1 (edited by teucro 2012-05-13 09:18:40)

Topic: How to clean KAYA KTB fabric ?

The new Kaya KTB is arrived; I've tested it and shoots well.

Unfortunately she has a defect: there are some parts of covering limbs fabric that are very dirty, seems motor' grease, see attached pic - sorry, i realised not to be able to insert an image into the post.
Could somebody suggests me how the fabric can be cleaned ( with dishwashing detergent and water ?...  other cleaners ? )  or if there is any risk in doing so ?

I bougth it from an online dealer and as it seems only an aesthetic defect, I think it is not worth of starting a refund/return discussion with dealer.

Post's attachments

kaya_lib.jpg 137.12 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-05-13 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

Re: How to clean KAYA KTB fabric ?

Mine looked similar, quite as bad as yours, but similar.

Washing detergent may help.

How do you compare the KTB to other Korean bows you have shot?

Thumbs up

3 (edited by teucro 2012-05-13 14:31:12)

raven wrote:

Mine looked similar, quite as bad as yours, but similar.Washing detergent may help. How do you compare the KTB to other Korean bows you have shot?

Thank you for prompt reply, I'll try  and report on cleaning's results.

This is the first korean type bow I ever used.
Until now I shooted only Kassay and Kassay clones in the range 35# - 50# @31, measured and plotted.

This KTB is a 45# @31, not measured, only read on the package  .

Of course I shoot  only thumbring draw with this type of bows.

KTB  handle is wider than Kassay's  one , about 30%,  and this makes in my opinion a lot of difference at short distance: I have to resyncronize  my brain - eye - arm  because at present arrows go too much at right.
Not yet tested  at the range - it rains too much - only at home with a target  5 meter away
BTW  the arrows are 32" carbon spined 340  big_smile

Tested also with bamboo tonkin arrows spined 75-80# and results are very like, perhaps bamboo is a bit more forgiving.

KTB' draw is very smooth until you go near 31.5" - 32"   where it stacks.

Other impressions:
I confirm that comparing with my other 50# Kassay the hand recoil is non-existant.

For example  I remember the first times I started shooting Kassay, after a long shooting session I had some scare realizing  that I was no more able  to keep flat my hand and it was necessary a couple of days to recover.

But seems  not a weak bow despite its  feather weight and short length; not tested at long distance  but  at 5 meter the noise impact on the target with 600 grain tonkin arrow is impressive and like the stronger Kassay 50#.

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed because of stacking :  the KTB "wall" at 32" is impressive while Kassay can accomodate even more than a 33"  .

When testing at our 3D field  I'll report more

Regards

Stefano

Thumbs up

Being silver-colored, that is one of Kaya's early bows (they are now a kind of tan/brown); as such, I'm guessing it's a used bow.  That is quite a bit of grease or whatever; yeah, I'd try some kind of soft detergent.

Thumbs up

Hopefully, dish detergent will work and get rid of most of the grease like substance.

The KTB can be drawn to 33" or 34".  You just have to be more bow fit  smile .

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Being silver-colored, that is one of Kaya's early bows (they are now a kind of tan/brown); as such, I'm guessing it's a used bow.  That is quite a bit of grease or whatever; yeah, I'd try some kind of soft detergent.

Interesting, BlueLake, are there any important difference between early KTB and present one, apart of aestetics ?

I bougth  it as new from an Online italian shop...  uhm perhaps not used but very old and with years of stockage under the belt .

Done first try with wash detergent and now is better  but of course not excellent.

I'll try again once to clean it, then stop. The important thing is the performances  and on this side I'm not deceived  big_smile

Thumbs up

Teurcro I find the same thing comparing my Korean bows to my Kassai bows.  The Kassai's have a narrower arrow pass and are easier to shoot but I get better performance caste wise with the Korean bows and the Korean bows are just a pleasure to shoot.

Thumbs up

teucro wrote:

Interesting, BlueLake, are there any important difference between early KTB and present one, apart of aestetics ?

I don't think so--nothing that I've heard of, anyway.

Thumbs up

My hwarang gung (I think it 's FRP limb from YM gung) also has some stain on its back after 3 years service. I am thinking about replace the backing fabric with silk. Anyone has experience on this thing? What 's the best way to remove the glue?

Thumbs up

Hi!
I have the brown KTB, and that paisley patter is a little bit kitsch... So I tried to remove the leather but it seems to be impossible without leaving a lot of glue and remains of leather, so I discarded the idea.

Another option is to apply a leather dye to change its color. In my case, the best option may be a dark brown or black, but if you have the grey version you could use almost any color, given that the grey is relatively light...

Thumbs up