which they tend to agree, but it hasn't happened yet.  They are wonderful bows, but I feel like I'm shooting a fast handbag with its paisley-like pattern. 

Regarding the string--the bows were meant for Korean-style arrows, which have wide nocks; hence the thick string and serving.

Have fun with it--they're nice bows.

T

Thumbs up

OK, I was at the beach this morning after hunting, (tourists have gone) There was a light wind of 5 kts. Shooting into the wind I was averaging 250 yards, with the wind I was getting 270-275 yards. This was with 492 grain WalMart carbon arrows drawn to 31", I have some Gold Tips That weigh 415 grains and are 32 1/3" with which I should be able to top 300 yds.
My form has improved so the wrapping at the arrow pass is holding up just fine after 1000 or so shots.
The serving on the nock loops wore through after about two hundred shots so I wrapped more serving over the area where contact is made with the nocks. I've got glue setting up on  a string making jig I'm building so later on today I'll make up a string of 12 strands of 8125 which should add a bit of speed and more importantly fit the nocks on my carbons better so I wont break any more. Pity I don't have lime green.  I hit the handle with some brown leather dye and paste wax, so it's over the ugly, I've decided that the limbs aren't bad at all especially since I don't see them when I'm shooting. I can't imagine what was going through the mind of whoever decided on paisley though. As an aside while hunting this morning I ran into some with a compound about two miles from where we were parked, when asked why I was using the KTB  I answered that it was fast, I was accurate with it and then I handed it to him, ounces are way better than pounds when you have to carry them in your hands. I still consider this money well spent.
Z

Thumbs up

The KTB can be drawn to 35" absolute max.  Once your draw hits 32", the arrows leaves the bow like mad.

Thumbs up

zdogk9 wrote:

OK, I was at the beach this morning after hunting, (tourists have gone)

Well, it was tourist season, after all... ;-)

Thumbs up

hey Zdog, catch anything yet with your kaya??

Thumbs up

Was out after deer this morning, had a 6X6 elk 30yds. from me, season closed yesterday though.

Thumbs up