1 (edited by Trident 2011-09-12 03:17:07)

Topic: Kaya khan bow good for hunting?? First post, nice to meet everyone!

Hello fellow traditional korean style archers, Hwal bae um ni da!

This is my first post here, and im looking to learn as much as i can.. Upon reading information on the forum and mr. Duvernays website, i have placed an order for a kaya khan bow. I am a compound bow shooter/hunter for the past 10 years. I shoot mathews extreme z7 and drenanlin solo cam hunting bows and i am deadly Accurate with these tools.

I have been looking for a new challenge and was doing research when i stumbled upon the korean bows.. Wow, they look to be a potent punch in a compact package.. The lines of the long bow didnt do it for me, it looked like a spear with a stick alongside. And the recurve is well, recurve. This kaya khan bow, however had some sexy lines and seems like it has power to boot!

I have purchased the khan bow and hopefully will do a review on it. I will have to learn how to shoot all over again, as i dont have much experience with traditional style shooting but im eager to learn the art the right way, and possibly spread it here in New York. I asked around and nobody has much if any experience with asiatic or horse bows in general, so i will have to teach myself.

Wanted to know if any fellow forum members have had any success hunting deer and such with these bows? And with the khan bow in general?

Thumbs up

Re: Kaya khan bow good for hunting?? First post, nice to meet everyone!

I can't speak for the Kahn, but with my 50# KTB I just put a Carbon Express with a Bear broadhead through my target backer which is a gunny sack with a 20' X20' blue tarp folded inside, This was a complete pass through into the wood pile 20' beyond. Which it hit with considerable authority. The backer will stop field points. Total weight of arrow and head was 530 grains. distance was 20m.  So I'll be going out with mine this fall
Z

Thumbs up

3 (edited by Trident 2011-09-11 16:54:12)

So I picked up my Kaya Khan, and it is beautiful! Lightweight, and clean. 55# draw at 28", but I draw 29" so its probably 2 pounds or so more. I love the lines, and basically its a beautiful hybrid of a tradition korean horsebow, with a small shelf cutout for 3 finger draw which it does very nicely. Smooth draw, and POWERFUL... This baby was flinging 340gr carbon arrows with authority. Wouldn't think twice about its penetration capabilities up to 20 yards or more, as that is the only distance I have had the chance to shoot. It does not draw beyond 28-29 inches, it starts to stack a little after that. This bow wasn't meant for thumbring as you wouldn't be able to shoot it unless you got an opposite hand model, and I don't think the Bowyer ever meant this to be used with thumbring, ever. Which is fine with me for this design. It wasn't meant for thumbring draw, but I love the fact that Kaya has produced this model. It gives you the best of both worlds, in a small package. All the andvantages of the Korean Horse bow design, yes easy to shoot for those familiar to 3 finger draw or want to get into traditional shooting.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1728.jpg
Unstrung as it came from Korea. Was thinking how am I going to bend this?

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8196.jpg
Small Logo on bottom limb. Nice touch.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4523.jpg
Bow, strung up for the first time. Was kinda tricky because the limb kept slipping in my top hand as I wasn't used to it, but once you get the position down, you push and bend the limbs, its kinda unnerving I think, if you haven't handled these bows, because it is so slender I was amazed at how much flex the limbs could take, so smoothly.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7564.jpg
The grip. Its a nice thin piece of suede leather covering the handle. Its very nice, but will wear out with use, which is expected. I have big hands so I am going to put a rubber grip on it and see how it feels and shoots. If its ugly I am going to take it off, so Traditionalists, don't hate.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9477.jpg
Micarta on the ends of the limbs. I love the fact that they used black canvas micarta. Its barely noticeable, but a nice touch. This stuff is indestructible. Its canvas layers overlapped with epoxy so it is super tough and will never break. This gives the khan bow extra durability when traveling through the bush and stand up to a bit more abuse than normal while still maintaining the lines of the limb tips. Modern technology hidden on this still faithful to traditional lines, gem.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5631.jpg
Put some beaver fur silencers on the ends, wow... gives it a real "hunter" finishing touch, and just is beautiful. I don't want to put it down!

I've only shot this once so far, have been busy.. But this thing packs a punch is all I will say. I was really not expecting this type of bow to be so fast, and strong for its relatively light weight. I feel like I have a small wand in my hand until I'm ready to shoot, and this bow does its job and looks fantastic doing it from the side. It bends and feels very natural in the hand. The inherent korean horn bow design is something of amazement to me in my limited experience with traditional archery.

