1 (edited by geoarcher 2020-11-30 03:44:32)

Topic: Gak-gung shapes: ogum (오금)

Not all gak-gung have the same shape to them exactly.  Example:

https://i.imgur.com/FKVcB9L.png

The areas circled are termed 'ogum' (오금) and consist of three subdivisions (see bluelake's/Thomas Duvernay's book for more detail on the subdivisions).  The left bow has what was described to me by my bowyer as a 'short ogum' while the bow to the right has a 'far ogum'.  'Short' gives you easier draw at the beginning while for 'far' it's at the end.  I am not exactly sure how these variations in 'ogum' are crafted into the bow.  I know from inquiring that the bracers/dojigae and string length (alone?) apparently have nothing to do with determining the distance of the 'ogum' area. 

Regardless, you may have noticed these subtle differences and wondered how and why.

Thumbs up

Re: Gak-gung shapes: ogum (오금)

Here are the 3 ogum subdivisions:

-mon ogum
-han ogum
-pat'un ogum

Thumbs up

3 (edited by kaneda 2020-12-01 03:03:38)

hard to tell, the pictures are not taken at the exact same angle, but there appears to be some differences in the angle coming from the handle as well as how thick it starts from the handle. the siyahs seem to be more agressive on the bow on the right, but could just be the angle of the pictures

Thumbs up

4 (edited by geoarcher 2020-12-06 21:13:44)

kaneda wrote:

hard to tell, the pictures are not taken at the exact same angle, but there appears to be some differences in the angle coming from the handle as well as how thick it starts from the handle. the siyahs seem to be more agressive on the bow on the right, but could just be the angle of the pictures

Well, no actually.  And for two reasons:

1) The bow on the left is mine.  And it definitely doesn't have the same type of ogum as the one to the right which I saw first hand where it is stored.

2) I contacted the Korean bow master who made mine, Master Kim-Gwan deok, and he said his product, again the one to the left, has a short ogum.

Really, if you look with a keen eye, you should be able to see the difference.

Thumbs up