Topic: New Hwarang Ordered

Hi Folks

After shooting longbows for the last few years and playing with a Mongolian style bow a bit, I've decided I am going to try my hand with the Hwarang and have ordered a 50#@ 28" model from our esteemed host - Bluelake.  I chose this weight because it is the highest minimum allowed for all species of game in Canada's provinces and territories. 

While my longbow draw (on bows from 70 - 100 lbs....well maybe a little shorter at 100 lbs wink  ) is 28", my draw length with the Hwarang is going to be closer to 32".  What sort of draw weight at full draw can I expect?  I am expecting between 58-62#.

Lastly, I am an primitive/traditional archery geek and I enjoy all the technical aspects of bow and arrow design and manufacture.  That being said, has anyone ever done a force draw curve on their Hwarang?  With a power stroke of almost 27 inches I imagine the stored energy will be very impressive.

Best Regards

Kanuck

Thumbs up

Re: New Hwarang Ordered

Kanuck, we are similar in thoughts!  I am hitting the gym a bit lately and wants to eventually pull a 120# Hungarian horn/sinew composite bow  big_smile .

Thumbs up

Warbow
Bucket lifts....lots and lots of bucket lifts....with both arms.  When you can bucket lift 150# your goal of 120# will be easy smile

Thumbs up

4 (edited by WarBow 2011-12-06 06:49:30)

Any illustration you can provide?  Do I bucket lift with free weights or cable?

Kanuck wrote:

Warbow
Bucket lifts....lots and lots of bucket lifts....with both arms.  When you can bucket lift 150# your goal of 120# will be easy smile

Thumbs up

Here is a diagram for a Kaya 40lb @ 28"
http://www.aixbow.de/shop/images/diagra … 112L45.pdf

My Hwarang (smg) 42lb @ 28" .... 55lb @ 32"

Thumbs up

Hun

Thanks for the info.  The force draw curve of the Kaya is interesting - about identical to a Western recurve.  If anything, the "sweet spot" on the curve is a little before 28" and it definitely is starting to stack after that, but not too badly. I would expect the Hwarang to be a little more supple and smooth in its draw beyond 28".  13# in the last 4 inches is pretty steep but not what I would call "stacking" per se. 

Warbow

It can be done with gravity and dumbells (or even buckets of sand!) or with cables from either standing or bent over.  The main thing is to ensure you never use more weight than you can achieve full range of motion - and no jerking or building up momentum!  Try to focus on the muscles of the upper back rather than the shoulders and arms when pulling. The idea is to train all the muscles to work together rather than achieve isolation of any one muscle group. And when I say use both arms I mean one at a time, of course...  I will see if I can find a good sequence of photos.

Kanuck

Thumbs up

Is there an available FDC for the Hwarang anyplace? Would like to see one 50#@28", but any weight would do.

Will

Thumbs up

8 (edited by Kanuck 2011-12-10 09:37:02)

WillScarlet

I will be doing a FDC soon after my bow arrives and will publish the results here.  I will also be outlining the results of my full length carbon arrow spine testing via bare shafting.  I have a test kit on order from 3RA in 400, 340 and 300 TA shafts, plus field points from 100 to 190gr and brass adapters that I should be able to vary (with lead) from 75 to about 150gr.  Spine is one of those things I really, REALLY want to get right for this bow.  Once I've nailed down the spine I need for the arrow length and point weight I want to use, then I'll be able to start building bamboo arrows.

Thumbs up

Sounds like a plan....will be very interested in your results. How long till you get your bow?
Are you familiar with Stu Miller's Dynamic Spine Chart? I have it saved in my files, but can't open it because it runs with Microsoft Office 2007, which I don't have.

Thumbs up

10 (edited by Kanuck 2011-12-06 23:58:17)

I just ordered it the end of last week so it will likely be the end of January before I see it..... sad

I've played a bit with Stu's Spine Calculator but the Hwarang is so new to me that I'm only guessing at the bow model to use to try and find something comparable - cancel last - I just found the "Generic Performance Recurve/Horsebow" setting. 

There are so many variables to take into account with a new style of bow, a new release method, a new draw length etc!    I'll trust the results from a test pack rather than a spine calculator anyday, but the results might be of interest to those who follow and wish to use the spine calculator to try and get a starting point with their setup.

Thumbs up

True, the Calculator doesen't take in every absolute variable. Stu, himself says it's an ongoing thing that has to be updated constantly. He is also open to suggested improvements and additions.

Thumbs up

Just received my carbon arrow shaft test pack - Traditional Only from 3 Rivers Archery.  Bare shaft lengths from nock bottom to end of shaft and weight per shaft with nock is as follows:

size 600 - 30 5/8" - 224gr - stated grains per inch (gpi) 7.0 - calculated gpi w/nock - 7.3 - weight of aluminum insert 10gr
size 500 - 31 1/2" - 262gr - stated grains per inch (gpi) 8.0 - calculated gpi w/nock - 8.3 - weight of aluminum insert 13-14gr
size 400 - 32"       - 302gr - stated grains per inch (gpi) 9.1 - calculated gpi w/nock - 9.4 - weight of aluminum insert 13-14gr
size 340 - 32 1/2" - 334gr - stated grains per inch (gpi) 10.0 - calculated gpi w/nock - 10.3 - weight of aluminum insert 13-14gr
size 300 - 33"       - 344gr - stated grains per inch (gpi) 10.1 - calculated gpi w/nock - 10.4 - weight of aluminum insert 13-14gr

Weight of brass insert for glue on point is 75gr.  Weight of glue on field points: 99gr, 125 gr, 145gr, 160gr and 190gr.  Note that the brass insert will not fit the 600 shaft which is noticeably smaller in diameter and uses a different nock than the rest of the sizes.

