Re: Kaya KTB Bow First Look...

Now, I think this is ready to go hunting... Or face an army of chinese and japanese soldiers and fling some bamboo arrows at them in battle off my imaginary horse... That may not happen, but this baby is going hunting with me sometime this fall... This is a korean bow blinged out, by yours truly.

Thumbs up

A very nice project indeed,  even though the "girl" is a bit too furry for my taste.

Maybe the white tips might stick out being too visible in a hunting situation the same way that the white part of the hunters eyes scares off prey like waving a white flag.

Just my humble thoughts.

Thumbs up

Yeah it is furry... It looks alive now, it has a soul. I'm going to give it to my son someday. As for the white, it won't matter. Don't you hunt? You should know that the wind direction and the stalk will be much more important than anything else for a hunt. I could be wearing a prom dress, if I dont wait for the right moment to draw, it won't matter. I know. I've caught deer in white t-shirts and jeans before. Doesn't matter much, the movement is what matters.

Thumbs up

Trident have you shoot the bow since dressing her up?  I was just wondering if the added weight on the limbs has done anything to performance.  Please let us know.

Thumbs up

Trident

Yes, I hunt.  You are right.  Deer are colour blind, and rely on scent, sound and visible movement to locate / identify predators.

I doubt that I could catch a fox while wearing a white t-shirt though and the Geese probably won't let me come within range in one either.

But maybe that's just me.  smile

Thumbs up

Definitely not! I don't hunt in t shirt and jeans, but there have been the occasional moments where I was not expecting to encounter game and have not spooked any with my gear. Did you get your bow yet? What do you think of it? I shot my bow today and it shoots even better, kind of like how your car "feels" like it drives better after getting some upgrades, ha!

Thumbs up

My Kaya KTB 55#@30" arrived in Finland friday, just must pay customs, so i guess i have bow in my hands next week!  lol  yikes

This waiting is soooo annoying... sad

Thumbs up

You will love it and congrats a great starter bow.. Get a hwarang after that and there is no comparison

Thumbs up

Hannu I know what you mean my new Hwarang shipped last week and is sitting at customs here in the States. We probably will have to play air bow for a few more days but it is well worth the weight.

Thumbs up

jbl, thank God i have three other bows, so i can shoot them for few days...   big_smile

Thumbs up +1

The next task is to find 34" bamboo shafts to match the KTB  big_smile !

Thumbs up

Great to hear, Hannu & jbl!

Thumbs up

Bow is now tested.

Very light, lighter than my turkish bow, which is like a feather that too.

Handle was too big, when i shoot, i modified it but now it is too dark to shoot. Must try again tomorrow. I like small handle.

Aiming is hard, KTB is wider than my other bows, so arrows hit right, also my arrows spine is not right. Must get new arrows.

Very fast and light bow.  55#@30" is easy to draw over 30", need longer arrows... smile 

Light bow otherwise needs perfect technique, so it is harder to shoot than my 70# turkish...

Is this bow fastflight compatible or should i use dacron instead? I have friend who make strings, so i might ask him for spare string.

Also this is very beautiful bow, piece of art.

Edit: And very much thanks to Thomas to make this possible. smile

Thumbs up

Hannu,
I'm using BCY 8125 on mine, several thousand shots with no damage, the string that comes with it is FastFlight

Thumbs up

zdogk9 wrote:

Hannu,
I'm using BCY 8125 on mine, several thousand shots with no damage, the string that comes with it is FastFlight

Ok, thanks.

Must ask to my friend to make one just for good measure...

Thumbs up

Hannu wrote:

Bow is now tested.

Very light, lighter than my turkish bow, which is like a feather that too.

Handle was too big, when i shoot, i modified it but now it is too dark to shoot. Must try again tomorrow. I like small handle.

Aiming is hard, KTB is wider than my other bows, so arrows hit right, also my arrows spine is not right. Must get new arrows.

Very fast and light bow.  55#@30" is easy to draw over 30", need longer arrows... smile 

Light bow otherwise needs perfect technique, so it is harder to shoot than my 70# turkish...

Is this bow fastflight compatible or should i use dacron instead? I have friend who make strings, so i might ask him for spare string.

Also this is very beautiful bow, piece of art.

Edit: And very much thanks to Thomas to make this possible. smile

You're welcome, Hannu!  I'm glad you were able to modify the handle to your liking.  I purposely left it easy to take the wrap off for that reason; Kaya had sent a bow the way they would send to someone here in Korea (do-it-yourself handle forming), which they apologized for.

Thumbs up

Any updates Hannu.  Will you make yourself some long bamboo arrows (34")?   big_smile

Thumbs up

Well, now i have two training sessions behind.

Very demanding bow.

All the other bows i can just shoot. But KTB throws arrows always right side of target.  hmm
Don´t know if it is because of arrows (Easton Powerflight 500 full lenght), they work on other bows, or is this bow wider?

I have now Powerflights spined 400, just have to glue feathers and  i can test...

But must keep practising...  smile

Thumbs up

By the way, what might be right brace lenght? That may cause problems too...

It must be very small, or else i have too long string. If i twist it, it starts to twist on loops and then it starts to twist to whole bow.  sad

Hope you realize what i am trying to say...  tongue

Thumbs up

Hannu,

The brace height for Korean bows is usually around 5-1/2" (~14cm).

There can be different reasons why the arrows are going wide, including too stiff arrows, incorrect nocking point, form, etc.

T

Thumbs up

Thomas,

Thanks, just must keep practising and try with other arrows. Form may need some tuning...

Also lighter bow needs better technique. I had Samick SKB, and same thing whit it, can´t just take and shoot...

Speed of this Kaya bow is amazing, as fast as my turkish bow which is 70#@28"... yikes

Thumbs up

Well, i think the brace heigtht is now right (~14cm) and form is good.
Must remember NOT to grasp the handle, just grip it like you would hold a egg...  tongue

Distance ~15 meters
http://i11.aijaa.com/b/00428/9081548.jpg

Thumbs up

Great job!  One thing on grip to remember, also, is to hold it diagonally in your hand with the bottom of the grip digging into the heel of your palm.  Then you wrap your fingers around, starting with the pinky and work your way up to the index finger and ending with the thumb at a kind of right angle to them.

Thumbs up

I too have this problem and the angle of deviation to the right side was much worse than that shown in your photo.  After more readings, I rotated the bow slightly counter clockwise (diagonally) in relation to the web of my bow hand.  Also, I took up Thomas's suggestion of holding the bow with bulk of the pressure at the heel of the palm and then apply fingers around the bow handle.  The thumb tip and the index finger tip touch each other and form a small area where the arrow can rest.  I also swapped out the original 75 grains field points with 100 grain ones.  The arrows travel a lot straighter as a result but still go a bit to the right.

Hannu wrote:

Well, i think the brace heigtht is now right (~14cm) and form is good.
Must remember NOT to grasp the handle, just grip it like you would hold a egg...  tongue

Distance ~15 meters
http://i11.aijaa.com/b/00428/9081548.jpg

Thumbs up

Hannu, the KTB's real potential is at 34" draw  big_smile .  The arrow goes like lightning.

Thumbs up