1 (edited by bjarup 2011-10-03 09:11:51)

Topic: Hunting

I was wondering.......

How many of You honorable archers hunt with Your Korean bows?

What do You hunt?

How do You hunt? (from a tree stand or sneaking silently around)

What is Your succes rate?

Do You have fotos of your hunting sessions?

Thumbs up

Re: Hunting

I hunt with all my Asian style bows, a thumb ring and have been successful with squirrels and rabbits.  I am a small game hunter and it isn't any different with an Asian bow vs a "Western" style recurve once you get use to the thumb draw.

Thumbs up

I hunt also small game, have not try with thumbring, i have longbow for that.

However i practice hunting situtations when i shoot with thumbring.

This fall i will take Kaya KTB with me, just have to wait it is ready and shipped to me... smile

Mostly sneaking, sometimes with my friend and he´s dog.

Thumbs up

Just remember to video tape the whole action  big_smile !!!

Hannu wrote:

I hunt also small game, have not try with thumbring, i have longbow for that.

However i practice hunting situtations when i shoot with thumbring.

This fall i will take Kaya KTB with me, just have to wait it is ready and shipped to me... smile

Mostly sneaking, sometimes with my friend and he´s dog.

Thumbs up

Deer season opened on Saturday and squirrels have been in season since Aug 15 and here I am on the computer because of that nasty four letter word.  I hope I don't miss the season like I did last year.

Thumbs up

jbl wrote:

Deer season opened on Saturday and squirrels have been in season since Aug 15 and here I am on the computer because of that nasty four letter word.  I hope I don't miss the season like I did last year.

Tell the boss you need time to go hunting, and that you were looking for a job when you found this one, and you weren't looking real hard

Thumbs up

Lmao! You guys are funny! It's hard to get out I know with the wife and kids it's like pulling teeth but you gotta do it cause when you do have the time, the season will be over and that will be it! On that note, I need to get out myself this weekend..

Thumbs up

Although I am not a hunter (not much to hunt here in Korea and I'm always in the States off-season), I am happy for you guys when you get out in the woods, doing what you enjoy doing.  However, I do a different kind of hunting that allows me to get out in nature and find things--mine is more of the Indiana Jones style:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/252165_10150203409082045_625267044_7397878_4924041_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248491_10150203409447045_625267044_7397885_1626865_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/246793_10150205179132045_625267044_7416915_5748129_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/207546_10150149171432045_625267044_6942923_6158787_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/207265_10150151132992045_625267044_6955439_6285614_n.jpg

Thumbs up

I am more of a small game guy for several reasons the first I hate tree stand hunting, I am not a big fan of venison and being more of an archer vs hunter small game gives me more of a chance to shoot arrows.  Rabbit season started last week and I plan on being at my friend's farm on Saturday to make some meat.

Thumbs up

The best pheasant
hunting I've ever had was when I was stationed North of the Imjin

Thumbs up

Jbl, I hear rabbit hunting with arrows is a blast! Fast action, and fantastic table fare. As for venison, it has to be prepared properly or it won't be great. The silver skin must all be removed and I soak it in vinegar water for at least 30 mins and it tastes great.

Thomas that's amazing! Do you go to famous battle grounds to search for those? I know that people like to scour old civil war battle grounds in search of sabot bullets, wow.. What period are those slugs from?

I am going to hunt with my Korean bow the next time out, I haven't been shooting my compound much after I discovered Korean archery, it's like an addiction... Gun hunting doesn't even appeal to me much anymore..

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Thomas that's amazing! Do you go to famous battle grounds to search for those? I know that people like to scour old civil war battle grounds in search of sabot bullets, wow.. What period are those slugs from?

I found them on Ganghwa Island, here in Korea.  They are from the first US-Korea military conflict in 1871.  I will be searching there again on Sunday.

Thumbs up

Thomas do you think the slugs you found are from American or Korean muskets? looked like a Minnie ball and a round ball, the Minnie looks to be About .50 cal? And the round ball smaller like it was a .36 from a colt navy black powder revolver or a .44, hard to tell from pics.. the muskets were black powder too. Very interesting and cool. I also own and shoot black powder revolvers and rifles, tons of fun but lots of cleaning up afterwards or they will corrode really easily as the black powder is mostly different salt compositions. This is when the US first tried to make contact with Korea I assume? Couldn't they all just get along? Lol...

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Thomas do you think the slugs you found are from American or Korean muskets? looked like a Minnie ball and a round ball, the Minnie looks to be About .50 cal? And the round ball smaller like it was a .36 from a colt navy black powder revolver or a .44, hard to tell from pics.. the muskets were black powder too. Very interesting and cool. I also own and shoot black powder revolvers and rifles, tons of fun but lots of cleaning up afterwards or they will corrode really easily as the black powder is mostly different salt compositions. This is when the US first tried to make contact with Korea I assume? Couldn't they all just get along? Lol...

Most of what I found are American.  The .50 cal. is from a .50-45 Remington rolling block carbine; the .577 minie is from a Springfield rifled musket; the .69 is from a Whitneyville Plymouth rifled musket.  The first picture is of a Korean .45 cal. musket ball from a matchlock musket.  Yes, these are all from June 11, 1871 (I can almost tell you down to the hour).

Thumbs up

I read about it after you said where they were from, the Koreans got their butts kicked in 15 minutes with over 200 dead and only 3 losses on the American side, it must have been a blood bath... Match locks against remington  blocks, it was purely out matched, They might as well have been shooting volleys of arrows, or used the rocket propelled arrow carts, instead of using match locks (by the ocean it must have been crappy conditions for them). The Koreans even threw rocks at the Americans, crazy stuff. Technology wins wars.

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

I read about it after you said where they were from, the Koreans got their butts kicked in 15 minutes with over 200 dead and only 3 losses on the American side, it must have been a blood bath... Match locks against remington  blocks, it was purely out matched, They might as well have been shooting volleys of arrows, or used the rocket propelled arrow carts, instead of using match locks (by the ocean it must have been crappy conditions for them). The Koreans even threw rocks at the Americans, crazy stuff. Technology wins wars.

It's a very fascinating story that I've been researching since the mid-90s--besides Korean trad archery, it's the one area I consider myself to be an authority (see my website www.shinmiyangyo.org).  My Ph.D. dissertation is on it, which I think will be quite eye-opening.  Fun fact: Of the more than five-hundred sailors on the flagship USS Colorado, 56% of them were not native-born Americans--most were Europeans; the first "American" serviceman killed in Korea was Pvt. Denis Hanrahan (USMC), who was a native of Kilkenny, Ireland.  It's a similar story for the other four ships' crews.

Thumbs up