1 (edited by raven 2011-12-09 22:42:49)

Topic: FPS 55# Hwarang

I just got back from the semi local trad shop and shot the techno hunt and was able to test out the hwarang and see what the  fps would be on it.

These are the numbers that I came up with. I am a little fatigued from shooting, so not all of the shots were full drawn.

Every shot was done with the same arrow. A full length 32.5 carbon that weigh 10gpi with 125 grain field tip, and three, four inch feathers. A longer draw would have certainly produced better results.

Also, please keep in mind that my release has yet to be perfected.

Not sure if any of you have ever checked this, but if you have any numbers that would be interesting to see, especially different makes of the KTB.

Compared to the nicest western style recurves or longbows....these numbers are very impressive.

Please comments

Thumbs up

2 (edited by raven 2011-12-09 23:44:01)

Re: FPS 55# Hwarang

For comparison, here is a video that I had watched some time ago. These are very good western style recurves for comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zON5nhW … _embedded#!

Thumbs up

Those numbers are pretty impressive.  Is this a new Hwarang or an "older" model?

Thumbs up

4 (edited by WillScarlet 2011-12-10 02:53:01)

Impressive indeed! What is your actual draw length if shooting without fatigue?  Your recorded numbers increase from top to bottom, is that the order in which you shot them?
Was your arrow 550 grains total, or 550 grains PLUS 125 gr. point?
   I'm impressed, especially if your normal DL is less than 32.5 inches!  Also, are you shooting with a ring?

Thumbs up

I was regularly shooting 210-220fps with a 50# bow several years ago when I chrono'd it.

Thumbs up

Hey Jamie,
You know Im not for sure. You probably know better than I, it is the bow that I had with the frog skin?

Thumbs up

Raven, would you be able to do a force draw curve?

Thumbs up

8 (edited by raven 2011-12-10 03:22:16)

I was drawing the bow to 32.5, that is the back of the field tip.

It really surprised the guys at the trad shop. One of the owners was looking at the numbers with me. The other owner walked up and said the only reason I was getting those numbers were because of my small feathers.

I suggested that he find a 55# bow on his rack that will shoot THESE arrows that fast? He mumbled something and walked off.

A true testament to these designs.

Thumbs up

Willscarlet, is their a formula for that? do you have it? Or would I need some measuring device for that?

Thumbs up

10 (edited by raven 2011-12-10 03:17:52)

210-220 fps out of a 50# bow is wonderful.

Bluelake, were those carbon shafts or bamboo?

Thumbs up

Korean carbons.

Thumbs up

12 (edited by WillScarlet 2011-12-10 03:33:46)

Raven, you would need a scale to measure the bow's pull weight at each inch of draw, and plot those numbers on a graph. Some one to record the numbers as you draw the bow would make it easier.
    Here is HUN'S example of a 45# Kaya @ 28"

http://www.aixbow.de/shop/images/diagra … 112L45.pdf

Thumbs up

Will,
That makes sense. I always wondered how that was done. I do not have a scale, but perhaps I will check around and see if one can be found. It would be very interesting to know.

Thumbs up

14 (edited by Kanuck 2011-12-10 09:31:33)

Raven
Is that 55# at 28"(about 67#@32") or 55# at your draw length?  Did you measure it at the shop?  Also, did you weigh the arrow?  The info you provide suggests the arrow is about 480-490gr, assuming a standard aluminum insert.  Depending on draw weight that's 7.2-8.8 grains per pound.  That's quite a spread but your velocities suggest the lower end of the spectrum for weight or grains per pound, but still very impressive.

Adam Karpowicz gives estimated velocities for typical horn, maple and sinew Turkish recurves drawn to 28" in the range of 200-215 fps for war/target bows and 197-212 for flight bows at the gpp range I believe you were working with.  To my mind, the long draw length is the design factor that allows the higher measured velocities you found.

Kanuck.

Thumbs up 0

Kanuck is quite right in what he says, the information is not entirely correct and is misleading. The arrow speeds are very impressive for a 55lb traditional bow but the fact it was drawn beyond 28", somewhat invalidates the results ... unless the bow is weighed at 32 - 32.5", at which point I would estimate nearer 70lb and the resulting fps become less impressive.

Will,
The Hwarang behaves very similarly to the Kaya, with poundage kicking in beyond 28-29".

Thumbs up

Hun is absoloutely right. I just had to have the weight checked.

Here is what they told me....@28" the bow is 50.55. And at 32.5" draw the bow is indeed 72.25lbs of draw weight.

When I originally bought the bow, it was advertised as 55# I mistook that to be 55@31.

Interesting enough, I really feel like Im handling the 72lbs with ease and glad that I have the weight. But it does take away from the impressiveness of the fps.

Hun....I thought you left us? Glad to see you back!

Thumbs up

17 (edited by Kanuck 2011-12-10 19:33:54)

22lbs weight gain in 4 1/2 inches doesn't sound right.  That bow would likely feel like crap to pull.  62lbs sounds more likely at 32.5", especially if it WAS 55# @ 31".

