Topic: Made my own bamboo arrows for the first time....

Bamboo arrows, are just beautiful and look and feel amazing in the hand. I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, and Im dying to do so.

I just made my first batch of bamboo arrows, not from scratch but I got pre-spined and finished shafts on eBay, and added glue on field tips (125gr 11/32 size) and nocks (11/32), and used my bitzenburger right hand helical jig to fletch 5" feathers. I bought some tips and nocks 5/16 but they didn't fit. 11/32 is the right size for these it seems.

Items needed:

1. Bamboo shafts full length(33") spined at 70-75, since my bows are around 45-50lb draw, the Korean bows require higher spine than actual the sellers say. I bought shafts from 3 different sellers and they all look very similar except slight differences in color.
2. Arrow sharpener, (11/32 size), the one I have is used for wood arrows and worked perfect for me. One end makes a slightly longer taper that is the tip and the other side will make the shorter taper for the nock.
3. Glue on field tips 11/32 size and 125gr ( I favor the 125 for these bows)
4. Marco or snap on glue on nocks 11/32 size in black, or any color you choose.
5. True flight or gateway 5" barred feathers
6. Arrow insert hot glue
7. Wood cutting board or block to push down points, and stove to heat glue.
8. Serving thread or nylon thread for binding if wanted.

It was straight forward, and not hard at all. The hard part was getting the right size accessories which are outlined above. 11/32 fits all the shafts I have tried it in so far while 5/16 for the most part didn't.

Determine which end is thicker and heavier, this is easy to see.
That will be your point end. Use the arrow end sharpener to sharpen the tip.
Heat hot glue and put on arrow tip, put glue on field point on top, twist on, and use wood block to hold the point as you push down the shaft, push hard, you don't want it coming out. I then reheat the field tip over the stove again briefly, and push down again, it goes in even further.
Let cool and peel away any and all glue on tip. You don't need a lot just enough to fill the tip. Some of them had a small hole where the bamboo is hollow, I filled it with as much hot glue as I could. Some guys recommend a wooden dowel, which I did buy but didn't use as I think it is tough as it is.
Sharpen the nock end with shorter end of the sharpener. Heat glue, put on nock end filling the hollow if any on the nock end. Put nock end over stove for a second or two and then put the plastic nock on, don't press too hard or the heat and pressure will break or bend the nocks.
Clean off excess.
Let cool down.
Fletch arrow feathers leaving 1/2 or 3/8 inch from end of feather to beginning of nock. I use fletch tape as its much better for feathers and clean. After all feathers fletched, use drop of fletch glue on the ends of the feathers to keep them secure. Let dry. That's it!

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2280.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7015.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6595.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5036-1.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/hwarang1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5277.jpg

Hope you guys can post some pics and make your own! I know they aren't the "real" Korean arrows that cost $20-$50 each!!! Mine cost a fraction of that!!
But I hope they can fly and look good for being handmade by me. Maybe one day when I have the time I will make some from scratch but it is a huge process if you have seen Thomas's Korean bamboo arrow making video which inspired me to make my own. It was so much fun making them. I have yet to weigh them or shoot them, the ones I did weigh were all different weights, ranging from 420gr-530gr, all over the place. I will see how they shoot and hold up and report back.

Thumbs up

Re: Made my own bamboo arrows for the first time....

I think that they are great. Please let us know how they fly. This might be just the way for me to get started with bamboo arrows.

Joe

Thumbs up

Great job!

Thumbs up

Good looking arrows!

Just one advice: tie some thread on both side of feathers just for case. Looks traditional and fletchs stay on place...  wink

Bamboo is so hard to find, Ebay maybe, but i will make some wooden arrows, just must order some shafts, i can have them from here Finland...

Thumbs up

Thanks guys! Hannu, I was thinking about the thread and I will try that out, I didn't have the right thread on hand, I plan on using fishing rod guide wrapping thread, it's a nice nylon thread. You can see in the pictures the arrow on the top has serving thread behind the point and in front of the nock, it needs some clear coat nail hardener, gonna steal some from the wife and see how that works. eBay is the best bet for bamboo shafts from china they ship all over the world, and buy in bulk, you will end up saving a lot later on...

Thumbs up

Wooden arrows are great if they are barreled tapered.   big_smile

Hannu wrote:

Good looking arrows!

Just one advice: tie some thread on both side of feathers just for case. Looks traditional and fletchs stay on place...  wink

Bamboo is so hard to find, Ebay maybe, but i will make some wooden arrows, just must order some shafts, i can have them from here Finland...

Thumbs up

Very Nice-BRAVO!!!!  I love my bamboo a lot more tolerant of spine.

Thumbs up

Well I shot some today and they are sweeeeet! They feel so solid, like something tangible like real arrows, nothing like carbon so far that I have shot. They shoot just as good if not better and their heavier weight gets me even better penetration it's crazy. I am in love. I could not shoot another carbon arrow again and never mind that. It's that good. No BS. Shoot some bamboo and you won't go back! They just feel so natural when shooting. I've shot wooden arrows but I like the bamboo better, just my preference.

Thumbs up +1

9 (edited by WarBow 2011-11-21 07:08:35)

Trident, Bearpaw will come out with the Heavy Hunter arrow at 15 grains/inch, but I have a feeling bamboo is more economical in the long run.  Oh I forgot to add that the Heavy Hunter is 100% carbon fiber!

