1 (edited by WarBow 2011-11-06 03:37:35)

Topic: Replica of Korean Military Bow

Has any of the Korean bowyers made replicas of Korean military bows?

Thumbs up

Re: Replica of Korean Military Bow

My old bowyer friend, now paralyzed, made two types of historic bows, but not one like I think you are talking about.  He made two mokgung and one yegung (which might have contributed to his physical problem).

Thumbs up

Thomas, Ive read that the Korean horn bows were finicky, so that regular wood/bamboo was why was used for warfare and hunting? Is this correct? If so, then the horn bows were used exclusively for the jung or? It was confusing when I read it... I have a copy of dr.graysons book and I believe that was mentioned there too?

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

My old bowyer friend, now paralyzed, made two types of historic bows, but not one like I think you are talking about.  He made two mokgung and one yegung (which might have contributed to his physical problem).

How did making those wooden bows affect his health? Is there anything in the process that is particularly dangerous?

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Thomas, Ive read that the Korean horn bows were finicky, so that regular wood/bamboo was why was used for warfare and hunting? Is this correct? If so, then the horn bows were used exclusively for the jung or? It was confusing when I read it... I have a copy of dr.graysons book and I believe that was mentioned there too?

It's inconceivable that the average Korean foot archer would have used a horn bow.  The reason is very simple--just like today, they were very expensive and would have been far out of the price range that an average archer could afford.  That is why, more likely, archers in Korea used simpler bows made either out of bamboo or selfbows.  The horn bow would have been a status symbol, used by those with power and money (like officers and elite soldiers).

Thumbs up

Tawfiq Ibrahim wrote:
bluelake wrote:

How did making those wooden bows affect his health? Is there anything in the process that is particularly dangerous?

There was a lot of stress (both mental and physical).  I remember that soon after he completed the yegung, he had to stop making bows altogether for a while, as his muscles were very strained (as were his nerves).

Thumbs up

Thomas, have you had a chance to draw the reproduction wood bow?  If you had the chance, was the draw smooth?

Thumbs up

No.  Once, the bowyer braced it, but it has never been drawn.

T

Thumbs up