51 (edited by JGH 2020-12-08 18:38:59)

Re: Which bow to Beginn KTA

Might be true for Hwarang/YMG but I have seen both Kaya and HMG offered in RH and LH on a korean website. On the HMG page they explain that they offer bows with sideways tiller.... but their export models like Daylite, Nomad and White Feather seem to be ambidextrous.....

Thumbs up

JGH wrote:

Might be true for Hwarang/YMG but I have seen both Kaya and HMG offered in RH and LH on a korean website. On the HMG page they explain that they offer bows with sideways tiller.... but their export models like Daylite, Nomad and White Feather seem to be ambidextrous.....

Per bluelake's/Thomas' post, he claims it applies to none of the laminates and that YMG claimed no such thing applies to any laminates regardless of maker.

Yes, I've seen that too over Freddie Archery regarding dexterity.  They also include that option for the YMG's as well.  When I asked the people over at Freddie Archery about 'Korean Tiller' though while explaining the concept to them, they appeared to have no idea what I was talking about.

What HMG page are you talking about that claims they offer bows with sideways tiller?

Thumbs up

I did not see that at Freddies page, but on HMGs.... don't want to post that link here though, and it's only korean language translated by google..... Freddy does sell arrow rests, maybe thats why they offer RH/LH don't think that they offer different tiller versions...

Thumbs up

54 (edited by geoarcher 2020-12-09 02:26:34)

JGH wrote:

... don't want to post that link here though, and it's only korean language translated by google.....

So what?  This is a Korean archery forum.  Besides I'd like to see the HMG site.  Never saw it before.  Post the link.

JGH wrote:

Freddy does sell arrow rests, maybe thats why they offer RH/LH don't think that they offer different tiller versions...

Arrow rests wouldn't explain that since the YMG and many others have the RH/LH option beside them to check off.  You have to buy that item separate anyway I'm sure:

http://www.koreanbow.com/shop/index.php … ;id_lang=1

Thumbs up

My YMG has an arrow pass (chuljeonpi) only on the right side.  I assume that means it is a RH bow.

Thumbs up

ShinLa wrote:

My YMG has an arrow pass (chuljeonpi) only on the right side.  I assume that means it is a RH bow.

Did you get it over Koreanbows?  I wasn't too sure if they were equiping bows anymore with chuljeonpi or if that option referred to something else.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:
ShinLa wrote:

Did you get it over Koreanbows?  I wasn't too sure if they were equiping bows anymore with chuljeonpi or if that option referred to something else.

Yes, the bow is from Koreabows but the arrow pass isn't the same one they sell separately.

Thumbs up

ShinLa wrote:
geoarcher wrote:
ShinLa wrote:

Yes, the bow is from Koreabows but the arrow pass isn't the same one they sell separately.

Ok.  Yeah I notice they sell a 2 pack of chuljeonpi in the accessories section.  And then also an 'arrow rest' product.  I wasn't too sure though if the RH/LH option was actually referring to the Korean Tiller concept.  I suspect this option on other web sites likewise does not refer to 'Korean Tiller'.

Thumbs up

59 (edited by ShinLa 2020-12-09 15:28:30)

Ok.  Yeah I notice they sell a 2 pack of chuljeonpi in the accessories section.  And then also an 'arrow rest' product.  I wasn't too sure though if the RH/LH option was actually referring to the Korean Tiller concept.  I suspect this option on other web sites likewise does not refer to 'Korean Tiller'.

Just to clarify, There wasn't a LH or RH option when ordering the YMG.  It just came with a small, thin chuljeonpi on the right side of the bow.  As to "Korean Tiller", when braced the string is centered on the lower limb and slightly to the right on the upper.  I assumed that to be within manufacturing tolerance but it could also be "Korean Tiller" if such a thing exists.

Correction; I just checked and there is a LH or RH description for the YMG sold by KoreaBow.

