1 (edited by Tiwaz 2012-02-25 21:26:20)

Topic: Carbon Arrows

Hello,I'm looking for carbon arrows to match my Kaya KTB.From what I measured I got 48 pounds at full draw.I'm shooting with thumb release. Pretty sure that the nock point is OK.

I tried carbons with a 500 spine, 54 grain insert and 85 grain point. They don't seem to fly straight.Same problem with my 2114 Alu Schafts.  To me it looks like they both have problems to stabilize at 18 meters. Both shafts have 4" fletching.

Any ideas?

Thumbs up

Re: Carbon Arrows

Tiwaz wrote:

Hello,I'm looking for carbon arrows to match my Kaya KTB.From what I measured I got 48 pounds at full draw.I'm shooting with thumb release. Pretty sure that the nock point is OK.

I tried carbons with a 500 spine, 54 grain insert and 85 grain point. They don't seem to fly straight.Same problem with my 2114 Alu Schafts.  To me it looks like they both have problems to stabilize at 18 meters. Both shafts have 4" fletching.

Any ideas?

The "Gwan Jung" ("bullseye" in Korean) arrow is made by Kaya for their bows.  You can check with either Freddie at Kaya (www.kayaarchery.com) or with Greatree Archery (www.greatreearchery.com), who is the US distributor for Kaya, for retailers in your area. 

Personally, I shoot different Korean carbons with my 50# KTB and have no problems, but you may find that your problem lies in a couple areas.  One is that Korean carbons generally have a bit stiffer spine than those in the West; the reason being, we are shooting at targets 145m away, so paradox--and, hence, spine--is not really a consideration.  Another possible problem is in shooting form; you may need to adjust your form a bit.  I shoot both short distance (20-30m) and long distance (145m) with my bows and need to adjust my form to suit the situation.

Another thing you might try is shooting lighter Western carbons (I like CarbonExpress arrows) or wood arrows (I get mine from Whispering Wind Arrows and Three Rivers Archery); you can usually find a spine that works well.

Good luck!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the answer.
I don´t have the possibility to shoot at 145m sad max I could try is 90m outside.

I´m curious now in what way do you change your technique when shooting short range?
Do you happen to know what spine the Korean carbons are? Or how many grains per inch?

I tried some light 600 spines arrows from a friend they seem to work not bad but they are a bit to short at 30". So it´s hard to say if they would actually fit.

Your right my form might be a bit of an issue too as I just started thumb shooting, I´m more used to the western way.
Do you have a contact address for Freddie?

Thumbs up

I use 7/7 and 8/8 korean carbon arrows with my #50 hwarang. They translated to 8 and 9 grains per pound.
I found 9 gpp arrows are a bit more stable and do better group at close range but 8 gpp arrows are a bit faster and flatter.

Thumbs up

Can we purchase Korean carbon arrow shafts and make our own arrows?  I notice SMG carbon arrows' shafts are much thicker than western carbon arrows.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, will try to make some 500 spine arrows where I get  up to 8,8 gpp  or 9,3 gpp perhpas that will work out.

Thumbs up

Tiwaz,
I'd take a look at the Easton Flatlines in .400 spine, They are a bit light from my KTB, (50# @31) drawn to 32.5" but when my form is on they fly well.  .340s fly better and get more distance even though they're about 60 gr. heavier when made up.

Thumbs up

Another problem with my YM carbon arrows are the relatively blunt tip.
The arrows may bounced back from some EVA 3D targets.
They also punch small round pieces of material out of backstops and some archery clubs may not happy about that.

Thumbs up

Tiwaz wrote:

Thanks for the answer.
I don´t have the possibility to shoot at 145m sad max I could try is 90m outside.

I´m curious now in what way do you change your technique when shooting short range?
Do you happen to know what spine the Korean carbons are? Or how many grains per inch?

I tried some light 600 spines arrows from a friend they seem to work not bad but they are a bit to short at 30". So it´s hard to say if they would actually fit.

Your right my form might be a bit of an issue too as I just started thumb shooting, I´m more used to the western way.
Do you have a contact address for Freddie?

Mainly, the change of technique is one of point-of-aim.  I have to aim lower and a little more to the left at shorter distances.  Also, if you are able to have a little rotation of the bow to the arrow side during release, that helps cut down on paradox.

Once when I spined Korean carbons, they were about 70#.

Freddie's e-mail is kaya@kayaarchery.com

Thumbs up

form was my answer
i shoot 340 powerflight with 125garin tips at 32,5 inches lenght, with 70 pounds
and also schoot 5575 ted nugents

to weak is not comfy, way to stiffy is okay, just twist the bow a little more

what works for you, hm, guess u'll find out soon

Thumbs up

11 (edited by Tiwaz 2012-02-27 21:28:44)

Ok so I am on the right path I just have to get the twist down wink

With 70# I can understand why zdogk9 said 400 spined arrows.

I got a few of these lying around I will have to try that out.

Something else I'm not sure about is, where do you mesure the brace hight on the bow?

Middle of the handle?

Thumbs up

Hi Tiwaz, sorry for the  late reply.  The brace height, I think, should be measured from the inside and the lowest point of the handle to the string.

Thumbs up