Topic: Aiming

Probably, the most common question I receive from people about thumb ring shooting is how to aim.  Please post your experience on this issue.

Thumbs up

Re: Aiming

I am still pondering this question myself, Thomas. Even with my other bows, shooting off fingers, anything less than 30m was instinctive. I am finding things pretty similar at the moment with thumb release. At first my arrows were way off to the right, now as my technique improves they are grouping. Though I've not had much opportunity to shoot more than medium distances at present, I'm sure it will be the arrow point on some part of the target face. I've never had much luck lining up parts of the bow or limb, etc on the target, as soon as I try this my shooting deteriorates.
As for 145m, I'd love to give that a go.

Thumbs up

To me, it's all about practice, repetition, brain memory and instinct. After 20 years plus of successful instinctive mediterranean release, I decided to try the thumb release a few years ago. At first, everything was inconsistent. My brain was adjusted for a solid anchor in my face, 3 fingers release, etc. It took me about a year or more to readjust to the new system. Before, I never thought I could be as accurate with the thumb. Now, I don't use my 3 fingers too much and when I do it, it feels strange.
How do I aim? I think it's a feeling more than a sight picture. I cant the bow slightly and I aim through the limb and handle. At long distance I do it through my hand, so that's the proof it's instinctive. Hard to explain but when I do it it's clear and natural.

Thumbs up

José wrote:

How do I aim? I think it's a feeling more than a sight picture. I cant the bow slightly and I aim through the limb and handle. At long distance I do it through my hand, so that's the proof it's instinctive. Hard to explain but when I do it it's clear and natural.

I understand you, sounds the same as my aiming.

Thumbs up

First post, go easy on me smile

I've experienced a bit of a quandry when it comes to aiming, shooting with a thumb ring. ~HUN~  has brought me into the light and introduced me to this style of shooting and Korean archery which I am really enjoying, leaving behind my Hoyt recurve to gather dust ( I could sell and order a Hwarang...hmmmm ).

It has been a total reintroduction to archery as the style is so different and feels a lot more natural that the rigid form of modern recurve archery, but I have had a lot of bad habits transfer over, stance, anchor etc but mostly in aiming. The recurve has imbued in me the need for a consistent aiming point that I can place on the target time and time again but the more I try this, the less it works.

However when I abandon this, and just 'feel' the shot, it works a lot better. I maintain focus on the target, draw the bow as smoothly as possible and then settle into the shot. When it feels right, off it goes and the results are always far better than deliberately aiming. I can honestly say when I do this, I am not deliberately aiming at all just staring down the gold.

Thumbs up

I am also using instinctive shooting techniques, no special aiming.
But I am also using the same technique with my longbows...

Thumbs up

How are you keeping the nocking point consistent?  Brass nock?  Tie-in nock?  I know it's probably heresy but anyone try shooting with a release?

Thumbs up

Artemiz wrote:

How are you keeping the nocking point consistent?  Brass nock?  Tie-in nock?  I know it's probably heresy but anyone try shooting with a release?

In Korean trad, the nocking point is typically found by balancing the bow on the edge of one's hand (usually at the bottom of the center serving) and then flattening the hand up the serving; where your pinky finger is is usually where the nocking point will be.  Of course, hand sizes vary and such, but that is the traditional way.  As for a nocking point, sometimes it will just be marked on with a permanent marker.  If the serving is too thin for the arrow nock, serving string or even floss is often wrapped around to make a nocking point.

Thumbs up +1

Hello everyone,

It's been a while now shooting the Kaya and my arrows are still hitting very far to the right of where I expect the shot to hit unless I cant the bow clockwise quite a bit.  Even then, my shots tend to hit to the right and I have to aim farther up than compared to my Mediterranean draw.

I seem to hear a bit of riser slap from the arrow as the string moves around the thumb and index finger but I am going to try torquing the bow hand counter-clockwise a bit to see if that helps (although this goes against every fiber of my training while shooting my compound!)

I shot through paper and at 10 yards, while canting the bow w/ a Med. draw, the arrow is shooting bullet holes so I know the spine is probably not the issue.

Thoughts anyone?

Thumbs up

Torquing the bow handle CCW a bit--that should help.

Thumbs up

I had the same trouble when I was holding the grip in "european style", I mean like  a longbow. Now I hold the grip inline with my thumb, and the bow makes a 45° turn when I release, in that way the arrow turns around the grip without hitting it.
For sure someone can post a video showing the proper way to hold the grip and how the bow slightly turns during the release.

Thumbs up

12 (edited by Artemiz 2010-11-21 08:25:01)

I've also started noticing that I get a bit of limb twist on the upper limb after I shoot for a while.  Seems like the string wants to rest a bit to the right of the string bridge?  Is this normal?

Thumbs up

You are using the tfingers release ,aren't you? I had the same result with the finger release, but straight with the thumb ring.

Thumbs up

I have been shoot with maguar and turkish bows with Mediterranean draw.

When i moved to thumbring, first arrows went right. But soon i started to hit.

I just look in the centre of target, draw and let go. If i start aiming, i miss.

i´m not canting the bow.

Nocking point is brass nock.

Thumbs up

15 (edited by nreeve 2011-08-10 09:39:50)

Hi,

I am just getting started with Korean archery and am struggling with consistent aiming. I have a Kaya KTB 30lb. First session I shot, the arrows were going wildly to the right. I had a feeling the arrows were too heavy that time so switched to carbon fibre arrows which was a vast improvement but the arrows are still going off to the right.

Are there any direct 'rules' for aiming with Korean style? I see from various photos and videos on the net that a lot of people have the string touching their chest and face at full draw. Is that generally how everything does it?

I felt that I had the arrow right under my eye and point of the arrow aiming at the target but it always goes to the right of where I feel it should. I am shooting at a short distance by the way.

