1 (edited by raven 2022-02-12 21:43:38)

Topic: Korean bow origins

In Korea their resides a statue of a Korean an archer on horseback with a representation of a Korean bow that looks more like a step horseman bow than the Korean traditional bow we know today.
(Which in my humble opinion is the far superior bow)

Given that the statue resides in Korea-it’s curious to me that it does not more closely resemble the KTB as we know it today?

Does anybody have any insights into why that boat would be depicted in such a way?

It appears that everything else was meticulously planned clothing etc. It’s curious to me that the bow would have been haphazardly put together when creating the statue.

Which brings me to another question.
What are the oldest depictions, artist renderings, examples of the Korean traditional bow that we know today?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thumbs up

2 (edited by raven 2022-02-12 21:43:55)

Re: Korean bow origins

For some reason the image that I tried to attach to the prior message is not showing. I’ll try to provide a link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url … kDegQIARAt

Thumbs up

Today's commonly sold Korean bow is essentially the "civilian" type developed in about the 1500s if not a bit later from what I've heard.  Oldest depictions ancestral to the horn composite type of the Korean penninsula and therefore Koreanic people I also guess  can be seen with the mounted archers on the Goguryeo tombs.

Can't see the image from the link for some reason.

Thumbs up

Oh wait I see the pic now.  Yeah its entirely possible that it could be accurate for whatever period is being depicted on the statute of the mounted archer.  I don't think a singular bow type existed per se to any culture 100%.  For instance, it seems the Mongols had varying degrees of their bows.  On the other hand it could be a mistake but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this is a bow type not frequently talked about internationally that relates to Koreanic people.  Not everything seems to get published for international consumption among some of these countries especially given the somewhat esoteric reach and nature of the subject at hand.

Thumbs up

5 (edited by raven 2022-02-13 00:35:01)

I was able to see the long siyahs on the tombs of Goguryeo.
It would be interesting to see when transition was made and the reasoning behind it.

geoarcher wrote:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this is a bow type not frequently talked about internationally that relates to Koreanic people.  Not everything seems to get published for international consumption among some of these countries especially given the somewhat esoteric reach and nature of the subject at hand.

When you say esoteric are you referring to Taoism? Dr Duvernay could possibly shed some light on that subject?

Thumbs up

raven wrote:

When you say esoteric are you referring to Taoism? Dr Duvernay could possibly shed some light on that subject?

No.  I was referring to KTA.  Esoteric means 'knowledge limited to a few'.  I wouldn't consider the knowledge of KTA super widespread outside of Korea for a number of reasons.  Therefore, all the little details about differing bow types and what not throughout KTA's history are probably not going to make it outside of the country for the international community to know about.  That's what I was getting at.

Thumbs up

The statue you referenced is at the tollgate of the city of Gyeongju, a city I lived in for many years. I used it to open my video on horn bows over a quarter-century ago. There really aren't any bows from the Three Kingdoms still in existence, so modern ideas about them come from drawings about the time period and artists' imaginations.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

I used it to open my video on horn bows over a quarter-century ago.

Is it possible to purchase your horn bow video from you somehow?

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:
bluelake wrote:

I stopped making DVD copies of it a couple of years ago when my DVD copier malfunctioned. Also, since the beginning of the pandemic, Korea has made shipping things out of Korea expensive and a bit more complicated...

Still, I'll think about it.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
geoarcher wrote:
bluelake wrote:

I stopped making DVD copies of it a couple of years ago when my DVD copier malfunctioned. Also, since the beginning of the pandemic, Korea has made shipping things out of Korea expensive and a bit more complicated...

Still, I'll think about it.

Getting it up on Amazon through their publishing capabilities would probably be your best bet.  I purchased the  "How-to" Construct The Asiatic Composite Bow that way.  I think you just submit whatever digital file format you have the video in, and can even design a cover through their self publishing services.  They do all the rest.

Thumbs up