1 (edited by Wheelius 2020-10-13 03:00:45)

Topic: Hwarang Janggung vs. Black Shadow 53"

Curious question: Is there a noticeable difference between a Black Shadow 53" (Freddie Archery) and a Hwarang Janggung (Dr. Thomas Duvernay aka. bluelake) in terms of max draw length?

According to Freddie Archery, the max draw of their 53" Nomad KTBs is 33.4 inches.

I currently own a 53" Black Shadow, which I have used since I started Asiatic Archery over a year ago. I have a fairly long draw length (34" comfortable, 35" max, 36" if I change my stance/form to more kyudo/manchu), and I'm wondering if Hwarang Janggung will allow for more draw length compared to the 53" Black Shadow.

Is there anyone that has experience with both bows that can speak to the draw length? I just want to avoid ending up with two KTBs that have the same draw length...

Thumbs up

2 (edited by geoarcher 2020-10-13 02:04:25)

Re: Hwarang Janggung vs. Black Shadow 53"

So the Nomad may be another rebranding of HMG.  If so, then I have experience with the Nomad/HMG and the YMG Janggung.  I also have experience with an SMG, the shorter YMG and the Kaya KTB.  If you were to ask me to rank my favorite bows among them all it would go like this:

1) SMG standard carbon
2) Kaya KTB
3) HMG/Nomad

The smoothest drawing one from what I recall was the Kaya KTB.  But I never owned one, rather I was given someones to draw and shot at the range one time.  So it may not be the best assessment.  I myself kinda feel almost all and any YMGs at any length and draw weight seem to have a lot of stack to them.  The HMG/Nomad would probably be the better buy.  I don't know where you can get SMGs anymore.

Thumbs up

I made a quick edit to my original post.

My main concern is max draw length. That is my #1 criteria when I'm buying a bow. All of the bows I own support 34+" draw according to the bowyers. Smoothness of draw or stacking doesn't bother me since I just power through and pull till the bow can't or shouldn't bend anymore.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

So the Nomad may be another rebranding of HMG.  If so, then I have experience with the Nomad/HMG and the YMG Janggung.  I also have experience with an SMG, the shorter YMG and the Kaya KTB.  If you were to ask me to rank my favorite bows among them all it would go like this:

1) SMG standard carbon
2) Kaya KTB
3) HMG/Nomad

The smoothest drawing one from what I recall was the Kaya KTB.  But I never owned one, rather I was given someones to draw and shot at the range one time.  So it may not be the best assessment.  I myself kinda feel almost all and any YMGs at any length and draw weight seem to have a lot of stack to them.  The HMG/Nomad would probably be the better buy.  I don't know where you can get SMGs anymore.

Since I already own a Nomad, I'd rather not waste my money on another. How was your experience with Hwarang Janggung? Were you able to draw it longer than a Nomad?

Thumbs up

5 (edited by geoarcher 2020-10-13 04:36:52)

Wheelius wrote:

How was your experience with Hwarang Janggung? Were you able to draw it longer than a Nomad?

They can both handle those 34 inch arrows that Freddie sells about the same.  Those I believe are the longest Korean carbon arrows on the market.  Although, you can get a little more draw out of the long YMG but not likely beyond 34 inches.

The only bow I ever owned so far that can be made to and is able to draw to a nice smooth 36 inches is my Kaiyuan by Alibow.

Thumbs up