Thumbs up

60 (edited by geoarcher 2020-12-09 15:33:11)

ShinLa wrote:

Just to clarify, There wasn't a LH or RH option when ordering the YMG.  It just came with a small, thin chuljeonpi on the right side of the bow.  As to "Korean Tiller", when braced the string is centered on the lower limb and slightly to the right on the upper.  I assumed that to be within manufacturing tolerance but it could also be "Korean Tiller" if such a thing exists.

Correction; I just checked and there is a LH or RH description for the YMG sold by KoreaBow.

Right, and I was going to ask you how long ago did you order.  How did they know to equip your bow with a right side arrow pass?  Did it come like that by default?

Also, did you check for a Korean tiller before you started shooting it?  According to that one thread by bluelake, often times a right or left tilt will set in on the laminates based on how the bow is shot by the user.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:
ShinLa wrote:

Right, and I was going to ask you how long ago did you order.  How did they know to equip your bow with a right side arrow pass?  Did it come like that by default?

Also, did you check for a Korean tiller before you started shooting it?  According to that one thread by bluelake, often times a right or left tilt will set in on the laminates based on how the bow is shot by the user.

I ordered in the Spring this year and didn't think to check for Korean tiller at first.  By the time I noticed, it could have been caused by how I shoot or how I string the bow.  If you look closely at the picture in the KoreaBow catalog you can see the arrow pass on the right side of the YMG.

Thumbs up

62 (edited by geoarcher 2020-12-10 02:55:35)

ShinLa wrote:

I ordered in the Spring this year and didn't think to check for Korean tiller at first.  By the time I noticed, it could have been caused by how I shoot or how I string the bow.  If you look closely at the picture in the KoreaBow catalog you can see the arrow pass on the right side of the YMG.

Yeah, and from my buying experience over at Koreanbows, I ordered the HMG in Spring 2014 but back then they did in fact have a RH and LH option for it.  I assumed back then that it referred to the arrow pass designation and so I chose RH and received my HMG with a RH arrow pass.  I should note that I have noticed my HMG having an upper limb tilt to the right.  But I have only just noticed this.  So my account and experience with Koreanbows.com cannot prove the Korean tiller concept for laminates either.  I will however reiterate that when you ask Koreanbows.com about the concept, they have no awareness of it.  I'm more inclined to believe that manufacturers would have made Koreanbows.com aware about Korean tiller if its an actual order option for laminates.  Also, the YMGs are listed over at koreanbows.com as either RH or LH:

http://www.koreanbow.com/shop/index.php … ;id_lang=1

Would further seem to rule against a 'Korean tiller' concept for laminates sold over at Koreanbows.com.

I just checked again bluelake's thread where he negates the concept.  He was told by SMG that 'Korean tiller' applies to laminates.  However, YMG (?) said that is erroneous.  Interestingly enough, SMG's site is not up anymore and they have no more of their bows up over at Koreanbows.  I asked bluelake what happened to them and he said he did not know.

Thumbs up

I'm going to switch how I string the bow from holding the upper limb with my right hand and the lower limb over my left leg to holding the upper limb with my left hand and the lower limb over my right leg.  By next Spring if the "Korean Tiller" moves the other way I'll know it's caused by I string the bow.  If the tiller doesn't change, it's caused by how I shoot or it came that way from YMG.  (Shooting left handed is not a good option for me.)

Thumbs up

64 (edited by geoarcher 2020-12-09 17:20:31)

ShinLa wrote:

I'm going to switch how I string the bow from holding the upper limb with my right hand and the lower limb over my left leg to holding the upper limb with my left hand and the lower limb over my right leg.  By next Spring if the "Korean Tiller" moves the other way I'll know it's caused by I string the bow.  If the tiller doesn't change, it's caused by how I shoot or it came that way from YMG.  (Shooting left handed is not a good option for me.)

At this point,  I think in order to somewhat more effectively prove the Korean tiller concept for the laminates, you would have to carefully string and inspect the bow upon initially receiving it.  Pull it back facing a mirror.  See what it tells you.  Because, yes, reverse pressure will take the tilt out anyway.  bluelake also makes note of that on the thread I keep referencing.