Are regular carbon fibre arrows suitable with my Kaya KTB 30lb?

Many Thanks,
Nick

Thumbs up

Hi Nick--Welcome!

Aiming in KTA is one of the hardest things to describe, as it's very different from "Western" styles of shooting.  There are many aspects about it, with each being important.  First, make sure you have the proper grip; place the handle diagonal in your palm, with the thick end of the handle going into the heel of the palm, and wrap your fingers around the handle, one at a time, starting with the pinky and ending with the thumb.  Next, make sure the inside of your bow arm is parallel to the string and that you have about three fingers' distance between the string and your arm.  After that, make sure your stance is correct; a right-handed archer will place his left foot so that it points at the target and his right foot so that it is at about a 2 o'clock angle.  Drawing is important; push the bow at the same time you pull the string with power coming from the heel of your bow-arm palm--the string should be close to your body.  The actual aiming, itself, is hard to express, as it becomes natural and second-nature, but try placing your bow-arm fist on something in the distance to begin with, until you get a feel for where the arrows are going.  The release is important, too; just simply relax your draw-hand and let physics do the rest.

At 145m, the spine of the arrow isn't as crucial as in closer-distance types of shooting, as the paradox will work itself out over the distance.  Still, it is possible that the arrow may be forced to the right if you have an arrow that is too stiff.  Also, make sure you have the cock feather pointing away from the bow.  One more thing to pay attention to is the nocking point; it will be higher than in Western-styles of archery.

I'm sure there are other things, but check on these things first.

T

nreeve wrote:

Hi,

I am just getting started with Korean archery and am struggling with consistent aiming. I have a Kaya KTB 30lb. First session I shot, the arrows were going wildly to the right. I had a feeling the arrows were too heavy that time so switched to carbon fibre arrows which was a vast improvement but the arrows are still going off to the right.

Are there any direct 'rules' for aiming with Korean style? I see from various photos and videos on the net that a lot of people have the string touching their chest and face at full draw. Is that generally how everything does it?

I felt that I had the arrow right under my eye and point of the arrow aiming at the target but it always goes to the right of where I feel it should. I am shooting at a short distance by the way.

Are regular carbon fibre arrows suitable with my Kaya KTB 30lb?

Many Thanks,
Nick

Thumbs up

Hi bluelake,

Thanks a lot for the info.

I have made sure that I followed all of the points you have made in your reply and placed the nock on my bow in the position detailed in your book (which is fantastic by the way).

I feel that my technique is correct (obviously room for improvement) and am still struggling to get a consistent aim even at 20 metres. The arrows still seem to be veering off to the left. I guess I will continue to practice and hopefully I will improve.

It's frustrating because with a Western recurve bow I could hit the bullseye (yellow) at 20 metres more or less straight away but am still struggling to hit it at all with my Korean bow.

Any further tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

Thumbs up

I'm right handed so what I say will be referenced to that. Shooting off the left side of the bow  you will be sighting down the arrow which will follow your left index finger. When you point you naturally use your index finger unless you really don't like someone. Thing is shooting off the right side of the bow the arrow will probably go to where the left thumb is pointing which in my case is about 0.5m to the right of what I want to hit at 20 m. A couple of days ago I started concentrating on pointing my left thumb at my point of aim and things improved instantly. My misses, of which there are far fewer seem to be due to slipping back to using my left index finger as a reference when pointing at the target.
maybe this will work for someone else. Thanks for the forum, seems a good source.
Z

Thumbs up

Nick,

Chances are, it's a simple fix (most are).  The problem being, I'd have to see you shoot to make a more accurate determination.  If, sometime, you could have someone take a short video of you shooting, it might help.

T

Thumbs up

Thomas, you mentioned nocking point, what is a great fool proof way to find it? Also is it okay to put a small nocking point on the string to keep the arrow in place? Not sure if it was the nocks on my arrows but it kept sliding up and down the string and was hard to get consistent shot placement and release on my kaya ktb... My shots were off to the right. I'm sure my technique can be improved with practice but I dont want to get any bad habits. It's like if you are in korea and practice there, the techniques are for 145m shots, most of us outside of Korean can only shoot indoors most of time which is 20-40 yards on the average, I wonder if the aiming and technique is the same, you are probably used to aiming in the air to hit your 145m target and I'm aiming down my arrow and sight shooting close range...also I didn't have mug time lately to shoot the kaya ktb so I need to practice a lot more..

Thumbs up

Balance the bow by its string over your index finger. When it is centred, with fingers together, turn palm until little finger touches the string. This is your nocking point.

Thumbs up

The technique Hun mentioned is what we do in KTA for finding the nocking point.  Regarding putting something physical on the serving--archers here will often use floss, thin serving, thread, or even a tuft of cotton (the last one doesn't stay on long, needless to say).

As for sighting, it's hard to do in KTA, as the arrow is on the opposite side from finger shooting, so you can't barrel sight down the shaft.  Over time, it becomes muscle memory as to where you aim, and you won't think much about it, but you might want to start by using a part of your hand or bow as kind of a sight and place it on something in the distance; adjust it as necessary and, later, when muscle memory kicks in, go with that.

Thumbs up

Well it took me about 60 shots from 15m then 4@12m to finally hit a clementine orange tonight. My grouping was ok but I sure couldn't hit that dam orange.

Thumbs up

I am struggling to find a sight picture. Sometimes I see exactly where my arrow is going to go, but most of the time that is not the case. When shooting do you see your target on the arrow side or the other. Once I figure this out I think I should be able to start improving a lot faster than I am.

I am hitting about 30% from 18m with my KTB, yesterday I got frustrated and shot a few arrows with my recurve and hit about 85% so I know I have the ability to improve.

Thanks for any help!

Thumbs up