Thumbs up

Perhaps Ginni would like to confirm, I recall his bow of 67lb @ 28" weighing 85lb @ 33".

My own, 42 @ 28" is 55lb @ 32".

Thumbs up

I don't know if I could even draw to 28", much less to anything like 30" or more.
Right now I'm shooting 27" arrows at a 26" DL to under my eye anchor, shooting with a finger release. This is with a 49#@26" bow. I would have to "work-into" something heavier.
  Would I benifit anything at all by shooting one of these type bows if I can't get my draw past 28"?

Thumbs up

Kanuck, I agree. 62 pound increase sounds closer to the 3 lbs per inch standard.

But, I just had it in the shop this morning. When the owner was pulling down on the bow, he says "Im not sure how much more this bow can take". I reassured him that it was designed for this.

WillScarlet,
Yes, work hard at it. Make archery a tool for fitness. I have a 100 lb HIll that I often take out and shoot 10-12 arrows, and I have a 62l@ 28 recurve that I take out about 2-3 times a week and draw it back to my ear and hold for a count of 3 with the thumb ring.

I am by no measure a big guy, but I have built my back through archery, and am able to pull good solid hunting weights.

If you look at archery as a discipline......then work at getting stronger,  more disciplined which will increase strength.

In addition, a few different dumb bell workouts can be of benefit.

Thumbs up

Raven

It appears these bows are unique in the archery world.  I look forward to receiving mine and hope to be able to study others to help determine their physical qualities and plot force draw curves from their low brace height to the point where the bowstring makes a 90 degree angle with the tip.

I also shoot Howard Hill bows and own them in 70, 85 and 100lbs @28" but I think my heavier Hills are going to be put up for sale.  As I close in 49 years this spring and feel all the minor aches and pains I'm coming to appreciate lighter bows that are more efficient, like the Hwarang.  So long as I can teach myself to hit with it and a thumbring, I see no reason to hunt with anything heavier.

If anyone has a KTA bow they aren't using that they'd be willing to loan me for study purposes, please PM me.  All results will be published on this forum for the benefit of all.  There appears to be a lack of systematic and technical study of these wonderful little bows.

Best Regards

Kanuck

Thumbs up

Raven,
Strange feeling isn't it? Certainly does not feel as heavy as it is and definitely nothing like normal stacking but the scales don't lie.

Will,
I take it you currently shoot off the hand using fingers? Have a look at my avatar, my drawing hand (the thumbring) is level with my earlobe. Ideally it would reach the point of my deltoid, perhaps another inch and a bit. This changed my old 29" draw to 33" (35" had I bought the Janggung)
I find this long draw is far more stable and balanced, allows the back to be fully utilised (squeezing the scapulae) and has a natural stopping point as opposed to fixed reference point.
Your upper arm will be in a stronger position, with less stress on the biceps. Give it a try using a measuring tape, you will be surprised how long your draw will become.

Using one of these bows with western style will still give you good performance, however drawn to full potential will have other archers exclaiming all sorts as they see the crazy limb angles and the screaming speed of the arrows.

Thumbs up

HUN, thanks for the encouragement. I just now took a tape measure, and with the help of my wife, measured from the web of my bow hand to my shoulder deltoid, 36". This is with arm fully extended to the extreme without any resistence so I know this will shorten considerably
when actually shooting a bow, still, maybe I CAN reach that 30" draw!  I'm hoping that the feeling of "less poundage" than the bow actually is will manifest itself to me because I want a bow of, at least, 50#. So, I suppose, to be at 50#, when (if) I reach 30", I should start with a bow rated 45#@28"?

Thumbs up

24 (edited by WarBow 2011-12-11 23:43:50)

I had the exact same problem at the local indoor 18 meter club.  Earlier last year I took the 50# KTB there for a spin.  The reaction is what you described below.  The range officer didn't like it at all because my thumb ring didn't fit and threw out a couple of times.  Also, I didn't know how to shoot straight: the arrows went right all the time due to grip and lack of bow rotation.

Now, I only go to an outdoor range . . .  sad

~HUN~ wrote:

Using one of these bows with western style will still give you good performance, however drawn to full potential will have other archers exclaiming all sorts as they see the crazy limb angles and the screaming speed of the arrows.

Thumbs up

big_smile  big_smile
They call your bow a toy.
You draw it and the limbs go parallel
They run for cover  lol
The arrow goes like lightening.
Looks and exclamations of disbelief.

I had a judge (term used loosely) tell me my bow was over drawn. She knew a little more about Korean bows and style when she left me.

WarBow,
I don't know how the thumbring is looked upon where you are, there are quite a few negative views here but having it fly down the range is never going to win you friends  wink Have you tried a leather one? I find they give more feel.
On the whole, our judges are a great bunch and they've always shown keen interest in the bows and arrows I've used. Most negativity, sadly, comes from the longbow element due to the bow's man made material element (regardless that this is simply to bring hornbow performance without hornbow cost) They seem quite happy to allow bamboo backing on longbows  roll

Will,
That estimate sounds about right, the 45lb achieved at 28" will feel much lighter than it is  cool

Thumbs up