I will also throw this out here: there is a possibility that a laminate bow coming with a tilt to the left or right may be passed off by a manufacturer as acceptable.  But in reality, no such tilt for a laminate should be there.  Hate to think that way but it needs to be thrown out here given some of the circumstances I noted above.

I will also say that based on my knowledge of materials such as that of traditional horn, wood, and sinew gak-gung vs the rigidness of laminate gungs, I somewhat doubt that any laminate is meant to tolerate a set in tilt by the manufacture due to the very rigid, very consistent nature of fiber glass. 

But I'm just thinking critically at this point.

Thumbs up

I'm hoping that my step through method of stringing the bow is the cause of the RH tiller and that by reversing step through sides I can reverse the tiller.  If so, once I regain neutral tiller, it can be maintained by alternating step through stringing sides from then on.

Thumbs up

66 (edited by geoarcher 2020-12-09 18:12:44)

ShinLa wrote:

I'm hoping that my step through method of stringing the bow is the cause of the RH tiller....

I'd wager to say that is what is causing your rightward leaning limb tilt.  Either that or just constant right hand draw use in general.  You could perhaps experiment with a myriad of ways to correct using pressure but what you've proposed sounds like a good start.

Thumbs up

I havent read all the replies, but i know the 53" monarq has a max draw of 34" seemingly up to atleast 50#. The draw weight is measured at 31". Having a max draw of 34" would equate to a nice smooth draw at your favored 32". With presumably no stacking at 32". Just my 2 scents.

Thumbs up

Seems the discussion is going on, I hope it's ok for bluelake if I post that here. But others are also well known. I try to find later the post, where they explain RH/LH bows. Use google translate....

Producer of HMG, Nomad, Daylite, White Feather etc:

http://skybowsports.com/

Thumbs up

https://smartstore.naver.com/skyarchery … NT_CONTENT

Here in their shop is the answer to RH/LH

Thumbs up

JGH wrote:

Seems the discussion is going on, I hope it's ok for bluelake if I post that here. But others are also well known. I try to find later the post, where they explain RH/LH bows. Use google translate....

JGH wrote:

Thanks but where exactly on these pages does it explain that HMG bows have a 'Korean tiller' set in on them?

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:
JGH wrote:

The second link is their Naver online store, where people can ask questions on the products. I think in the second or 3rd question is about RH vs LH where Sky explains that they are different...

JGH wrote:

Thanks but where exactly on these pages does it explain that HMG bows have a 'Korean tiller' set in on them?

Thumbs up

On their homepage is also a section on how to shoot a korean bow. Does not translate easily into my language, don't know if the english translation by google is a bit easier to understand...

Thumbs up

You can also have a look in their shop. You can choose the bow length from 44 to 53", and biw weight in 1lbs steps plus RH/LH...

Thumbs up

Well this what translates on their homepage into English:

Hello, We sincerely thank our customers for visiting Sky Sports (Hyunmu Palace) (Hyunmu Arrow).
Haneul Sports (Hyunmugung) (Hyunmu Arrow) was established based on 20 years of experience and know-how in archery and archery production. We specialize in producing and selling carbon bows.
Sky Sports will always devote itself to the development of archery to provide the best bows suitable for each archer's taste and body shape with excellent elasticity and flexibility, and excellent performance.
Thank you.

Don't see anything explicity talking about 'Korean tiller' or how the upper limb tilts in on direction or the other.  I'm not noticing the RH/LH thing in the shop section either but as I discussed with Shinla, it most likely pertains to arrow pass orientation.

Anyway, at this point I'd love to order directly off their site.  I really like how they finish the bow with wrapping and covering.  Looks nicer than what Koreanbows does with with the HMG/Nomad (really annoying covering).

Have you ordered from them direct or had success communicating with them?

Thumbs up

No, I only found that page. If you look closer you will find that they offer 3 tyoes of bows in Korea. If you write them it would be great to get more infos...

Thumbs up