Thumbs up

10 (edited by WarBow 2011-11-21 02:24:20)

Very nice work, Trident!  Don't we wish that we have more choices of tanged arrowheads instead of socketed ones?

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Very nice work, Trident!  Don't we wish that we have more choices of tanged arrowheads instead of socketed ones?

You know?  You're right.  That would be great.  Some of the Korean fletchers make their own tanged points for historic arrows, but nothing is available commercially here.  It would be nice if we had smiths like England's Hector Cole to make historic points for bamboo arrows.  I met the oldest blacksmith in Korea a year or so ago (and there are not many smiths left), but I doubt I could interest him into doing it.  We might need to look in other countries where the tradition still thrives.

Here is an iron point I found a week ago on Ganghwa Island, compared to a historic reproduction of a bodkin type (second from top) made by a Korean fletcher:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/305129_10150377936552045_625267044_8619288_168727873_n.jpg

Here is one found by a friend of mine, the same time I found mine, but of a different type:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/393579_10150376129162045_625267044_8614465_1534871661_n.jpg

Thumbs up +1

12 (edited by WarBow 2011-11-21 07:17:10)

Thomas, the historical arrowheads can be replicated by mostly machines instead of 100% hand made.  The only issues are demand and cost.

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Thomas, the historical arrowheads can be replicated by mostly machines instead of 100% hand made.  The only issues are demand and cost.

True, but I was thinking more towards handmade (the traditionalist in me...)

Thumbs up

Trident,
Did you get a weight on the rest of the arrows? It would be interesting to know what the weight is?

How was the accuracy of the bamboo?

I just did some experimenting with weight tubes in full length carbons. And they add a lot of weight. I want to start using bamboo, but will have to wait until season is over. These specific tubes add 5 grains per inch.

This is just over 450 grains with tips and all. For penetration I have heard that about 10-11 grains per pound of draw weight. So with the 45lb Hwarang that would be just about right.

Please, keep us updated on your arrows.

Very nice work.....I may have to order a dozen from you..:-)

Thumbs up

Wow that bodkin type looks just like a huge nail tip. Nice.

Thumbs up

Hey raven sure... The bamboo flys pretty straight, I'm very impressed. And they are solid I think they may be more durable than carbon even. Especially when built correctly. It just feels so much better to shoot it's hard to explain. I may never buy another carbon arrow for these bows again.

Thumbs up

I just received two arrows from Trident today. I had a chance to shoot them out of the 55# Hwarang.

I am so impressed with them. They fly straight, are beautiful to look at, and they feel so right in the hand. Also, I have not gotten a chance to weigh them, but they feel much more dense than other common wood arrows.

A lot more "heft" than the carbon arrows that Im used to shooting. I will be ordering some bamboo after hunting season!

thanks George,

Joe

Thumbs up

Hi Folks  The only source of tanged arrows I can find online (At $5 each) is here:  http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Me … heads.html.  I haven't ordered from them but will when I'm ready to make traditional arrows.

Bluelake, what is the weight of the traditional head you recovered?

Thumbs up

Or try this source: http://www.bytheswordinc.com/c-543-dama … heads.aspx

Thumbs up

Warbow

You must have deeper pockets than I do!  Or maybe its just that I'm of good Scottish stock....

Thumbs up

Actually, I just want to illustrate how expensive these type of arrowheads are.  A simple stainless steel version will do for me if there are any.

Kanuck wrote:

Warbow

You must have deeper pockets than I do!  Or maybe its just that I'm of good Scottish stock....

Thumbs up

Kanuck wrote:

Bluelake, what is the weight of the traditional head you recovered?

It's heavily oxidized, so a lot of the weight would be missing, but it currently weighs about 140gr.

Thumbs up

23 (edited by Kanuck 2011-12-06 13:37:09)

Bluelake

140gr is not much for a tanged head but then it looks like most of the tang is missing for your head (if it was tanged in the first place and not a socket head).  The other head your friend recovered will go closer to 300gr I imagine.  On a bamboo shaft of 32" that would represent a fair degree of balance Forward Of Centre (FOC).  Do traditional fletchers worry much about the degree of FOC?  How heavy are the brass points that are traditional in KTA target shooting?

Warbow

I understand.  Those damascus heads are beautiful and seem to come in more variations of the tanged type than their standard heads do.  I have a query into the company regarding the mass of some of their tanged heads but no reply yet.  Actually, I see the damascus heads have mass and dimensions posted in the online catalogue.  I'm surprised at how light most of these heads are!  Even the heaviest only seems to be 225gr.

Kanuck

Thumbs up

Kanuck wrote:

Bluelake

140gr is not much for a tanged head but then it looks like most of the tang is missing for your head (if it was tanged in the first place and not a socket head).  The other head your friend recovered will go closer to 300gr I imagine.  On a bamboo shaft of 32" that would represent a fair degree of balance Forward Of Centre (FOC).  Do traditional fletchers worry much about the degree of FOC?  How heavy are the brass points that are traditional in KTA target shooting?

You are correct--most of the tang is missing.

I'm sure FOC is considered by the Korean fletchers, although they do things pretty much from experience (and make it look easy!).  Regarding the weight of the brass points--I don't remember their weight; however, they are hollow brass, thin-walled and quite light.  I have unused ones somewhere; if I find what I did with them, I'll weigh one.

Thumbs up

I'd be willing to bet they weigh real close to a .30 carbine case

Thumbs up