Topic: Kaya Khan arrived

Beautiful little bow.

Now I just need the thumb ring, the arrow shafts, feathers, nocks, inserts and broadheads.

It's a working bow, so I'll be using broadheads all the time (non sharp ones for training).

Thumbs up

Re: Kaya Khan arrived

Bjarup, you don't need a thumbring for the khan, it won't work the way it's intended with the shelf. The khan is meant for 3 finger draw, which it does very well. Also I have to say that mountain man beaver fur string silencers work very well at silencing the shot to nothing. I personally use gold tip 55/75 traditional wood grain pattern carbon arrows and shoot them full length. I also put 100 grain brass inserts at the point to keep it front heavy with 125 grain field tips and a 3 fletch right wing helical, 5 inch feathers. shoots like a dream and the arrows penetrate at least 2-3" deeper into my target than my 70lb draw compound bow, the Mathews Z7 Extreme that's rated at 320 gps IBO. It might not be as fast but at 20yards it's plenty fast. If you want to try thumbring without breaking the bank, then get the kaya KTB, or if you want better get a Hwarang from blue lake. I just got a Brand new one in today from him, and it is sweet! Will post pics and review shortly.

Thumbs up

Trident
It seems that You shoot some rather heavy arrows.  Did You crono the Khan and / or the Hwarang?
How does the Hwarang draw weight feel compared to the Khan?
I am receiving a dz of Tonkin bamboo arrow shafts shortly and I am giving it a shot at building my own arrows, based on Your description.
These shafts are almost 500 grains by themselves.
Do You have any recommendations for inserts and points weight wise?

Thumbs up

bjarup I do shoot some heavy arrows... They weigh about the same as what bamboo arrows would weigh, which is what I plan to use once I get around to making them. I have not had a chance to chrono the bows yet, but when I get a chance I will. As for the inserts, I bought the glue on field point tips, but got them in 11/32, as I had some in 5/16 and it wouldn't even go over the tips. I have to drill a 1/8" hole, plug it with 1/8" wooden dowel, and I plan on cutting self nocks by using 3 saw blades taped together, center one facing opposite direction, and then use a 1/8" round file to do the fine work for the nock. And then bind in front of the nock with artificial sinew and use feather fletch. I think that would do it. But we will see. They are 33" and I am not going to cut them but leave them full length, as my thumbring draw is about 32" I think so these arrow length should be perfect. I tried lighter arrows, and they were fishtailing all over the place with my Khan. I know its not only the form, as my form has improved a lot from the first day out with it, and I tried recently again with lighter weight arrows and I was not happy with the flight characteristics and accuracy. I find the heavier arrows hit harder and are easier to control. For hunting the heavy weight will get you enough FPE to blow through the animal with broadheads. That is more important than the speed. It shoots plenty fast for me. I think I could have gone with a lighter draw bow and still got similar results but I wanted to have the most power possible, and the khan delivers. It is very easy to shoot for 3 finger draw. I find myself pointing it lower than you would expect it to have to be, but its dead on. And quiet, with the calf hair rest, I can only hear the feathers whizz and hit the target, boom. Thats it. The thumbring shooting bows are slightly louder  because you can hear the arrow shaft as it passes the arrow pass (leather strip).

Thumbs up

What I plan to do is make a bunch of bamboo arrows, find out which ones shoot best, and set those aside and glue on some wensel woodsman or magnus snuffer broadheads, and try with those. All the carbon arrows I have been shooting lately that have slight irregularities are getting judo points put on them and will be shot at trees and such. I hurt my hand a few days ago, so I'm taking it easy right now. I would also recommend the gold tip wood grain carbon arrows 55/75 for your set up. You should be able to find some for like $75 bucks shipped for a dozen shafts. Put some 5" feathers on them (3) of them, and a 125 point and you will be good to go. I also added 100grn brass weight inserts for the tips to make it Front heavy, which seems to work quite well. But thats the set up I am using. I think stability is key to accuracy for my set up. Oh, and the beaver string silencers are amazing in quieting the shot and reducing even more vibration down to nothing. This has worked for me. Now I have too many bows, and not enough time to shoot them all! They are each so different.

Thumbs up

6 (edited by bjarup 2011-10-12 07:33:05)

Trident

Thanks for Your posts.  I'm eating it like candy. ;-)

I'm going for the heavy arrows and I'm going to do the bamboo ones myself.

I'm going to use Montec threaded broadheads, as these are awailable in both hunting version and training version sharing the exact same caracteristics.

I might do a thread of my first attempt.  We'll see.

Thumbs up

Bjarup how's it shooting for you? I'm going to get a lighter weight khan probably 40 pounds, my draw is 29" so that should be 42 actual draw weight pounds since the poundage is measured at 28" for this bow. I think it will be more fun to shoot. My 55 pound khan is a beast.

