Topic: THE HWARANG AND HUNTING.

I plan on taking my Hwarang to the woods this winter. It will be mid December here in MI, and cold. But, I will finally get a brake in my studies.

This maybe a topic that was touched on before, but not specifically for the use of hunting.

It would not be advantageous to raise the bow high above the head while pursuing game.

So my question is, does anyone here hunt with the Korean bow, and if so how do you draw the bow while being so close to game?

I saw this gentleman on youtube and thought that it might work.

Please, let me know if any one has any ideas or experience. This is all new for me.

Thank you and kind regards,

Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7BuRhX … re=related

Thumbs up

Re: THE HWARANG AND HUNTING.

Joe,

There is no reason why you need to raise the bow over your head to shoot; many people do not.  It's just a traditional technique that probably has more to do with long distance shooting anyway.  I doubt very seriously that, in war, Korean archer warriors would have drawn their bows in that fashion.  The straight-on drawing will work just fine.

T

Thumbs up

Joe remember last year when I was so excited about my Hwarang squirrel at my friend's farm?  I just use the push pull method that Chris and others use. 
Jamie

Thumbs up

Thomas, thank you for the input.

Yes, as you know Jamie, I'm well aware of the push pull method. Are you drawing the bow back to 32" with the push pull method? It may be the best way to go if you can get it consistently back to full draw.

I was just wanting to get some thoughts on any historical or traditional Korean approach to this topic. Not much is out there that I have seen.

Also, ymjang007 of youtube fame, has a draw that does not ever seem to be too consistent.

My "aim" is to find a traditional Korean style of draw that would provide consistent and repeatable results, while hunting large game animals such as the white tail.

The push pull method maybe the approach as you suggest until I am further educated.

Also, as Thomas suggested, the draw illustrated in the  video above would also work very nice, perhaps even more consistent.

Thumbs up

Raven, I'm finding that at shorter hunting distances say to 40 yds drawing up on the target or drawing straight on the target works better for me since the bow never blocks my view of the target. beyond I'll be looking under my hand so I come from high to low
bob ,

Thumbs up

raven wrote:

Thomas, thank you for the input.

Also, as Thomas suggested, the draw illustrated in the  video above would also work very nice, perhaps even more consistent.

You're welcome.  Just remember that the fellow in the video was evidently an early learner (We are all students of the bow!), so you need to take it for what it's worth.  Still, the general style is one you can probably work with.

As for consistency, it all depends upon context.  If you are shooting long distance (i.e. 145m), your stance, draw, release, etc. would necessarily be different from hunting distances (i.e. 20-30m).  If you plan to do both, you should practice both.  It was slightly humorous years ago when I brought a 3D buck to my Korean club (that buck, now, is what they use at the WTAF--they never returned it to my club); the members who would shoot at it (some refused to, as they were opposed to shooting at anything that resembled an animal) would consistently aim too high and shoot a meter or more over its back (at around 30m).  Their aim got better when I moved it out to the 145m mark.

Thumbs up

Ah, if they don't shoot at it that's weird... I shoot at 3d targets all the time, its not the same as a real animal, it's that superstitious Buddhist thinking which I am aware of but don't agree with. There is nothing wrong with hunting and killing an animal as long as it's consumed and not left for dead. I dont get their attitudes about sustenance. You can't live on rice and kimchee alone. Its like people who eat fish and not meat and say they are vegetarian, or my Indian friend who fancies leather wallets and shoes but won't eat beef, jeez guys cut the BS. Seriously...

Thumbs up

Thomas we need a hunting section opened up on the forum for guys who want to post their pics and experiences. I think it would be great exposure for korean bows and Korean archery to expand on hunting for a lot of guys on the forum that live outside Korea and hunt. My family Is from Korea, none of them hunt and my grandmother about faints if I mention it or what me and my father has been doing for the past 30 years something about it's wrong to kill buddhas horse but I will not get into a religious discussion here. We eat everything we "harvest" in my house. Killing Fish is okay but killing animals are not for some reason. To me they are all gifts to mankind and should be respected and enjoyed by all. Just my personal opinion guys. I'm a red blooded American as it gets but have my roots in the old country. Where... They... Don't... Hunt.. only rich people hunt in korea from what I've seen. It's not a god given right over there which is sad. Though a few of my fathers friends hunt wild pigs and pheasants with high power PCP air rifles.

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Ah, if they don't shoot at it that's weird... I shoot at 3d targets all the time, its not the same as a real animal, it's that superstitious Buddhist thinking which I am aware of but don't agree with. There is nothing wrong with hunting and killing an animal as long as it's consumed and not left for dead. I dont get their attitudes about sustenance. You can't live on rice and kimchee alone. Its like people who eat fish and not meat and say they are vegetarian, or my Indian friend who fancies leather wallets and shoes but won't eat beef, jeez guys cut the BS. Seriously...

Actually, there were only a couple of the members who wouldn't shoot at it (and they eat meat right along with everyone else!).  I don't think it has necessarily much, if anything, to do with Buddhism; there is an old story that went around when I first started shooting Korean trad about a high-ranked archer who once wanted to see how skillful he was, so he shot a bird out of a tree--after that point, he could not hit the broadside of a barn with the doors closed.  Korean archers feel they will "lose balance" if they use their bows to kill an animal.  It's very strange, as Korean archers for centuries were renowned bowhunters, so it doesn't make any sense.  I think it's something that may have been instilled in archers during the Japanese occupation--the Japanese may have had something to do with it, as they wanted to discourage Koreans from making them wear Arrow Shirts  wink

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Trident, well put. Respect should be given the animal, and we should perceive it as a privilege. To sustain ourselves.

For indigenous people all over the world, hunting had and has a very spiritual component to it, and respect of the animal was a priority.

Hunting has gotten a very bad name, and for good reason in some cases. I won't rant on about the so called "hunting" that takes place on the TV shows, or the minimizing of an animals life just because it does not have huge antlers.

Hunting has become a source of vanity for the vast majority of hunters. By minimizing the animal, a person minimizes them self.

This is why I posed the question, in an effort to become as accurate as possible at a close range using the Korean bow and thumb ring. To insure, as much as we can, good shot placement that minimizes any pain and suffering.

To just go out and not put the "work" into it would be a disrespect to the animal, and from which it is we come.

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Thomas we need a hunting section opened up on the forum for guys who want to post their pics and experiences. I think it would be great exposure for korean bows and Korean archery to expand on hunting for a lot of guys on the forum that live outside Korea and hunt.

Your wish is my command...

Thumbs up

Yes this forum is a wealth of knowledge and a great place to learn and share our experiences with one another. I am grateful to be a part of it, and if Korean archery can get more positive influence in the U.S. And other parts of the world, because of it, then thats great.

Thumbs up

Well, i have been hunter for many years, first started with compound bow, next firearms, shotgun and rifle, and finally recurve and longbows.

Lately i have been training with horsebows and naturally next step is Korean bow.

I bet i am only one with Korean bow and thumbring when i go hunting with some traditional bowhunters this winter... lol

Thumbs up

Hannu,

That is a pretty safe bet.

Also, here in U.S., not many of us are hunting with the ring, and even fewer with the Korean bow. Please, let us know how you do? Are you hunting in Finland?

Thumbs up

Raven,

Yes, i hunt here in Finland. Nearest place to hunt is just 20 kilometers from my home...  smile

Thumbs up