Have ordered a KTB so will do a review on that soon. Thanks for all the info and for this forum! Please share your experiences and post pics and stories! Thanks!

Thumbs up

Very nice looking profile on the bow both braced and unbraced.  There is something about the Korean bows that just says...SPEED.

Thumbs up

It doesn't just say speed this thing is a beast!! It is a hard hitting bow! Make no bones about it... They were not playing games when they designed this, anybody that has picked it up didn't want to put it down. I had about 6 guys try it out today at my local and they all loved it... I tried their long bows and that was cool too... But they all loved my khan and wanted to know who/what/where/how.... Oh yeah, I mentioned there was a little hand shock, that was the first time I shot it, today I shot it again, no hand shock. Think the beaver silencers helped a lot as there was no noise at all, and so did my release/form..Much better today...

Thumbs up

Not sure if I posted this before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2U_ZszNQLo

Thumbs up

Wow great video! I have seen this before thanks for the link... Yeah I didn't notice before but this is a kaya khan in the video he took that deer with... It's perfect for ground blinds because it's compact..

Thumbs up

Hmm, it looks like the KTB . . . ?

Trident wrote:

Wow great video! I have seen this before thanks for the link... Yeah I didn't notice before but this is a kaya khan in the video he took that deer with... It's perfect for ground blinds because it's compact..

Thumbs up

I saw the video a couple more times and saw that it looks like a Khan? This guy shoots off of 3 fingers. The arrow completely penetrated that buck with no problem. Just amazing. Some long bows and recurves I've seen couldn't penetrate like that. Heavy arrows and close range = penetration

Thumbs up

Trident,

According to Randy ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2U_ZszNQLo ), he got the bow from 3RiversArchery.  I checked out 3RiversArchery and it does not have the Khan in its catalogue.  Furthermore, the Korean bow in the video has string bridges and the Khan does not.  In fact, the bow in the video has no arrow window.  Therefore, we can quite conclusively say that the bow in question is a KTB.

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

I saw the video a couple more times and saw that its a Khan.... This guy shoots off of 3 fingers. The arrow completely penetrated that buck with no problem. Just amazing. Some long bows and recurves I've seen couldn't penetrate like that. Heavy arrows and close range = penetration

I have seen some compoundbow videos, and i think Khan/KTB(?) penetrated similar way, so there is a lot of energy... yikes

So i can easy take KTB (when i get it tongue ) for hunting, my longbow stay on wall decoration... big_smile

And if he shoots 3 fingers, what is draw lenght? It is only 50# bow! Very amazing.

Thumbs up

Hannu,

Even with three-finger draw to 30", the KTB can push a 32" 2219 fatboy at considerable zip.  Imagine using the thumb draw to fully utilize the KTB's 35" draw capability!

Thumbs up

Has anyone gone the extra mile and took the time to measure the peak draw weight of the Khan from 28" to 31" or even at 32"?

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Has anyone gone the extra mile and took the time to measure the peak draw weight of the Khan from 28" to 31" or even at 32"?

And / or the energy (joule) produced by the bow using different arrow weights at specific draw weight / length..

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Trident,

According to Randy ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2U_ZszNQLo ), he got the bow from 3RiversArchery.  I checked out 3RiversArchery and it does not have the Khan in its catalogue.  Furthermore, the Korean bow in the video has string bridges and the Khan does not.  In fact, the bow in the video has no arrow window.  Therefore, we can quite conclusively say that the bow in question is a KTB.

Warbow, I checked again, and I was wrong it does not have an arrow shelf. I thought I saw one there, but the bow was shiny on the limbs like the khan, and he changed the grip so it looked like the khan... He does reply on the bottom of his video that it is the Kaya KTB bow, so you are correct. He must have done some customizing to his Kaya bow as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumbs up

No problem there Trident  smile .  Randy's KTB might be an older model that is still in stock at 3RiversArchery.  The older model does not have that fashoin-bag fabric layer.

Trident wrote:
WarBow wrote:

Trident,

Warbow, I checked again, and I was wrong it does not have an arrow shelf. I thought I saw one there, but the bow was shiny on the limbs like the khan, and he changed the grip so it looked like the khan... He does reply on the bottom of his video that it is the Kaya KTB bow, so you are correct. He must have done some customizing to his Kaya bow as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumbs up

Warbow, I wasn't aware there was an older model.... That explains it!
The KTB is a great beginners bow with the starting price, but the quality and smoothness doesn't compare with my Hwarang, not even in the same zip code... Hence beginners bow.