Thumbs up

8 (edited by bjarup 2011-10-23 10:22:05)

Trident

I have only shot a few shots with the Khan as I have an injury in my left shoulder (bike accident) which hurt when drawing.

But I do notice that the Khan has some serious potential.

Did You have any chance to do some chronoing?  I'm very interested in how much energy the Khan may deliver at various draw lengths and arrow weights.

I was wondering. With a draw lenght at max 31". How much energy could the KTB or Hwarang deliver at what power (40#, 50# etc.)

Thumbs up

9 (edited by ginni 2011-10-23 19:46:09)

I put my 70 lbs SMG into a chrono.
With Easton FMJ dangerous game, 32,5 length, 52,5 grams (818 grains), I got constantly 205 fps. With lighter arrows, 47-48 grams bamboo, I got 318-320 fps. I think this is 99,3 joules of kinetic energy.

Thumbs up

Ginni those are pretty impressive numbers.  These bows certainly are efficient.

Thumbs up

11 (edited by WarBow 2011-10-24 19:57:20)

Eugen,

Did you draw to your usual 33" to achieve those speeds?

Thumbs up

Someone might try out a trigger release and a D loop.  The result should even be better  big_smile .

bjarup wrote:

Trident

I have only shot a few shots with the Khan as I have an injury in my left shoulder (bike accident) which hurt when drawing.

But I do notice that the Khan has some serious potential.

Did You have any chance to do some chronoing?  I'm very interested in how much energy the Khan may deliver at various draw lengths and arrow weights.

I was wondering. With a draw lenght at max 31". How much energy could the KTB or Hwarang deliver at what power (40#, 50# etc.)

Thumbs up

Warbow, FMJ comes only in 32,5 inches, but I can obtain few mm from the nock and also the point is pretty long. So I think I draw 32,5 from notch to belly.
However, I did this in summer, when it was hot outside and hwarang loses power when is hot.
Also I have a semihorn bow from SMG which I think is the best, is 75lbs@28. Sunday I got with this bow 328 meters, by comparison with the 70 lbs which got only 301 meters.
I was surprised by a 65 lbs YMG bow, short, it shots 298 meters, very close to the more heavy 70 SMG.

I am waiting for the chrono to make speed test in cold.

Now I seen I made a mistake in my last post, with bamboo I got 218-220, not 318-320 fps, sorry!

I will put new numbers soon.

Thumbs up

Sorry I have not had a chance to Chrono yet I have been traveling with work and stuff. I hope to chrono the bows this weekend, and will let you guys know. I just got the chrono in and haven't had a chance to set it up but it should be easy to do. I have a few bows I will be testing, and will let you all know how it goes...

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Sorry I have not had a chance to Chrono yet I have been traveling with work and stuff. I hope to chrono the bows this weekend, and will let you guys know. I just got the chrono in and haven't had a chance to set it up but it should be easy to do. I have a few bows I will be testing, and will let you all know how it goes...

How did the chronoing go? :-)

Thumbs up

I was curious about the Khan and decided to take the plunge.  Ordered a LH 55# Khan last week.  It arrived yesterday.  The bow is smooth and easy to draw to 32" with thumb ring.

Thumbs up

WarBow, does the Khan have static or working recurves?    neutral

Will

Thumbs up

Will, the Khan do have static working tips.

WillScarlet wrote:

WarBow, does the Khan have static or working recurves?    neutral

Will

Thumbs up

The 55# Khan is about 70# in peak draw weight at 32" draw.

Thumbs up

Oh dear, I have been pulling the Khan quite a few times to 32" today.  I heard a cracking sound from the last pull.  Upon closer inspection of the lower limb, I found a slim and narrow piece of fiberglass or wood that is de-laminated or splintered off.  I immediately unstrung the Khan.    sad   Not a good start . . .

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear about that, but better now than when out of warranty.    sad

Glad it didn't break and get you hurt!!

Thumbs up

You need to notify the company you bought it from right away.  The Khan is a great little bow (I was showcasing it, along with the KTB for Kaya this past week), but, like any type of bow, there can be glitches. 

It was intended to be drawn to 28", although it can go further than that; however, I wouldn't recommend doing it a lot.

Thumbs up

Thomas, how did the ATA show go?   big_smile

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

Thomas, how did the ATA show go?   big_smile

It was great, just like last year.  It was especially made that way--for me--because of great people like those from Kaya, Greatree, Angel, and Fivics.  They are all top-notch operations, with people who are very kind and generous.

Thumbs up

Thank you Thomas for the advice.  I already contacted the vendor last week and just received a reply today.

Thumbs up