My first impression is that none of the shafts is long enough to allow a proper thumbring draw, but we will see when my Hwarang arrives.  I have lots of wooden arrow shafts in poplar, ash and hickory that I can cut down and add as foreshafts to lengthen the test shafts if necessary.  I expect I will only be trying the 400, 340 and 300 sizes with this bow but wanted the other shafts on hand for spine testing arrows for other bows in future - specifically for my kids, who are all teens now.

Thumbs up

That's quite an assortment. Keep us updated, and hope your bow arrives soon.

Will

Thumbs up

New bow just arrived. 36 days from order to delivery over the Christmas holiday so good response. Now to get it home and check it out.....

Kanuck

Thumbs up

Glad to hear it made it o.k.--I look forward to hearing more after you've had time to play with it a bit  smile

Thumbs up

A new bow is always exciting.   tongue               I'm as anxious as you are!   big_smile

Thumbs up

So, I've unpacked and strung the bow (not easy to do with the step through method after years of using a bow stringer). Like others, the first thing I note is it's very low mass - 335g.  Second, I noted it's short length - 119cm overall.  It was marked on the upper limb tip as "28" 50#" which is as I requested.

The brace height from the grip to the string is 5" even.  Using the ATA method, adding 1 3/4" forward of the grip, the draw weight is as close to 50lbs as I can measure at 28".  The longest draw I can achieve is 32" ATA which seems to provide a draw weight of 64lbs, but my scale is suspect.

The finish of the bow is exceptional for the price but not perfect. There are a couple of minor flaws in the birchbark but the effect is minor.

Kanuck

Thumbs up

So, I've unpacked and strung the bow (not easy to do with the step through method after years of using a bow stringer). Like others, the first thing I note is it's very low mass - 335g.  Second, I noted it's short length - 119cm overall.  It was marked on the upper limb tip as "28" 50#" which is as I requested.

The brace height from the grip to the string is 5" even.  Using the ATA method, adding 1 3/4" forward of the grip, the draw weight is as close to 50lbs as I can measure at 28".  The longest draw I can achieve is 32" ATA which seems to provide a draw weight of 64lbs, but my scale is suspect.

The finish of the bow is exceptional for the price but not perfect. There are a couple of minor flaws in the birchbark but the effect is minor.

One odd thing, the serving on the string is very heavy requiring me to modify the plastic nocks of my test shafts. With wood nocks on bamboo shafts there will be no problem, but I still want to do tests.

Kanuck

Thumbs up

Kanuck, if you were to replace the serving, would the plastic nocks fit better? Also, do the limbs look to be able to handle "fast fight"? Do you get an owners manual or any paperwork with it?

Thumbs up

Will

There was no documentation or manual.  The two strings furnished with the bow are 46" long and seem to be 16 strand strings of a white unknown material of continuous loop construction with a mass of 90 and 92 grains. I consider the strings significantly overbuilt for the bow.  If I wanted to get the absolute maximum performance from the bow I'd consider trying a skinny string with padded loops and an abbreviated serving section. I have some 8125 with a breaking strength of 120lbs which could be used with as few as 4 strands but I'd probably go with 6 strands. But I intend on using bamboo arrows with wooden nocks so I will use the stock strings to start. Later on I may play with carbon arrows and ultra light strings.

Kanuck

Thumbs up

The white string should be Fast Flight.

Thumbs up

I may be wrong, but even with B-50 dacron I don't think you would need 16 strands.   hmm

Thumbs up

Kanuck wrote:

One odd thing, the serving on the string is very heavy requiring me to modify the plastic nocks of my test shafts. With wood nocks on bamboo shafts there will be no problem, but I still want to do tests.

Kanuck

Kanuck,

See http://hornbow.com/hktbstring.html for stringing info. 

Regarding birchbark, it is a natural material, so there will always be differences in what one gets; if one wants perfection, SMG makes all their laminated bows with a vinyl synthesized birch backing.  Personally, I like what one gets from nature, imperfections and all.

The string is made from FastFlight and is what all Korean laminated bowyers use; they do not recommend using another type of string material.  The thickness of the serving is to accommodate Korean arrows, which have a wider nock notch; for this, one size fits all--I recommend reserving the string if it's too thick (I do it for the arrows I use in the States).

T

Thumbs up

Bluelake

Thanks for the info. I'll reserve the string and see how it works.

Now I have to work on the use of my thumbrings....I'll have to build up my tolerance a lot.

Kanuck

Thumbs up

Kanuck wrote:

Bluelake

Thanks for the info. I'll reserve the string and see how it works.

Now I have to work on the use of my thumbrings....I'll have to build up my tolerance a lot.

Kanuck

I'm glad to help--please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

T

Thumbs up