Still figuring out how I'm gonna dress this baby up.... I have a sugakji (male thumbring) and it totally helps the draw, but still swells my thumb at the joint after a session, I guess I have to build up those calluses...  I would not want to be poked in the eye by a korean archer, they can probably break bricks with their thumbs, I have broken wooden boards with my fingertips, but that was a long time ago..

I see that in korea when they shoot they shoot in a line, with a few minutes in between each shot, I'm shooting at a rate of about 18 arrows each minute, one after another, Haha... maybe thats why. When I rest for a few mins, the pressure goes away again... I notice that at 20 yards, with the fuller draw it is just a powerhouse, this bow was meant for long distance hits, and it shows.. at the shorter distances it just goes through my bag target like a hot knife through butter... I have to get a heavier target, as I had a few go through my morrel bag target into my backstop (shed), LOL!

I will say that the center serving did come apart, and I have to re-serve the string, but other than that, its been smooth sailing.

I have to mention that the hwarang although its a heavier  poundage draw feels lighter at full draw than the Kaya KTB..

Thumbs up

The Hwarang uses phenolic in combination with carbon and fiberglass.  Hence it feels lighter at longer draw length compared to KTB's carbon and fiberglass lamination.  If you have the horn version of the Hwarang, the draw feels even smoother and lighter.

If you are interested, order a biocomposite bow from Grozer.  It's the closest thing to real horn/sinew bow.  The draw is so smooth and soft.  No man-made material comes close.

Thumbs up

Warbow, there was a horn version of the hwarang? First time I heard.. Will take a look at the grozer, I just want to feel what the old school Korean horn bow feels like, I'm surrounded by my fellow archers that shoot olympic to my left, compound bow hunters and competitors to my right, and a few traditonal recurve and long bow guys mixed in, talk about a melting pot! These guys don't even know what a stick bow looks like let alone shot one, and I'm here looking for the "truth" and having a lot of fun with archery lately practicing the different disciplines... Especially traditional.. It's very humbling...

Thumbs up

Yes Trident, there is a horn version but it is not a true horn/sinew composite bow.

Thumbs up

Okay folks, I sent a message to Randy and got a reply.  He has a 26" draw and uses the three-finger draw!  Imagine a big dude like Eugen who has a draw of at least 33" and able to pull 90+# - we are talking about a clean pass through!!!

Thumbs up

22 (edited by jbl 2011-10-04 01:59:29)

A Composite horn bow is the ultimate in bowyers craft.  There is nothing like the feel in your hand including a selfbow.  They do come with a price monetary and time-you need to know how to brace, balance, and let the bow acclimate to the climate.  They are not for beginners.  I don't mean that to sound snobbish but the bow needs care.  I am not saying that they are delicate because they are not but they are high precision, high maintenance performers.  These bows are living things and become one with the shooter.  Not only do they need to be balanced before shooting but also can change tiller to adapt to the shooter.  A composite truly is a living being they are amazing.

Thumbs up

Kaya have also announced horn bellied KTB with birch bark backing, so it seems they have followed suit with 'Hwarang' (SMG).
The SMG version KTB also incorporates bamboo in the limb. There is another that uses maple but by a different bowyer.

Regarding power curve:

It rises steeply from 29" to 32". Poundage also rises steeply.

eg:
Kaya KTB .... 35 @ 29"...... 45 @ 32"
'Hwarang' (SMG) KTB .... 42 @ 29".......55 @ 32"

My friends, if you want to draw to 35" you must look at Jang-Gung, slightly longer bow which draws to 35".

Thumbs up

24 (edited by WarBow 2011-10-04 20:37:29)

Yes, the long version can be drawn to 35".  The problem is finding a source of 35.5" carbon arrows.

Thumbs up

WB, the longest ones I've shot are the the Gold Tip 5575 I'm using now, and I have a few that were made slightly longer (inadvertently) I had some saunders screw in glue on tip adapters, and glued on 5/16 glue on 125 grain field tips, so that adds 2 inches at least, I'm estimating the arrow is at least 34" tip to nock. I love this arrow for my KTB bows... They fly straight and hit hard! And they look great.

As for full length I have to check it, should be close, but probably not 35.5" you must have long arms!

I'm 6' 2" and it works for me perfectly, the arrows still have a bit more than an inch if I'm at my full thumbring draw...

I haven't seen longer myself, only the full length bamboo shafts that come 39" on ebay... that may be the quicker and cheaper route than having them custom made, if thats possible.. Hope you find it.

Thumbs up