Topic: Korean archery & Japanese ocupation?

I am curious to know something of the history of how Korean archery was treated, if at all,  by the Japanese ocupation (1910-1945). Was it repressed like most aspects of Korean culture or not? And how was it practiced under what must have been very dire conditions?

Thumbs up

Re: Korean archery & Japanese ocupation?

When I asked that same question many years ago, I was told that, except for the WWII years, it continued on.  When the war finished, it came back.  One old timer told me there were rule differences, such as the target could not face be in the east, as that is where the emperor was; also, the target arrow of the time, the yuyeopjeon, did not have a sharp point (it reminds me of the head of a pop rivet), but I believe they were around before Korea's annexation.  Korea's most famous text on traditional archery, Joseoneui Gungsul (The Art of the Korean Bow), was published during the Japanese occupation.  gungsul was an old name for Korean traditional archery; it was replaced during the Japanese occupation with gungdo, which means, "The Way of the Bow"--the same Chinese characters as Japanese kyudo.  Many Korean archers do not like that name, due to its Japanese association; they prefer either gukgung (national archery) or hwalssogi, which is a pure Korean term (no Chinese characters), which means "bow shooting".  Some Korean and Korean-style archers--myself included--have no problem with the term gungdo (My personal e-mail address starts with "goongdo").  Still, gungsul implies archery is an art (which is a part of it, but not the whole thing) and gungdo implies technique, which is also a part of it, but not the whole thing.  Gukgung is, as mentioned, "national archery", but what happens when you are in another country?  That country's trad archery is now the "national archery".  That leaves hwalssogi, which is Korean in every sense of the word.

Thumbs up

Thanks. It is very understandable that many Koreans do not like the name gungdo as that was part of a much greater cultural threat; the attempt to eradicate the Korean language and scripture and replace it with the Japanese one.

Is there any information as to how Korean archery has done in the North or has it not survived there?

Thumbs up

I have heard a few scattered accounts.  According to them, trad archery is practiced somewhat by some military units.  However, I do not have any first-hand knowledge.  Several years ago, I talked with Stephen Selby about the idea of trying to put on a joint North-South trad archery friendly competition (Kind of a "Shooting for Peace" idea); however, it didn't get very far due to the trad archery situation in the North being relatively unknown.  At the time, Stephen was going to try to talk with the NK consul, or somebody, in HK, but I don't think anything ever became of it.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Several years ago, I talked with Stephen Selby about the idea of trying to put on a joint North-South trad archery friendly competition (Kind of a "Shooting for Peace" idea); however, it didn't get very far due to the trad archery situation in the North being relatively unknown.  At the time, Stephen was going to try to talk with the NK consul, or somebody, in HK, but I don't think anything ever became of it.

That last was a great idea and would have been a most interesting event!!!

Even speculating from just hear say that some military units do in fact still practice is fascinating enough as that would necessarily entail a lot of traditional bow makers being still around in the north. Would their bows look exactly as those traditional ones in the South?  How would they differ?

Or perhaps, deception, they stock up by secretly buying all the hawarang bows, and similar, they can get. big_smile

Thumbs up

Although it's possible there might be a traditional bowyer or two left in the North, something tells me they wouldn't have survived well under the stalinist rules there.  If there are any left, you would probably find them in a place like Gaeseong, which is just over the northwest border from South Korea; that city was the center of the northern-style horn bows in Korea (Yecheon, in my province of Gyeongsangbukdo, was--and still is--the center of southern-style horn bows). 

My guess is that they use whatever bows they can get ahold of.  The NK Olympic archers use imported recurves, so I don't think there is a great archery industry up there.

As for Hwarangs--they might have gotten some if they bought out the inventory from the movie Alexander, as the bows used in it were, basically, stripped-down Hwarangs.  smile

Thumbs up

Very interesting about archery in the North-it was a topic I wanted to know more about because of what happened to traditional Chinese archery during the "Cultural Revolution" I was wondering if the same thing happened there.

Thumbs up

It's a possibility, but I doubt many people outside of NK know for sure.  However, I think it is quite likely.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Gaeseong, which is just over the northwest border from South Korea; that city was the center of the northern-style horn bows in Korea

How did that bow differ?

Thumbs up

According to what I've been told, Northern bows typically had narrower limbs than the Southern bows; they were faster, but less stable and broke more often. Supposedly, some SK bowyers adhere to that style of bowmaking (either they or their masters were from that area).

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

According to what I've been told, Northern bows typically had narrower limbs than the Southern bows; they were faster, but less stable and broke more often.

....incredible, an even more delicate bow!?

This would indicate, it would seem, that the bow that has survived to the present is no war-bow but very much a refined aristocratic-sport bow and intentionally so.

Are there examples of sturdier military bows in museums or collections and if so how do they differ?

Thumbs up

The problem being, I wouldn't really trust even Korean history experts on what some things really are.  For example, there is a Chinese strength bow in the Korean War Memorial, but the people there say it is Korean and something totally different.  When I said what it really was, I was contradicted; I decided to not say anything more on the matter.

Thumbs up